Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 05:54
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

What did you think of that rule that only US citizens could collect the money? Is that still in effect this year? I think that is idiotic - if the best runner doesn't win, what's the point? Personally, I think it would be great if a woman won but the reality is, men run faster than women. By not letting the Kenyans win, we just look like sore losers.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 13:19

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default cedar rapids checking in <g>

I live in Springville, actually, a few miles from CR, but hubby works in town. Hey, anyone near here might want to check out the HyVee on the edge of Marion -- they just renovated, and have a new section chock full o' health foods. I found some good LC stuff, including Atkins bake mixes and flavored Splenda syrups, and lots of Bob's Red Mill stuff, including ground flax seed and soy flour, etc. No almond meal/flour, unfortunately, so I'm just gonna try to find an inexpensive source for whole almonds and grind my own in the processor.

New Pioneer in IC is a great place, BTW. Good source for hormone-free butter and yoghurt, cheeses, meats. A bit expensive for some of those things, but if you are saving on other things, it works out in the end. I used to get loads of dried beans and lentils and so on there, but will now be shopping with a different focus, obviously. <g> Great for sugar-free nut butters -- you can grind your own right there in the store -- and for spices, herbs, extracts, etc.

Just got a copy of the Eades' new LC "comfort food" cookbook from the library, and after looking at it, I suspect I'll have to cut loose the money to buy the darned thing. Looks great! I also have ordered a copy of the GO-Diet book from amazon, another LC plan that incorporates cultured dairy like kefir and yoghurt into their LC way of eating. I'm intrigued by it, wanted to see what they have to say. So far I'm doing PP and happy with how I feel on it.

Well, I've jabbered enough! <g> Nice to meet you all,

Lene'
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 20:11
empress of fashion

BF:

Welcome! I'm thinking a good old fashioned Iowa get together may be in order. We all seem to be on the eastern half, anyway. We'll meet after the heat dies down, before the snow flies. That would be like one half day in October, I think.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:10

BF:
Default LOL! good ol' Chauncy...

Loved the quote at the bottom of your message. <g>

Hey, a get-together would be fun, and October sounds ideal. My favorite month of the year! Before then, if anyone is in the CR area and would like to meet for coffee, drop me a line. We could do the old "I'll be wearing a carnation in my hair" thing. <g>

Lene'
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:39
empress of fashion

BF:

Get some storms last night? Lots of lightning around here and some rain but nothing major.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:50

BF:

Yikes! Sorry for the delay in responding -- we did get some fierce storms in this area, and my friends were without elec. for a very long time. No damage at our place, though. It was a very hairy night, though, wasn't it?

I fixed a crockpot of "taco chicken" yesterday (just toss a bag of frozen boneless, skinless breasts from Aldi's into the crockpot with a lot of cumin, some chili powder, olive oil, whatever you like, let cook on high til it is tender enough to shred.) Tonight for supper we're having some of the shredded meat mixed with some salsa, some chopped guacamole, some sliced green olives, a little shredded cheddar or Jack cheese, and a little sour cream. Hubby will probably have his with taco shells, son will use a couple LC tortillas, and I'll eat mine with a fork. <g> Tomorrow I plan to try something different -- will take the leftover shredded taco chicken and make a soup with chicken broth, some chopped green chilies, some chopped tomato, maybe some onion and garlic sauteed in olive oil and with a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice in it, and after it is cooked will melt a little jack cheese through it, and stir a little sour cream into each bowl. Will have to keep an eye on amounts, so as not to go over on carbs, but it should work out ok. Makes it easier having already made up the pot full of chicken, I can just spoon some out and play with it that night.

What's everyone else having lately?

Lene'
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 16:35
empress of fashion

BF:

Stop! You're making me hungry!
I'm having tacos tonight, as well. Just hamburger with the orange dust. I like your idea about the chicken, though - will definately try that. Throw some cream into your soup for a well, creamier soup.
Yeah, we had some storms here, too. Nothing earth shattering in my area, mostly went north.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 17:20

BF:
Default Lol!

Sorry 'bout that! <g> But looks like we were on the same track, anyway, with taco flavour wafting through our minds...

