Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:29

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Default How many others here on Pre-Maintence?

I was curious if there was any other people on this board doing pre-maintence. I started a few weeks ago I am now up to 60grams of carbs a day. I have been happy to add more fruits ,veggies ,beans and I can even handle old fashioned oatmeal. At first I was scared to move on to pre maintence but its really working out good. I still am losing and still feel good. I am no longer in ketosis,which is good because I need to slow the weight lose down a little bit now. But its still coming off yeah!! I would just like to hear from others who are now on pre maintence and how many grams of carbs are they up to and how many weeks they have been on this level of the diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I've just started trying to really do pre-maintenance eating in the last week or two. Theoretically, I've been on pre-maintenance for a couple months now, but I really wasn't eating much differently. I ate yogurt and berries a bit more frequently, and got a bit heavy on the dairy and LC desserts , but that was about it. I've always completely disregarded the vegetable restrictions, though -- kept the non-veggie carbs to 10g and just ate as much green stuff as I wanted (which tends to be a pretty good bit).

The biggest change in my diet has been that I've switched from mock danish or Atkins shake breakfasts to half a big green apple with peanut butter. I don't closely track my carb intake on a routine basis (go more by servings and food groups), but I ate 54g yesterday, and that's probably pretty average. I don't really know if I'm in ketosis or not, because I've never once bothered to use the stupid pee-sticks. And it's too soon to tell if I'm still losing weight, because I have only been losing about a pound a month for the last few months anyway, and that's darn near imperceptible in terms of scale/inches. So I'm not much help, am I?

Actually, I've found the carb-adding thing more challenging than carb-cutting. I'm not the least bit interested in bread, beans, or whole grains, which leaves dairy, fruits, and starchy veggies (corn, peas, and butterbeans) as my only real options for increasing carb intake. DH is still working on weight loss, so I don't want to eat starchy veggies in front of him. In addition to not being a really good idea from a calorie standpoint, it's darn hard to eat enough dairy to significantly raise carb intake. So basically I'm eating what I ate throughout my weight loss process, plus half an apple and PB.

I'm not entirely satisfied with this, because I feel like I need to up my intake a bit more. I'm planning on quitting smoking and having a baby in the next couple years, and so I'll need to lose the inevitable weight that goes along with both of those. If I don't eat more carbs than I am now, and my body gets too used to this level, I'll be in a real pickle when it's time to drop them back down!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 04:05
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I am also theoretically in premaintenance and I am having the same problem with the carb adding. Weird, huh? I am always going be limited in the number of carbs I eat, but what I am doing is adding foods from the premaintenance list and staying slightly less than 40 most days. 40 knocks me out of ketosis-so I know my maintenance level is around 45 or 50. I do want to drop another 5 pounds because I also want to quit smoking completely and I know I will pack on a few from that.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 09:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Paleo, are you using the sticks to measure? Atkins stated that once you hit around 40 carbs the sticks won't register anymore. It could be your at the sticks CCL not yours

Premaintanance he states you should be out of ketosis anyway, it's for the weight loss stages of induction and OWL.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:58
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have been doing it for a couple weeks now.

Love it although I have to watch how my carbs are upped. Found a sl of multigrain bread, apple w/ peanut butter, and even buckwheat udon noodles are ok but white rice makes my weight spike.

But WOL for me it remains...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:24
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Paleo, are you using the sticks to measure? Atkins stated that once you hit around 40 carbs the sticks won't register anymore. It could be your at the sticks CCL not yours

Premaintanance he states you should be out of ketosis anyway, it's for the weight loss stages of induction and OWL.

Lady I am using them to measure. I totally forgot that he said they won't work over 40. Thanks for the reminder! I haven't rushed to get out of ketosis because I do want to lower the goal weight a bit-but I think you are right and I will slowly start really upping my carbs. My doc warned me I probably wouldn't get over 40-50 a day with my low thryoid. So, that has made me a bit paranoid.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:26

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Good Luck on the pre-maintenance!! I am still on induction and will be for a while.