Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:14

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%
Thumbs up New to all this

Hi everyone, I dont know if this is the place to do it so I will just say Hi from Winnipeg!

I am 28yrs old and just discovered I am a CARB JUNKIE!!! I literally lived off chocolate milk and double chocolate chip muffins and pizza and mr noodles!!

So here I am on day 3 of my carbless life.. LOL ARGH!!!!

Ok for breakfast I have been having a 2 egg omelete <never could spell the damn thing> with a slice of cheese, a glass of crystal light.

For dinner last night I had 2 small chicken breasts/boneless/skinless sauted in butter with green pepper and mushrooms, sprinkled some marble cheese shreds over top.

Small tossed salad with italian dressing, glass of crystal light.

For snack I had a coffee with sugar twin and 1 tblsp of whitener.

Does what I have been eating sound ok??

I did have a headache first day but I dont think it was from diet. but might be. I feel like I am eating enough and have lost a pound a day. I am putting scale away now for a week. And will continue with just a weekly weigh in.

I love chicken and I love veggies so could someone please help me out and let me know what veggies are ok to eat? I need to spice up my chicken breasts with a side dish.

Oh yeah last nigh with my chicken i added a sauce on the side to dip my chicken in.. and it was great..... I read the label first and there were no carbs or sugar!...Then I read here today somewhere that fructose/glucose is SUGAR!!! AHHHHHHH I have been duped by a ingredient label!! So other then that little mishap I think I am on the right track.. its nice to see others in the same boat as me.

Well its after 4pm and I can tell you I am absolutely dying to eat something.. so off to the store I go .. for some more chicken and mushrooms and I think I will add some spinach this time.

Oh yeah.. what olives can I eat? green or black?

Does anyone else find that aspartame in drinks makes you feel like you have empty feeling in your stomach or a burning feeling??

I have never liked diet pop and I think thats why. Maybe I should switch over to splenda??

Can I make kool aid with splenda? I mean would that be ok?
I like a cold light drink through out the day but like I said I dont think this aspartame agrees with me. Crystal light uses aspartame.. maybe kool aid with splenda is a better idea.?

Sorry for running on about this I just have a lot of questions and alot of time on my hands.. lol

Look forward to any and all advice.

Best regards
Blondie28
Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Shannon!

What plan are you folowing?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:43

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Water is good...

Hmm, a cold light drink, I think water fits that bill.

I like cold herb teas with ice, a lime wedge and a splosh of Perrier. Without artificial sweeteners of any kind. (If I'm gonna have sugar it's going to be the real thing.)

If I were you I'd wean myself off all the fake stuff and stick with water or the cold teas for awhile until your palate adjusts.

Another couple of weeks and you'll wonder how you ever drank that stuff!

Good snax are olives, cheese, raw almonds = no oil or salt (very small quantities of all of these), hardboiled eggs, cold meats, etc. etc. and real mayo with all of the above...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 17:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Welcome to the forum Shannon!

What plan are you folowing?

Karen

Hi Karen thanks for the welcome.

I am not really following anything but let me explain.

I just seen a girlfriend of mine and she has lost 45 pounds, and I asked her how and she said she didnt have a plan, and that a girlfriend of hers just wrote down some things to eat and things not to eat. Anyways it turns out to be a high protein low or zero sugar/carb diet. And I do believe she said at some point it was the Dr Atkins diet her girlfriend was on, and that the info she was passing to me was a short form of it.. LOL

All she told me was to stop eating breads, sugar, cereals, margarine, corn, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

And to eat mainly eggs, chicken, meat, cheeses, some green veggies and to replace any drinks with diet drinks. I am sure she could of elaborated alot more on variety but we didnt have time. So she just mentioned the few things and told me to check all labels for low carb/sugar content. She uses splenda but I bought sugar twin. The only thing I add sugar too is my coffee.

I have just sort of been winging it for the past 3 days and have had some results and I feel good about this diet because it just makes so much sense.

I have 3 main questions:

1. Do you think I absolutely need to buy the book or do you think I might be able to get by with the above information?

2. It's hard to completely remove all carbs from foods, so what is a OK level of carbs to consume per day.?

3. Is seafood ok to eat? And if so what kinds?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 17:46

BF:
Default Re: Water is good...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Yogi
Hmm, a cold light drink, I think water fits that bill.

If I were you I'd wean myself off all the fake stuff and stick with water or the cold teas for awhile until your palate adjusts.

Another couple of weeks and you'll wonder how you ever drank that stuff!

No kidding!! This crystal light stuff is pardon the expression.. CRAP
Its burning a hole in my stomach and when I open the fridge now all I can smell is the aspartame..lol Maybe I am one of these people who cannot tolerate it. I love water, so yeah I think I better just bite the bullet and forget about my kool-aid and iced-teas days! Or make some home made iced tea with splenda. This fake stuff really does leave a bad taste in your mouth.

With my dinner I had a diet coke and added alot of ice cubes. Seemed to water it down to a acceptable level. At least I dont feel it burning right now.

I might try the kool-aid with splenda thing and see how it goes. But thats alot of splenda. sheesh! 1 cup!

Let me know if you have any other drink ideas! Thank you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 17:51

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

i've never had crystal light, but maybe it's the acidity of the drink not the aspartame that's causing the burning. Watering it down is good, but perhaps finding a new drink is best.

At any rate, splenda is better than aspartame...i had gotten Lipton Iced Tea unsweetened, and just add splenda to it and ice of course whenever i want a refreshing cold drink.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 19:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

We like to see members be successful with their new way of eating, so if you read through old posts, there wil be lots of nagging to read THE BOOKS. One of the reasons is that if you don't have the right information, you are at the mercy of others opinions. Another, you can come here and we can talk apples to apples and oranges to oranges (maybe meat to meat would be better!). You can develop your own way of eating, which is quite exciting to do. Learning to count carbs is crucial for success. There is a carb counter in the Tools Section in the red bar at the top of the page, but it's wise to have it in book form too. I reccomend Corinne T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts.

Quote:
1. Do you think I absolutely need to buy the book or do you think I might be able to get by with the above information?

Yes, you should absolutely buy the book as well as the book Protein Power and read them both. There is lots of information in both that will turn a "diet" into a way of eating for the rest of your life. For example, you should be drinking lots of water and laying off the diet drinks.

Quote:
2. It's hard to completely remove all carbs from foods, so what is a OK level of carbs to consume per day.?

See above. Carb level per day is an individual "thang".

Quote:
3. Is seafood ok to eat? And if so what kinds?

Fish is fine. Shellfish has carbs and must be counted as part of your daily carb allowance.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 00:35

BF:
Default ok!!

I just read through this entire website and feel 100% better and 100% more informed. Now I understand why I am feeling sooo.. sooo.. hungry for carbs!!! Since I didn't crave them as much today perhaps I am out of the woods and have finished up the last of my stored carbs! I have to tell you this was by far the hardest part of getting started. I just hope it is over! (me on knees praying)

I see now that I should keep carb intake to ~20g per day and I am good with that.

I just want to say this website is a awesome and very informational resource and I am so appreciative for all the information available. My only regret is that I didn't start this diet a few years sooner!! LOL

Best regards,
Shannon