Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: Restarted Atkins 07/27/04
Stats: 267/244/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Shinyface, Thank you so much for your post. It made me LOL. You're right about the comment. He had a bowl full and went for seconds. I know I shouldn't let what people say bother me. It's just a vulnerable time, especially in the beginning.

I would love to keep in touch. I can't figure out how to send an email or communicate 1:1 yet. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/170/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Wish I knew
Progress: 67%
Default Use2BThin (Response on Thread)

I just read the 4th reply on this thread from use2bthin and she said

** QUOTE **
"..so keep the negative thoughts out and grab a bucket of KFC"

Well, I got all excited and said "WOW" you can eat Kentucky Fried Chicken. So, I went to the KFC site and found that KFC is loaded with carbs. Am I missing something? What is good there that you can eat??

Confused,
Tammy
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:14

Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hang in there Hope, and to H**L with the guy with the smart mouth! People like that make me so mad I could just spit!! Hang on to the thought of the look on his face once you are slim and trim, and he has blown up to closly resemble the GoodYear Blimp!!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:39
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Tammy... I thought about that, too, but I just took it to mean eat chicken not cake.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:30
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Shinyface,

I found out today that we can't email until we post 24 or 25 times. We can't put our email addresses in the emails either or it creates a systems problem for the forum.

So start posting so we can keep in touch.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:21

Stats: 246/214/165
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4Me
Hey Shinyface,

I found out today that we can't email until we post 24 or 25 times. We can't put our email addresses in the emails either or it creates a systems problem for the forum.

So start posting so we can keep in touch.

Hi Hope !!
Yeah that's my mood color today...deep blue. I am dazed and confused ! It seems every day I eat less and less and today I gained a pound. I'm 54, so that my have something to do with it. Also I discovered that we should be eating about 10x our present weight in cals. Who knew ? So I am going to try to increase my calories and see if that works. Do you know anything about that ?
Oh by the way..about my name...shinyface. That's my nickname for my grandson because when he smiles at me he has, well, a "Shinyface !"

But more about us. I read the thread after your first post and the support in this forum is fabulous. How have you been doing ? Obviously it's a learning process, and as with everything in life we are all different. We just have to tweek and adjust til we find our niche, then hopefully it's off to the races. Have a GREAT day tomorrow and remember..."Don't stop thinkin about tomorrow"
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:39
Registered Member

BF:

Aww Shinyface,

Don't lose heart and it's probably not your age. I've been reading quite a few posts today and there were at least 4-5 new ones making the same complaint as ours.

I really don't understand all this stuff about the calories and percentages and stuff. I come from the "old school" Atkins that gave you no carbs except 2 cups loosely packed salad/day for the first week and slowly add after that. There wasn't all the cautions and stuff that seem to have come up since the original book. All that said, the FitDay website seems to be a big help to many people. I just went to the site and started plugging in numbers. I must be lying to myself because according to it I didn't even get 1000 calories today.

Well, as for me, I didn't go to the gym today. Guess I was in a funk of sorts, too. I dressed to go but never made it. I did let the coffee and sweetners go today but I'm not sure I can do that long term. I feel water-logged. So far, I've consumed 84oz today. That's more water than I used to drink in a week. Don't know if it's going to make any difference at all. How's your water consumption coming?

Well, don't start eating too little because then our bodies think we're trying to punish them and they hold onto everything for dear life.

We'll get through this one day at a time. Hang in there...

By the way, how did you get colors? Mine won't do that.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/149/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Default hum

hey don't get too discouraged by people's comments, and trust me we all know how harsh they can be. if one more person tells me how bad this woe is i will scream,but then i think about it and realize they are most likely upset about their own weight and unable to help themselves and thus jealous and trying to bring us down. i hope you stick to it and keep coming to the board....it is helpful for motivation. try flax seed for the back up issue(this is the first time in my entire life i have been regular b/c of these seeds)
keep the faith
jean
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Jeantm. I'll just have to wait and have my success be my greatest revenge. As for the flax seeds, I'll try them. Do you just put them in salad or something? For now, can I just use a psyllium husk product (aka colon cleanser) if it doesn't have carbs?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya Kiddo:
Well...its all been said pretty much and I don't wish to repeat..so I would just like to say:

You are NEVER alone...WE ALL have these same struggles...it is HARD for all of us OFTEN...and we are here for each other. You CAN do this! I also, do NOT exercise anywhere near enough...you and I need to try harder to get more exercise in. It is HARD for me to even walk 45 minutes...but I have been wrapping my knees with ace bandages and trying. I suppose I am sacrificing the little knee-bone I have left for the sake of moving mny fat ass abit...but then I have to do something...so that is it.

I feel your pain and your hurt very much, and I wish I could do something to help you. All I can offer you is support and the advice that if you stand tough on this, over TIME, and resolve yourself to go slowly, that YOU WILL eventually get to your goal and be healthier for it!

I believe we can all do this...I believe we must do this...and I believe that YOU will find a way!

VERY best wishes to you on your journey;
Jake
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Jake. Your support and encouragement are appreciated.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:53

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:

Hi, Hope4me,

Don't let that comment get you down. We all know about people who try to sabotage others' efforts to improve themselves--- the heck with them.

How about starting journal so we can all encourage you? It's a great device, truly!

Whammy
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:24
Registered Member

BF:
Question Just wondering ...

Hi Everyone,

Things have not improved since my original post and actually the scale went up another pound today (I know I'm not supposed to be looking). I'm not sure what's going on with my body, but this is customary for me with Atkins and is why I haven't stayed on it more than 3 weeks in the past.

I'm just wondering if the carb restriction of the first week (which yielded good results) has a different effect on my body subsequently. For one, food is really not moving through even with increased veggies (salad, cabbage, spinach) or facilitators (psyllium husk, herbal laxatives). When it does move through, it's not... well, regular.

I increased my water to 84oz, cut the caffeine and sweetner yesterday and today it went up another pound. Today, I put the caffeine back, went to the gym, added a few nuts and that's it so far. It's getting to the point I'm afraid to eat and I don't want to be that way. I'm thinking of adding a few complex carbs (fruit, corn, bran cereal -- fiber) to see if this stimulates movement on the scale and otherwise. I'm not feeling as great today. I wondered if I was getting enough calories but if I'm not, I don't think I can eat anymore food than I am.

I'm not abandoning the LC WOL, however, I'm wondering if a modified version of what I've been doing would help.

Feedback would be appreciated.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 16:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RITammy
I just read the 4th reply on this thread from use2bthin and she said

** QUOTE **
"..so keep the negative thoughts out and grab a bucket of KFC"

Well, I got all excited and said "WOW" you can eat Kentucky Fried Chicken. So, I went to the KFC site and found that KFC is loaded with carbs. Am I missing something? What is good there that you can eat??

Confused,
Tammy

Of course, depending on what you eat, you can stay within your range. If you do a search of KFC in the title, you can find some info on what to, and what not to eat. I eat it with the skin and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 17:54

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4Me
...Yesterday I went to a birthday celebration that served choc. cake, peach cobbler and ice cream. I had a glass of water served in a wine glass and was content. One person said I had such great resolve which was followed by another's comment "not sure what that resolve is doing for her."...

Whoever said that needs to be b*tch-smacked!!! I can't believe someone actually said that! How rude, insensitive and downright insensitive. What a total lack of compassion. Anyway, I have to go cook for my sister and her fiancee, I just wanted to say that she was way out of line. You're a beautiful person and you'll find a ton of support on this forum to help you out. I wish you the best of luck...