Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 17:56

Plan: Atkins, switched to CAD
Stats: 195/194/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:don't know
Progress: 3%
Default Question about Ice Cream and Sweeteners

I have been reading about people asking about low carb ice creams and sweeteners.

The heavy cream that I purchase claims no carbs per tablespoon. When I check heavy cream on Fitday, it says that a cup has 7 carbs. OK.

Stevia claims no carbs at all.

Vanilla has a tiny amount.
So, would it be ok to have a cup of ice cream when just out of induction if it is made from these 3 ingredients and if it is, why would anyone pay so much for low carb store brand ice cream (unless you are really busy and just don't have the time)?

I am very new to this WOE and get very confused at times.

Brit
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:16

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

hi i dont know about right after induction (im not there yet youd have to 'consult' your book i guess ).. but i do know that 1 oz of cream has .831 carbs in it (8 oz = 1 cup so that would be 6.648 carbs with 0 fiber).. alot of people make their own 'ice cream' you can find all kinds of recipes for it in the Sweet Treats section..

HTH a little..
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

The only advantage of Store Bought LC Ice Cream is consistency. For some reason when I make it, it will not keep its consistency. It freezes hard as a rock when I stick it in the freezer. So, I end up making only as much as I plan to eat. Must be my ingredients. Here's my favorite formula:

1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Soy Milk (Belsoy)
2 tsp. Real Vanilla Extract (Not Imitation)
1/2 tsp. Stevia Extract Powder

Calories: 1,390
Total Fat: 140g (89%)
Sat. Fat: 84g (53%)
Total Carbs: 13g (4%)
Fiber: 0g
Protein: 21g (6%)
Alcohol: 3g (1%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by britony
I have been reading about people asking about low carb ice creams and sweeteners.

The heavy cream that I purchase claims no carbs per tablespoon. When I check heavy cream on Fitday, it says that a cup has 7 carbs. OK.

Stevia claims no carbs at all.

Vanilla has a tiny amount.
So, would it be ok to have a cup of ice cream when just out of induction if it is made from these 3 ingredients and if it is, why would anyone pay so much for low carb store brand ice cream (unless you are really busy and just don't have the time)?

I am very new to this WOE and get very confused at times.

Brit
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:40

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Yeah it's great to make your own ice cream if you plan on eating it all on that day LOL. But it freezes like a rock and then once it has melted a little bit it forms a film on the roof of your mouth and is kind of nasty. I'd rather pay $2.50 and buy Lecarb. It is always the same consistancy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:42

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought that maybe there was something about the cream or Stevia that I had missed. Like I said, I am new to this and have to ask if I wonder.
I have not tried the low carb ice cream or the homemade but gosh, I sure have been craving some!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My problem is the cream. I'm thinking of using some mix of soy milk and or yogurt to maybe make an LC ice cream before summer ends. I have an ice cream maker, and befor ethere was no room in freezer, but now there is. My only set back now is trying to talk local stores into carrying Soy Slender.

I went to the safeway here and they had a huge Atkins and Health food section. They had about 8 different brands of soy milk, not to mention almond, rice and a few others. Of course all had tons of sugar
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:55
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

What is streva??
Pam
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:22
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Stevia is a sweetner derived from an herb. It has been used in Japan for centuries someone said on here. It doesn't have the adverse effects that have been linked to asperteme and saccrine. It comes in liquid form, or with fiber, anbd can be used by people with candidia unlike the fillers used with splenda. It also has no carbs in the liquid form. Splenda has 1g carb per packet because of the filler. If you use to much it has a nasty bitter taste. Just a little though works wonderfully as a sweetner. Unfortunetly it hasn't been given food status by the FDA so you have to buy it as a suppliment and it is found in health food stores, or in regular stores in health food sections or pharmacy with other suppliments.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:59
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

What do you think of the taste compared to Splenda?
Thanks for all the info.
Pam
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:04

I can't really tell the difference between the stevia and the splenda except the stevia packets seem to sweeten more.
Brit
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:06

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Blue Bunny ice cream makes their with splenda. I remember that it had some carbs to it but it was only like $3.50 for a 1/2 gallon at the local Albertson's and came in several flavors.

Sorry I don't have more details but I can't eat it because I have a dairy allergy and was only looking to see if they had it for someone else.
HTH
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:09
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Bluebunny makes icecream bars too that are splenda sweetened. They use real icecream though so they are still a little high carb because of the lactose. I get them for my son though because I'm trying to cut down on his refined sugar in little ways.

Stevia when used properly doesn't really add taste, just sweetness. The packets are easy to use, I added one to my tea and really liked it. The liquid you have to be mroe careful of though because too much makes a bitter taste. My liquid states "No bitter after taste" so I'm not sure if other liquids may leave an after taste. The packets work great with no bitterness or after taste though.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:34

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I think the ice cream freezes as hard as a rock because of the sweetener you are using. I stopped using Splenda and now use crystalline fructose, which is a low-glycemic product. It does not give me sugar cravings and the ice cream stays soft. I also ordered a product from Whey-Low, which is made specifically for making ice cream. I have not received it yet. It can be bought at www.wheylow.com. The fructose is pretty inexpensive at the HFS.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 232/209/155 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I've been making the atkins recipe for LC icecream - you guys seen it? It uses sweetner in place of the sugar - and works really good - and is also very tasty. I'd post it here, but not sure if we are allowed to put a recipe in that is from the book.