Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 07:36

Plan: combination of several
Stats: 195/195/140
BF:
Progress:
Angry Not doing so good...

Hi there...I am a new girl. I was so glad to find this site and hopefully some support. I am really bummed. About a month ago my Endocrinologist put me on a low carb high protein diet. My insulin is not working well and I am being tested for pituitary gland problems. I have gained around 25 lbs. this last year...15 in the past 3 months which brings my grand total up to 195 lbs. This has put a strain on me, my health,my marriage (my husband is a fitness junkie and doesn't understand to well) and my whole life.
My problem is that my son has diabetes and my husband (already very fit) need carbohydrates in thier diet. I need some low budget and easy protein meals to fix myself. And I need the willpower to not eat those wonderful pastas and breads that I crave SOOOO much especially when it's been a bad day. How awsome are crackers?! I LOVE them...I have got to do this I know!!! I just wish I could see over this seemingly huge mountain I have in front of me. It just seems soooo overwhelming to even start right now. MAN...am I whining...but I kinda feel better already. ANY advice right now would be great...THANKS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins -- Zone
Stats: 175/175/140 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:no clue; yikes! ;)
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up hey catcrazy

I'm VERY new to this, so I'm not too sure what to tell you except, my fav is eggs and the new microwave bacon that seriously takes like 5 seconds to crisp up!!! Keep prok rinds and beef jerky around!! I also enjoy lettuce wraps.... if you spread mayo over a slice of lettuce with a little lunch meet, it is superb! TRUST me, with a little will power, you CAN do this... I am a CARB junkie and am EXTREMELY proud to say I made it thru a day without a single diet coke, pice of bread or cookie! How I love those!

I had my first craving last night, peanut butter and jelly.... I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep and of course oreos and pb&j pop in my head, I knew from there I was doomed, my stomach growed for 2 hrs before I could fall asleep!!!!

another QUICK fix.. is salad, buy a head of lettuce, cut of some of your fav veggies ( check carbs before )and toss it into a ziplock bag with your fav dressing... that way, when you wanna a quick salad, its already made for you in the bag .....
take care and good luck!!!! nO mOre carbs!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 11:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello Gayle,

Low carbing does not have to be used only to lose weight. Your husband can benefit, and especially your son. Look in the Tips section for the book Dr. Bernstien's Diabetic Solution. Many diabetics have have been able to stop their medication from eating a low carb diet. Read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and Protein Power. Knowledge will give you the freedom to make informed choices on a way of eating for your family. No one needs lots of carbohydrates in their diet. It's a choice.

Offer mix and match dinners--a big salad, cooked low carb vegetables, and for protein, things like chicken legs or thighs, crustless quiche, LC meatloaf or burgers, pot roast and some potatoes or bread on the side. Everyone can pick and choose what they want to eat.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 20:14

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the tips! I made it through today without flubbing.. I drank all of my water...worked out on my Bowflex and did 30min. of Tae Bo...Yippeeee.... I am so proud of myself.

The food tips are great...I hadn't thought of the lettuce thing. Tonight for dinner my husband fixed cheese dip...normally I would have splurged on Doritos...NOT TONIGHT...I ate it with Pork Rinds! My family kind of laughed at me, but it was really tasty! I am not bummed now. I really think I can do this. Thanks to this site! I am so glad I got some replies...I was worried I had been taken as a whiner....hahaha...Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 20:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Talking Cat crazy too

Hey Gayle. I too love kitties - have two beautiful gray ones. Anyway, you are not alone here. We all have those moments but just stop by here and you'll get some inspiration. I have my physical tomorrow and am hoping that low-carbing has brought down my cholesterol. I've only been doing this for 10 weeks but have lost inches as well as pounds. Keep the faith and we're all pulling for eachother!! Cheers, Lara
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 21:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Tonight for dinner my husband fixed cheese dip...normally I would have splurged on Doritos...NOT TONIGHT...I ate it with Pork Rinds!

