Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 01:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 209/190/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default New And Overwhelmed!

Hello Everyone! Im 28 Years Old, And For The Past 10 Years I Have Gone From 140 To 210.i Went To My Doctor And She Told Me To Try Atkins, Because I Was Pre-diabetic.my Insulin Level Was Through The Roof.i Have Been Keeping A Food Journal And I Am Eating 30 To 40 Carbs A Day.is That Good?i Have Researched Alot On The Internet And I See Conflicting Theories On What To Eat.i Didnt Buy Fruit Because I Dont Know If Thats Allowed. I Am Going To Buy The Atkins Book As Soon As Possible, But Until Then What Do I Eat?is Diet Wheat Bread Ok?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 01:33

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi and welcome to this forum.

If you are keeping your carbs to 30 to 40 a day then you are doing OK, although some would say that if you want to do Atkins properly you should do a 2 week induction of 20 or less carbs a day.

Firstly read the top quick link on the right - which low carb plan is right for me. Whilst they are all low carb they tackle the eating regime in different ways and one may suit you better than another. Then do get the book. There is no substitute for reading the book and staying on plan.

Join Fitday.com to keep track of your carbs. Then you will be sure about what you are eating.

At the beginning it is wise to cut out fruit which is basically a natural sugar. I'd have a close look at the diet wheat bread and see how many carbs it has. I don't eat bread at all.

Have a look in the recipe section for ideas on meals. Surf peoples journals to see what is on their menus. You do not need to buy special diet foods on this way of life, just lots of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and healthy vegetables.

Every success.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/175/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile New Member

Hi I am new to the forum. I am 28 yrs old and have been on adkins for the past 4 months. I have come to a bit of a standstill. I have severe asthma and ballooned up to a whopping 250 pounds due to steroids. I lost 60 of it about 5 years ago on the atkins. Now again I have lost and additional 20 pounds since I restarted. I eat about 20-30 carbs per day and have tried many atkins, keto, and other low carb products. I am really looking forward to reading about other low carb dieters and also would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 06:51

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

GO TO WWW.ATKINSCENTER.COM AND READ THE RULES OF INDUCTION. IT'S FREE TO JOIN & THEY DONT SEND YOU SPAM & THERES PLENTY OF RECIPES TO HELP.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:24

Stats: 185/155/130 Female 5'3"
BF:clueless...
Progress: 55%

i've found this forum to be of substantial help...but i also recommend you read the book... most of the answers to your questions are in there...i still refer back to it almost daily and i've read it through twice!

i am so grateful that i found this message board...it has been a real support system, and so many people have such terrific ideas and helpful suggestions...keep coming back!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/278/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default so many choices

there seems to be as many plans as there are people online! im thinking at 30-40 carbs a day will do the trick. i did atkins and that induction works really good to get a jump start... but i just went back on low carbs as i had slipped up a bit on that , and this time im eating about 40 carbs and exercise (which i didn't do 1st time) and its going pretty good!
i guess you let the scale be the last word!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 209/190/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hey Everyone! Went And Bought The Atkins Book-so Excited!also Bought A Cardio Tape!realized I Was I Need To Do The Induction Phase.my Husband Has Been So Supportive-he Lkes Everything On Atkins Anyway So Its Not Really That Hard.everyone Has Been Patient,especially Going To The Store, Because I Have To Read All The Labels! Anyways, Starting Induction Tommorrow Wish Me Luck!can I Have Jello Or Cool Whip Lite? I Have A Mean Sweet Tooth Late At Night.take Care
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

ILUVSEAN
First congrats on starting a healthy way of eating. Read the book about the jello and sweet tooth cravings.
I can tell you from personal experience that first four days were the hardest for me but I was determined to be focused and not go off the eating plan at all. After the first 4 days all my cravings left, I was so glad I did not give into any of them. Now it is not hard for me to follow the plan BUT I plan! I always have low carb snacks ready in case I am hungry. Plan Plan Plan. You know your eating habits so plan for them while staying on the eating plan. Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 19:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default cream on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSEAN
Hey Everyone! Went And Bought The Atkins Book-so Excited!also Bought A Cardio Tape!realized I Was I Need To Do The Induction Phase.my Husband Has Been So Supportive-he Lkes Everything On Atkins Anyway So Its Not Really That Hard.everyone Has Been Patient,especially Going To The Store, Because I Have To Read All The Labels! Anyways, Starting Induction Tommorrow Wish Me Luck!can I Have Jello Or Cool Whip Lite? I Have A Mean Sweet Tooth Late At Night.take Care

im with you! is it coolwhip lite or real whipped cream tho?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 19:04
Registered Member

BF:
Default P.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andie
im with you! is it coolwhip lite or real whipped cream tho?

Good Luck !!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 19:06
Registered Member

BF:

Msatt - i love that quote! very kewl.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:00

Stats: 185/155/130 Female 5'3"
BF:clueless...
Progress: 55%

thanks, andie! that's my man!

also i want to thank tinaninea for the link! that's a great site! i bookmarked it and will be referring to it frequently...
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:17
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%

I am doing the 20 carbs per day, it's a combination of Protein Power and Atkins I guess. I lost my PP book and forgot the formula carbs and protein eaten daily according to weight.

Does anyone have a link so I can find out what intake is needed daily?

thanks a bunch
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 23:02

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Just throwing in my personal experience....I found it really important to plan properly especially at the beginning. It is really tough at the beginning to not eat sweet stuff but it is sooo worth it to resist and get through 4 - 7 days of induction.

Truly I am a huge sugar/sweet/chocolate addict but my cravings vanished. It is such a wonderful feeling to not be craving my sugar drug and it is all due to resisting the sweets at the beginning.

After I had been on induction a month or so I started having some of the atkins bars which are sweet but low carb. For me - just the sweet taste was enough to launch me into a carb binge and I got cravings all over again. I went back to induction and feel great again.

Hang in there,

Sally
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:32
Registered Member

BF:

Sally, ok ok...so its not just me! everytime i ever had Any of the low carb candies or bars .. it set me off.. i can't buy them at all anymore. thnx