Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 09:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default A am NOT vain!!!!

This might be my first negative post since I began here.

I'm at a conference, and most of my co-workers haven't seen me since I lost 20 pounds. (I lost a few before I started Atkins in March).

I was SO looking forward to a few people noticing....I work with some women who notice that stuff.

NO ONE has noticed. I have around 20 co-workers.

nothing

True, I am not doing it for someone else, but it just felt so exciting to see people I haven't seen in a long time. I was in a size 13 and now am in a size big 8 or a small 10.

I am not vain. I am not vain. I am not vain!!! :-) (I hope)

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:06

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

You are not vain. Its only normal for wanting people to notice your weight loss and congratulate you on your hard work!!! Perhaps they did notice but didn't think it was appropriate to bring it up at the conference? Here is a big congratulations to you from me
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:11

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

People are weird about weight loss. People that suffer like us, are more likely to say something because they know how hard it is. But then there are those that don't want to admit they need to start losing, so they don't mention it because then they will have to start. I'm sure they noticed....maybe they'll contact you over the next few weeks. Also, some don't mention it for fear we will think they knew we needed to lose. It can be a catch 22.

Congrats on your losssssss!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

considering you've gone down a couple sizes, i'm SURE people noticed. I know though, that i've kept my mouth shut when i've thought i noticed weightloss, because im never quite sure how the person will respond. what if they've lost weight, but the attention would make them feel selfconsious? what if they always looked like this, and my memory is off?
perhaps people were just too mentally occupied to notice your gorgeous new self!
and considering you had so little to lose, maybe people aren't seeing it so much as weight loss, but more as "gee, doesn't she look good today?"
don't lose spirit!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:50

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Noticing weightloss can be a touchy business sometimes...

There is that implication that if they say you have lost weight that maybe that is saying that you NEEDED to lose weight. That can be a bit of an *ouch* situation!

Also, what if the reason you lost weight was due to health problems? That can also bring up uncomfortable discussions, so sometimes in a business situation folks think its better just not to say anything.

I know it is frustrating, but I'm thinking that it was more a matter of people not wanting to bring up possibly uncomfortable topics rather than them not noticing!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:56

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

my neighbor keeps telling my family about my weight loss but hasn't made a peep to me. people are weird.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:04

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

When I lost 40 lbs and people started to notice. Several people asked if it was okay to talk about it. I was very proud of my accomplishment and had no problem discussing it. Others said they had notice but was afraid I would be angry if they mentioned it. So take heart I am sure several people noticed but didn't know how to approach the subject.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:06

Stats: 183/140/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I know how you feel Wordlady.
The only person who ever noticed my weight loss was the person who got me started on this WOE in the first place...and of course, she was looking for it. And even then it was 20 pounds before she noticed lol.

Whatever the reasons, no one else has said a word, and though at one point that bothered me, I am way past caring now. All I care about is losing the rest of the weight, and I honestly couldn't care less whether or not anyone ever notices.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:09

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Angry

Oh yeah, I know just how you feel. I lost 30 pounds, and several sizes between January and May. Went to Phoenix to my daughter's graduation expecting a nice response from her and her husband, not to mention my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, 2 of the most weight-conscious people on the planet. No one said a word, not a word!

I finally said something to my daughter and her husband. And when the s-i-l & b-i-l came to visit here several weeks later, he did finally bring it up, and we talked.

I think we get our expectations too high, partly b/c we see the difference ourselves, and know how hard we worked to do it!! Vanity has nothing to do with it, but when you work this hard at something, by golly, you deserve compliments and support! I have gotten this since that time from other sources-friends I haven't seen for a time, some co-workers, etc.

And some people just don't notice, period. I've asked, and I believe it to be true. So--take your compliments where you can get them, and hang in there-you're worth it!!!

#10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:01

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yup, no one ever mentions my weight to me unless I've been candid with them about my diet, exercise, etc. Like others were saying, it's very touchy business.

I enjoy compliments on my clothing more anyway because it shows they're noticing my new size 8 but don't feel the need to say I was chubby before.

So wordlady, WE'VE all noticed!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:04

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i felt like you do 15 years ago when i,d lost 3 stones, nobody seemed to notice or just didn,t say anything which was a bit upseting.however one person asked if i,d been ill for a long time as i,d lost so much weight.this made me furious as i thought i looked pretty good.i think some people are just plain jealous.i,d like to bet we,d get comments if we put weight on though.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:12

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Everyone notices your weight loose. They just don't say anything. I am going through the very same thing. Whenever somebody does say something, they make the change sound so much bigger than I think it is. I posted the very same message 4 months ago.

I went swimming yesterday, it felt SO GOOD to not feel self conscious about my body. I think that is the key, to feel good about yourself.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:21

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/105 Female 60 inches
BF:40%/25%/18%
Progress: 78%

My mother lost 60 pounds three years ago. She got tons of comments on her weight and how good she looked (she happened to be embarrassed by it, but that's another story). There were three people in the community, though, who pointedly did NOT comment on my mother's weight loss. The thing that these three people had in common was that they had tried all sorts of diets and methods of losing weight, but failed every time. They were mortified and jealous of my mother's weight loss. So, some people who don't comment are just plain thinking of themselves, and how they wish they could do what you've succeeded at.

The rest of the people who don't comment probably don't want to hint at the fact that you used to look larger than you do now. Chances are, though, that once you lose more weight - once it's glaringly obvious that you're, say, four sizes smaller, people will be more open about it.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:49

Stats: 246/240/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

WELCOME BACK!!!!

........And by the way, I'm sure "You look MAVALUS DAHLING!!!!"
Flutterbye
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:10

Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

So what if you're being vain? It's all about the vanity girlfriend!

Next time you have to meet these people, buy yourself a smashing new outfit that shows off the new figure you've worked so hard for, and flaunt it cause you've got it.

Even if no-one says anything, you'll feel great!