Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default TOM weight gain

I can gain three pounds by the end of the day (morning weight vs. evening weight) without having TOM. The next morning I am back down. I wouldn't worry about 3 pounds.

Check the ingredients on the Midol for caffeine. It is advised that PMS sufferers avoid caffeine.

I prefer aspirin if I am having pain during my TOM. Some women say it causes a heavier flow, but I don't see how.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:22

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

OOPS! this was supposed to be in reply to BonJoviFan's thread!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:46
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

LOL! I came to this thread thinking I was going to find more advise & realized it was a reply to my thread! Too funny!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:15
Registered Member

Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

The Midol I use does not have caffeine... it says caffeine free right on the front of the package and its the formula for PMS... I couldn't make it thru a cycle without it.... I cramp and hurt terribly.... I have been on Atkins for 5 weeks tomorrow and so far the only difference for the better I have noticed is that I am mentally good this month... not grumpy... but all the physical signs are still still like cramps and water weight gain....I have went up 2 pounds and even though I know its just water weight it is still a big downer...plus my appetite some months really gets near impossible to control... like this month... the past 2 days is the first nuts I have eaten on this WOE ... I had peanuts and pecans and I think I had a little more than I should have.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:27

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Amy,

I'm going to put my nursing school to use here and tell you that aspirin inhibits platelet coagulation (stops your blood from clotting as much, that's why people who have had or are at risk for heart attacks usually take a low dose of Aspirin every day). Therefore, I guess the theory would go that taking Aspirin for TOM pain might cause you to bleed more.

However, if you haven't noticed anything- you are probably ok taking Aspirin, though I would recommend Ibuprofen (which doesn't have an antiplatelet effect).

BTW I have the same 3 pound morning/ evening weight loss thing

Cathy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/240/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have been on atkins for a few months now, and I noticed last month that my pms was really almost non existant. I still had cramping a little when I started, but the mood swings were pretty much non existant.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:12
Registered Member

Stats: 210/170/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Wish I knew
Progress: 67%

Hello,

I am amidst my second TOM with Atkins. The first one I had when I first started and I had really bad cramps and it was really heavy, and did the hot shower thing, the heating pad and basically just curled up into a ball in bed. TOM that I am having now I don't feel a thing not even a mild cramp. I did notice I was a bit bitchy right before TOM but I feel fine. I almost always, pre Atkins, had cramps the first day or two of TOM - sometimes really, really bad. I am thrilled not to have ANYTHING this month. I can't wait to see what happens next month.

BTW, I absolutely love Bon Jovi too.

Good luck,
Tammy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:36

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

My physical symptoms are much better but boy am I a BITCH during TOM. It is worse than before this WOE. I don't know why it is so exaggerated.
Hubby ducks during TOM now!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:07
Registered Member

Stats: 210/170/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Wish I knew
Progress: 67%

Hello,

I don't recall ever being really bitchy pre or during TOM until I started Atkins. I think however I know the reason. Whenever its was the approaching and during the TOM I would pig out on all kinds of junk food. Maybe the over carbing acted like a comfort food to feed the bitch demon. LOL. I do get a craving to pig out at that time. I don't, and maybe that's the bitch coming out.

Just a thought!
Tammy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 182/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 40%

Does anyone notice that there is a reverse correlation between PMS and cramping or is it just me? I have noticed that when it's TOM and I have no pre-warning of it, like major moodiness, my cramps are bad. When my PMS is bad, very grumpy, my cramps are almost non-existant. Anyone else?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:40

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I've only had one TOM since starting Atkins, usually I have severe cramps, but this last time hardly any at all and those few were mild. The bleeding was MUCH heavier than usual and lasted for several extra days, PMS was milder though.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 00:20
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Hello ladies! I just came back to check my thread & wanted to say thanks for all the great replies, especially Tammy's! I always love to hear that there are Bon Jovi fans out there, it just makes my day! In one week I will be standing second row for the first time in years and years of being a huge fan! This is my fifth & final show this tour, which is depressing but I am really looking forward to seeing them one last time!

I am nearing the end of the cycle, Thank God, and am starting to feel normal again. I seem to be stuck at 130 - 131 pounds daily no matter what I eat, do, etc. I will be losing control of the diet this weekend but will come back next week & resume where I leave off.

I had read somewhere or heard somewhere that when we menstruate, we tend to consume more calories and I myself have proven this time & time again! I guess the hormones make you do things you wouldn't ordinarily do like get a serious attitude & eat till you can't stand it anymore. My appetite has slowed back down so I should be fine for another three weeks till it's time to jump back on the roller coaster!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 00:37
Registered Member

Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I absolutely hate the fact that the appetite increases for me some months... I am having to deal with it now for the 4th day in a row