Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Post Eating veggies

Ok guys, I can't stand to eat salad. It just doesn't do it for me anymore. I rather find an alternative than force it down and make the "I'm so unhappy" face while everyone else is eating other things. My question: What do you think of adding more veggies (zucchini) and less salad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:35

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Default Having the same problem!!!

I usually LOVE salads, and veggies and have been consuming lots as I am on week 8 and still following Induction.

Lately I notice I am having trouble eating salad...getting sick of it and it almost makes me gag. I have been trying to reduce "lettuce" part and have more cut up veggies.

For example, the other day I had pieces of celery, cucumber, cauliflower to dip in dressing (with a bit of lettuce on the bottom)...this seemed to work better than the regular salad thing.

At dinnertime this is not a problem as I tend to have cooked veggies (e.g. brocolli w/ cheese or stir fried zucchini/onion/mushrooms in butter w/garlic and other spices).

Froufie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

To improve salads I add more things to them such as different dressings, any meat, esp. bacon, hard boiled eggs, different cheese, sunflower seeds, stuff like that.

I'm not quite sure what the carb count is for zucchini but if it's pretty equal and that's what it takes for you to eat your veggies, then go for it. I would recommend that you do try alternating w/other veggies so you don't get burnt out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:47

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I'm not a big salad eater either. Ordering a big salad at lunch, be it a Chef's Salad or a Buffalo Chicken Salad just doesn't do it for me. I did eat a small house salad at lunch today, but I'll get the rest of my veggies tonight in the form of cauliflower with cheese sauce or sauteed mushrooms or a spinach pizza. Works for me!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:49

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

Mmmm...spinach pizza....sounds great!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 182/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 40%

I can sympathize with you about the boredom with salad, but speaking form experience if you stick to bottled dressings you get sick of it all quickly. After a while, the bottled dressing becomes to gooey for me, but I rarely use it anymore since starting on Atkins. I have gone back to basics in using my own home made dressing. I had to improvise on a couple of ingredients. For example :

My favorite vinaingrette consisted of (note : I dont usually measure, I go by taste and add a little of whatever it needs ) :

-1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
-2 tbsp xtra virgin olive oil (the quality DOES make a difference, look for dark coloured glass or metal tin container - good oil has to be protected from light)
-1 tbsp mustard (I like spicy brown or dijon or whole grain)
-1/2 tsp Herbes De Provence (awesome if you can find it !!!Its a mixture of herbs ideal for salads)
-1/2 packet of sweetner (I tested splenda and it was great - I used honey prior to LCing.)
-Salt and pepper

Again, you may need to adjust the amounts, based on your taste and the strength of your vinegar. If its too salty, add a little more oil. Same goes if its too vinegary (sp). The sweetner helps balance everything out.

Another life saver for my salads is home grown Arugula. SO easy to grow and SO tasty. And to alternate for teh dressing, I like to use fresh squeezed lemon instead of the vinegar, 1 TBSP of it. Fresh lemon juice and Arugula go GREAT together. Happy LCing !

Lucky
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:34
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Something to try: Use whole leaves of lettuce to wrap up slices of meat and cheese in. You can also through in some sliced pickles or other veggies in there. That way it's more of a 'wrap' than a salad. I find this easier to make and consume than salads.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:32

Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!! You guys are super!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:44

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking skip the salad

and substitute another veg-for instance, have spinach and squash plu a serving of meat--whatever, you don't have to be limited to salads!

#10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%

Wrap it up in a cow carb tortilla? Thats what I do when i just cant take another bowl of lettuce. I have a nice tuna "sandwich" or salami "sandwich" wrapped up with lots of lettuce & pickles!