Off topic, my son and I just finished reading my borrowed copy of my mom's new Harry Potter (I'm going to buy my own copy soon, as we own all the rest already) and I tell ya, for some darn reason I find myself wanting a Chocolate Frog! LOL (Although I may happily settle for just some of the wizard collectible cards that come with the candy. <G>)

Lene'
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 07:33
empress of fashion

BF:

A chocolate frog! Hey, we are on the same page! I bought my daughters the first three books, we are almost done with number 1. My girls are 8 and 4 - how old is your son?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 09:38

BF:

Danny's 17! <g> But I love the books, my mom loves 'em, and Danny loves 'em. I think they really are for all ages.

One of the most enjoyable things about being a parent has been having the chance to share all these great books I love with my kid. I still remember when I read the Tolkien books to him, and the Narnia books, and "To Kill a Mockingbird." And I *still* read aloud to him every new Terry Pratchett book -- it's a tradition, and we both enjoy them so much, the pleasure is doubled by sharing the first read-through. Heck, my mom still reads aloud to me if she is here for a visit and is reading something wonderful and wants to share it. Guess we're odd that way. <g>

Lene'
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 09:46
empress of fashion

BF:

I think that is awesome. Something very sweet and nurturing about being read to. My sister in law was a school teacher and has remarked many times how impressed she is that my daughters will sit still so long for a book. Shoot - they'd sit there all day and be read to! I've always loved to read - hoping to impart that to them.

I hate to admit I haven't read any Tolkien. I would like to read the Little House books after all this Harry Potter. I'm afraid they may pale in comparison but I read them as a young girl and loved them. We have read Willy Wonka and Charlotte's Web.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 10:07

BF:

Oh, I think they'd probably love the Little House books! And maybe also the Anne of Green Gables books? (I still love those, too!) Danny also liked the Willy Wonka story, and other Roald Dahl stories, and who doesn't love Charlotte? Even *I* love her, and I have a spider phobia! LOL

I'm so happy to hear your little ones love to be read to -- I think it's the most important thing you can do for their educational success. Heck, most of what I know I learned by reading, for the joy of it, and not (sorry to say) because of school. That must be one more reason why we homeschool! <g>

Lene'
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:55
empress of fashion

BF:

Wow- a homeschooler, too. My hat is off. Don't think I'd have the patience for that and of course, I'd have to hire out for someone to teach the math...

Think I should read "Heidi" to her, as well. Such wonderful memories around books!

Hey, have you ever read "Mathew Looney and the Space Pirates"?
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:40

BF:

Never heard of M. Looney, but just the title piques my interest! <g> Will see if I can get it through the library.

Oh, yes! Heidi! The visual images in that story just stayed with me -- the mountains, and grandfather with his beard. And the toasted cheese! LOL I used to *long* for toasted cheese when I was a girl, and my plain ol' grilled American "cheese" sandwiches just seemed so mundane.

As for homeschooling, mercy, it's a lot easier than most people think. Reading, reading, reading, everything from sciences to history to literature. (We've never bothered with grammar and so on -- I figured that if he read plenty of good literature, he'd pick up the basics from that. And who ever has to diagram a sentence or label the parts of speech once they've left school? <g>) Thankfully, Danny learns from reading, so he's like me in that respect.

I was always dreadful at math -- I honestly thought I was too stupid to ever "get it," but when he got to be old enough to start algebra, I gritted my teeth and decided to learn it right along with him. Only to discover that I'm not too dumb to get it after all! I highly recommend the Saxon math books, which are not fun and colorful, but which explain concepts very clearly and concisely and offer lots of drill. I wish to heaven I'd had them as a kid, I wouldn't have failed so miserably at math classes. I pity my poor teachers! LOL

Lene'

Oh, on the topic of LC eating <g>, I am *still* waiting for my GO-Diet book to arrive. Patience isn't my strong suit, and now I'm chafing at the delay. (Why, I don't know, since I have 12 good LC books piled up by the bed already, and can dip into any of them when I need a fix. But this is gonna be a *new* one, see? Books, my perrenial addiction. Forget carbohydrate goodies, just supply me with printed pages and watch me pig out! )
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:45
empress of fashion

BF:

Do they have a copy at the library? I went and checked out a copy while I waited for Atkins to arrive.

I went to Amazon and ordered that book. It is a simple, kids book but I remember loving it so. Can't wait!

My daughters call grilled cheese 'gorilla cheese'. How cute is that?