Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/240/225 Male six feet
BF:41/33/20
Progress: 67%
Default Atkins,Keto, EAS lo Carb Bars and confusion

I have been eating a few of the atkins and other bars for energy and conv while traveling.... and yes i have stalled ... now i read that even though the bars say net carb count is 2 , (not sure how they get this) the carb count on the packagin is 19-21 carbs on the bars... so how can this be good for you... ?? how are the net carbs on the bars figured.... and why are there many different brands sold under the low carb bar identity.. confused... and not going to buy any more bars..
I have been trying EAS, Doctors, Atkins, Keto and a few othe brands..

Comments ?? help this poor confused person

20lbs in 50 days
0 lbs in 15 days...

im back on the chicken, water, hot dogs (turkey) and salad routine to get off the stall
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 16:16
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

The net carb is 2. To get the net carb on anything you subtract the fiber for the carb count. Also you subtract sugar alcohols, because they have a minimal impact on blood sugar. But you will only see sugar alcohols on things like low carb candy, bars, ice cream. ect. The fiber is one that you will deal with every day.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 16:19
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I also should have mentioned that it is an individual thing, they stall some people, but others can handle it. If you noticed a stall using them then stop. Maybe only use them once in a while.

On the up side, you may not be stalled at all. A lot of people lose either inches or numbers on the scale. Not both at the same time! I went throught this for three weeks, but lost the most inches during one time yet!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 05:53

Stats: 138/130/126 Female 5ft 5'
BF:
Progress:

I ate a low carb mint choc bar the other day that said it was 0.3g of net effective carbs. On the back it said something like 15g of carbs, 14g was something called Moltitol (hum... I forget now, I hope I spelt that right).

Well, I also wondered what these ingredients are. It is a carb but not one I need to count... hum... I also became a bit wary and am not sure whether to eat these bars again in case it is bad news. I understand the fibre thing but what are these other substances such as Moltitol?

All very confusing and worrying.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 06:12
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Malitol and anything ending with '-tol' are sugar alcohols. The reason they stall some people is because the body burns alcohol before carbs or fat. The more alcohol it has to burn the less fat it will burn.