Sliced cukes, celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower and radishes also make good vehicles for conveying dip to mouth. Sliced cucumbers have become my "cracker".

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 21:51

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Way to go on the pork rinds.....I like Karens suggestion too. Bet Hubby will follow suit once he see's you enjoying your choices
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 23:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Hi Gayle

I have a tumor on my pituitary gland as well. I went from 97 pounds to 245 before I got any help. As a result I became a diabetic and was recently diagnosed with tumors on my thyroid.
All I can tell you is that this diet IS saving my life and I eat differently than my husband and kids. I make myself cheesy bones and nibble on them. Now the kids like them. I make a batch of dough and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days and cook as I want. Try them, they are yummy!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:43

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default hello!

i am new to this also and let me tell you the first few days are the hardest...

I think now since I am having slight cravings after dinner I am going to make some deviled eggs and leave them in the fridge so when I am craving I will give myself a shot of protien to shut up my grumblings from the lower half!

Also since I started this I have had a little bit of trouble getting to sleep at night.. Usually when my head hits the pillow its lights out but lately I have been tossing for about 30 minutes and thinking about food!

I have not given in to them yet!! the devils!! lol

As for dinner solutions.. make a chicken, zuch, green pepper, red pepper, mushroom stir fry, make rice seperate.. let your husband and child add rice to thiers....throw some lightly boiled spinach on as a side dish and enjoy your meal with a small salad.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 13:24

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the motivation and tips!

Blondie28--my username was going to be blondie 26 haha! I will try the stir fry idea! And I had forgotten all about deviled eggs! I love 'em

Shelley--what is the recipe for 'cheesy bones'

Lara--I have 1 BIG 20 lb. cat named Nipten...He is soooo mean! He loves my husband and hates me. I think it is a cruel joke of some kind to give a cat lover a cat that hates her! haha. But I won't hold it against the species!

Karen--those ideas will definitely help me get some more veggies~

Numberonewendy--my hubby is really trying to support me ...I have just failed so many times that it is hard for him to believe that I am doing this for real. I am going to prove it to him though!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 15:02

BF:

Right on...I know you will..and can... following this woe
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 15:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by catcrazy26
Thanks for the motivation and tips!

Blondie28--my username was going to be blondie 26 haha! I will try the stir fry idea! And I had forgotten all about deviled eggs! I love 'em

Numberonewendy--my hubby is really trying to support me ...I have just failed so many times that it is hard for him to believe that I am doing this for real. I am going to prove it to him though!
]

I am boiling eggs as we speak! As for doing this for real, I think you have the right attitude, although when your changing your WOE or WOL you need to be selfish, YOU come first, this is after all for YOU. Prove it to yourself, and all others will take notice.

Hugs,
Shannon
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 15:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Blondie28,

Devilled eggs are great, but do you like pickled eggs?? The easiest recipe I've ever seen, and delicious too .... is from Fran McCullough's "the Lowcarb Cookbook" ... simply save the brine from a 1 liter jar of dill pickles ..... boil and peel a dozen eggs, and yes, 12 large eggs will fit in there! .... add the eggs while still hot to the brine. Put in the fridge, wait for 3 days, if possible, then devour. Yum. I sometimes add a bay leaf to the jar, and a small dried chili pepper ... adds a nice zip.

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 15:54

BF:

I remember you mentioning this another time Doreen. I made hard boiled eggs and also saved the juice and put the eggs in the jar....didn't do a darn thing? Yep we waited a couple of weeks. We (as in my husband and I) were disappointed
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 00:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
hi Blondie28,

Devilled eggs are great, but do you like pickled eggs??
Doreen

To be honest I have never ever tried them.. perhaps no time like the present....Thanks for the tip... Oh yeah when I first found this site I found a recipe for peanut butter cookies.. now I cant find it!!

Argh!! Oh well I couldnt even find sugar free peanut butter at the store anyways....Time to shop at a larger store.

I had 3 cups of popcorn tonight <doh!>