Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 16:46
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%
Question Do you check out the stuff in other people's grocery carts?

This is a really strange habit that I have developed since starting LC on 6/15. I just can't help it. I'm not normally a nosy person but I find that I am fascinated by people's buying habits. I have NOT, however, started to lecture the people buying Cap'n Crunch (yet) -- but it's tempting.

I was shopping yesterday and I kept passing this woman in every aisle -- I noticed that she had Splenda, cream cheese, bacon and a few other "dead giveaway" items, so I finally caught her eye and said, "Atkins??" And it turns out that she is starting LC today -- she had just finished the book. We talked for about 15 minutes. Funny.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:04

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I also look into everyones baskets. I can't help myself. I am looking to see if there are other low carbers out there. But I haven't found any.
I did feel sorry for a heavy woman I saw reaching for the low fat ranch and I grabbed the regular one. I am just glad that I can eat the real stuff and not that yucky low fat or fat free junk.

Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:32
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Not only do I check out other people's cart, I wonder what they are thinking when they look at mine. Mmmm...look at all those nice fresh veggies. Now that is the way we should all be eating. Wait a minute...what? Three packages of bacon! And will you look at all that dressing! Nuts?!? Who eats there packages of cream cheese?!? Dam that woman is going to have a heart attack....no wonder she is over weight! Ha... who is she kidding, diet ice cream! As if....
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:41

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

LOL MaryTou
I often think that as well. People must look in my cart/basket and think 'no wonder she's so big, look at that bacon..and cream cheese, and whipping cream!!'... hehehe, let'em keep looking ... as each ten pounds disappears
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:42

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%

So funny...YESSS I do look into carts....Most are filled with all kinds of junk...sweetened cereals, pasta's etc...cokes.....Something funny actually happened the other day in the check out line....A lady in line with me watched as I took out my food and put on the check out table....She said "I want to go HOME with YOU>>>"....and I smiled...she said, bacon, sausage.steaks...and I told her that "I have lost 40 lbs eating this way"...and she told me that I must be on atkins...She had been thinking about going on the plan...I also had some russell stovers low carb chocklates i....when I left, I opened the package and gave her one...Maybe she'll become a low carber like the rest of us....I am finding that wal-mart is always low on the whipping cream fridge...I'm thinking lots of people are doing atkins....They have lots of sugar free candies, low carb breads etc....If a WOL way of life for me....Trisha
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 18:13

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Not only do I check out stuff in other people's carts, but they peek in mine too.
On several occassions people have leaned over to me in line and asked,"Atkins, huh?" I just smile when I say,"Yes!"
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:40

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/105 Female 60 inches
BF:40%/25%/18%
Progress: 78%

The best is watching people who are obviously trying very hard to lose weight the low-fat way. Their carts are always piled with fat free pringles, popcorn, sorbet, bananas, orange juice, bread, fruit jam, dry cereal, skim milk...occasionally a few chicken breast fillets. I almost never see fresh vegetables in there...

Often, these low-fatters will look into my cart to see if I'm trying to lose weight, too. I guess my cart doesn't give away the way I eat - it's full of paradoxes. Mayonnaise...romaine lettuce?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:18

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I occassionally notice peoples' carts. I was in line once and noticed this waif thin, drop dead gorgeous girl in line. I looked in her cart and it was loaded with get this: Cake, Bread, Ice Cream, Chips, Salsa, and Lots of Other Junk Food. I wish I had her metabolism.

Then again...she'll probably have a heart attack or get diabetes at a young age. I haven't seen any Atkins baskets yet. Saw one guy yesterday in Wal-Mart. He was probably close to 400 pounds. In his cart were several bags of Potato Chips and nothing else.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:46

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

you know, I do the same thing. But also, remember, that everyone doesn't shop for themselves only. for example I shop for my elderly parents, who love all that junk food. So I buy my stuff and their stuff, and people must be thinking.. no wonder she's so fat!! chips, bacon, cheese, bagels, frozen pizza, etc..

But I never touch their stuff-- just short of 9 weeks.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 22:26
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I've also had store checkers say they'd like to go home with me. I've had people say they'd like to try Atkin's but it's too expensive. I don't see how! I save quite a bit not buying all the carby cereals, bread, goodies and side dishes that I have more than enough for butter, cream, veggies, cheese and extra meat. The house is still full of carby stuff I'd stocked up on for the kids-and I've tried to cut the majority of sugar out of their diets, and we eat out much less so they've lost some too. My cubby kids have definitely leaned out over the last few months.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 23:26
Registered Member

Plan: Aitken/pp
Stats: 204/200/166 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I too look in baskets. I have had mine all WW stuff, local this that and the other, masses of fruit, pasta, lite mayo, lite butter. Chemical heaven. Shows how indoctrinated we have all become. Here we are saying NO to GMO and we are already filling up on chemicals
I still haven't really decided which plan I am going to really follow but I think it will be Protein Power/Aitkens. I saw a young beautiful face not bad body with a basket full of Aitkens type foods the other day and asked her "Aitkens". Well it wasn't exactly Aitkens but a mix of it and another but she had lost 28kg and only had 5 more to go. Very encouraging SO when I get to do the shopping next weekend I will have a great time buying LC things that actually tast good.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 06:49
Nursing Mama

Plan: High fat 80/15/5
Stats: 255/243/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

The thing I'm always amazed at is how much junk there is in the grocery store. Like, 99% of that stuff I wouldn't touch! So many artificial snacks with hydrogenated oils, etc. YUCK.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 182/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Hah !!

Jeannie,

That is SO funny ! I find myself doing the EXACT same thing !! I look at what people throw into their cart and do my own analysis of what kinda of regimen they may follow - it's amazing how almost all seem to navigate towards high carb items by the loads. I also pay attention to how the low carb items at the store seem to be goign much faster then their high carb alternatives - I just rarely catch anyone buying the same items I do - you think they go in at weird hours of the night so as not to be noticed?

Anyways, it's interesting and I agree with you - I dont try to preach to anyone on LCing, just like I dont try to preach for anyone to quit smoking I like did. If they are curious though, I am always willing to go into conversations about it.

Good, so i am not the only "nosy" one at the store!!

L
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:44
Registered Member

Stats: 252/224/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have a habit of looking also and have been lucky and found one older couple in Sam's. I passed by them at one of the stations giving out samples of cheesecake. I heard the man say something about 2 carbs, I stopped dead in my tracks and asked him if he said the cheesecake had 2 carbs in it. He chuckled and said oh no I said 52 per slice. I said, are ya'll doing Atkins, and sure enough they were. I left the store happy.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:41

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I am always checking out other peoples carts, but I really wonder what people think when they look in mine! I have all my regular low carb things, a ton of natural foods like soy milk tofu etc tons of veggies, then the stuff for non-low carb DH (he is 5'10, 145lbs...shouldn't lose a pound) like pop-tarts, cereal, cookies, and doretos... What an interesting variety it is at the checkout!