Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Unhappy Did I mess up? Chicken and Pizza "guts"?

My family and I just came back from our favorite restraunt. I had two chicken breasts and the "guts" (as my granddaughter calls it) or "toppings" off an everything style pizza (I had 2 - 3"x 3" squares, just the cheese and toppings, no crust). This chicken was broasted and I ate both the meat and some of the skin (broasted means marinated and deep fried in some type of pressure cooker type thing). Do you think I really messed up? I have lost 19.5 lbs since 5/13/03. Is that pretty normal? I know I should know all of this by now but I still question myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:29

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%

Seems ok to me... Perhaps a nice salad would have gone well with the rest.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:47

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

congrats on your weight loss!! youre doing so super duper great! and yes.. 20 pounds in 2 months is perfect! thats an average of 2 pounds a week (give or take).. thats perfect for keeping weight off in the long run!! (and better than most of us have EVER done on low fat high carb!) Ill bet you look super

i used to be a topping picker even before i went LC.. DH always frowned on that LOL... but now its OK!!

what do you think the chicken was marinated in? I mean as long as there isnt any sugar in it, it *should* be OK.. i cant think of anything else really carby they would marinate it in unless it was garlic or something? I have very little knowledge about cooking to be honest..

all in all you really did make good choices IMHO.. congrats on being disciplined and sticking to it! (garlicy pizza crust is oh so tempting!)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

I was a bigtime pizza lover... kinda miss them.

The only thing I would be concerned about is sugar in the tomato sauce or high carb cheese... but in general it should be ok (as a treat).

Wow, it is strange to think of me going 3 months without any pizza. I use to get pizza once a week (or more) and eat it for days. Wonder if the local pizza place is on 'hardtimes' because I don't order anymore... LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:37

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Cool llabonte

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement! I know the people who own the restraunt pretty well so I should ask for the ingredients in the marinating sauce. Actually, a couple weeks ago when we were there one of the waitresses must have recognized my "meal" selections as being Atkins. She later asked if I was on the Atkins diet and I told her yes and at that time I had lost 13 pounds. She said she had been on it years ago and just got bored with it and quit. Well, last night she told me I had inspired her to go back on Atkins and so far she had lost six pounds! I was really impressed that "I" had actually "inspired" someone!
Does anyone know how many carbs are in Subway's Creamy Italian Dressing? Their website only has information on the fat free versions of their dressings.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:50

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

When I go out to eat and I'm not sure what is in it - I consider it a 40 carb day. I just say OK, THIS IS NOT LOW CARB and deal with it.
I had chicken breast with a sauce and now that i look back on it, it may have had cornstarch in the sauce (although they claimed it was made from wine). If it is a midday meal, I have no more carbs for the rest of the day but I make sure I consume a couple tablespoons of flaxseed for the *regularity issue.*

All my tomato sauce in the house has like 10-14 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup. Restaurant sauce is likely to be the same - they want you to enjoy your food with all the high carbs and come back next week for more!

If the chicken was deep fried, it was likely deep fried in partially or fully hydrogenated oils and that will stall your ketosis (as Atkins says) because your body doesn't know what to do with this foreign oil. I'm not sure how long the stall lasts (maybe a day until the body can process it and remove it as best it can).

All things considered, you did well missy!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:04

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Congrads on your weight lose. Wow! You inspired someone that is wonderful too. If you ask your server about the marinating sauce you might get a fairly good idea of how many carbs you're consuming. Happy LCing