Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: low carb in general
Stats: 288/282/160 Female 5'7
BF:toooo much!!!!
Progress: 5%
Default Can I REALLY eat unlimited meats and cheeses???

Can I REALLY eat unlimited amounts of meats and cheeses? I have had TONS of people telling me that that is what Atkins is all about- and they have lost weight!!! However, when I read the book, it seemed limited because everything does have some carbs in it. I am just starting induction tomorrow and want to be sure I am clear on everything.

Thank you!!!

His,
MrsTU
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 21:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi, Well you are not supposed to eat unlimited ammounts of anything, you are supposed to eat untill you are satisfied, not stuffed. Also most meats do not contain any carbs, cheese however should be limited to 3-4 oz a day and most of your carbs should come from salad veggies

Hope I Helped.

~Dustin
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 21:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What's "unlimited" to you?

To me, it was "eat till it's gone," and if that's what it is to you, too, then No, you can't.

Atkins meant, "Eat till you are satisfied," but he didn't meet me. Admittedly, the cravings and binges have dropped off substantially since I dropped most of the carbs, but the behavior still lurks and will appear from time to time.

Atkins is calorie restricted, just at a higher level than most programs. You won't feel hungry. I can also eat much more and maintain a steady weight, rather than gaining, but I've had to work pretty hard to cut back portion size and frequency in order to lose consistently.

Up to you.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

I would say "NO" you cannot. You're supposed to eat untill satified, not gorge yourself.

Also, the extra protein from such activity would turn into glucose and that would be a problem.

Stick to basics...do not go hungry...and do not overeat! The rest will take care of itself as you progress and are in ketosis...and your hunger abates naturally!

Best wishes;
Jake
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:14
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

Yes, I found from my personal experience that you can overeat a huge amount of fat and protein early on in Atkins and still lose weight. However, I found that eventually the weight loss stops and you need to reduce your fat and protein consumption to continue losing weight.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Atkins says to eat liberally (not unlimited) meats, cheeses are limited in Induction to I think three or four oz. a day. The Rules of Induction are included here http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html . See the list of Acceptable Foods and pay attention to Special Category Foods as there are some limits. Whipped topping is not Cool-Whip because Cool-Whip has sugar in it. Good luck on your LC journey!!!