Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/224/135 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Total Carbs versus Effective Carbs

Could anyone tell me the difference between total carbs and effective carbs? I was looking at Pure De-Lite candy bars and this is what the label says 15g total carbs , 3g effective carbs. Is it ok to eat this on Atkins ? Any input would be appreciated !!!

Last edited by Freebrd : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 14:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Effective carbs, or net carbs, are ones that will effect your blood gluclose and insulin levels. Fiber, glycerine, and sugar alcohols can not be processed by the body, and therefore don't have to be counted. For some people though the sugar alcohols are partialy absorbed and can cause stalls.

The puredelites are ok for Atkins after induction. You should only have them as an occasional treat though, and not an every day thing, just like regular chocolate. Be careful to because they can act like a strong laxative. The reason it is better to not have them in induction, is the main purpose of the induction period, besides changing the way your body burnes energy, is to get rid of cravings. If you keep eating sweet items, even LC ones, you will never really get fully over the cravings.

Anymore when I try LC chocolate it's way to disgustingly sweet for me. I do enjoy an occasional bite though. I'm more waiting for winter to hit so I can do my own LC baking for treats. Plus I will hopefully be closer to goal and the occasional treat won't hurt me to badly
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:14
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

freebd,
Basically, take the total carb count and subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols, if listed. That will give you the effective carbs, which are the only ones you need to count on Atkins.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:52

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/224/135 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks everyone !!! It is that time of the month and I am craving REALLLLL Bad !!!!
There is another question that I have , if you dont take in the full 20 carbs a day will that cuase stalls? I have been on Atkins for 6 weeks now and still maintaining at 20 carbs a day , just wondering because my husband is on it also and he stays at around 15 grams day and he has been stuck at 14 lbs lost for the past week and a half . I have gained 2 lbs but I am sure it is because it is around that time of the month .