Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/132/122
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Portion Size?

I've noticed in doing research that there is no limit to the portion size. Only to stop when you are full. Sometimes it takes a good :20 to get that full feeling after I've stopped eating.

How many eggs? How many pieces of bacon? How big of a salad? How many oz. of meat?. etc. etc.???

What are good snacks? I usually get hungry around 10am which is too early for lunch. Then when most people eat dinner around 5 or 6, I'm at the gym or taking the kids to one type of practice or another so I don't get to eat dinner until around 8. I need fillers...THANKS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default snacks

Depending on how long without refridgeration (use a frozen blue ice pack) I get the cheddar & mozzerella cheese twist (pkgd ind) or string cheese. Sugar free jello cups. Beef Jerky is one of my favorites but you need a drink with those. (best if you can make your own) Some low carb nuts. It takes awhile to think creatively. After I carefully purchase a couple of cookbooks it got alot easier. The low carb web sites help alot. Things I would never think of on my own are in here and quite clever. The old saying "Where there's a will there's a way."
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 17:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins -- Zone
Stats: 175/175/140 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:no clue; yikes! ;)
Progress: 0%
Smile its my first day too!!

howdy there! wanted to wish you lots of luck on the low carb diet!!!

I actually began today too, and let me tell you, this was not the easy task. NOT as if I was craving sweets at all .. just little things, I never had any idea had so many carbs in them. Atkins says the "induction" period only allows 20 a day for the first 2 weeks! **yikes** I'm pretty sure I'm in that range... my only problem is dealing with the high amounts of fat ... that seems most odd to me!

As far as munching, boy oh boy, from one muncher to another I have done my best to dig up some sites where they have ideas!!! I thought I share a few with you!
Beef Jerky
Strawberries w/cream cheese
macadamia (sp) nuts
celery w/dip
deviled egg
pepperoni crisps ( i guess you nuke em and they crisp up )
Sunflower seeds
string cheese
sugar free gummi worms

i thought I had more but I'm strapped for ideas... one of the posts somewhere had a HUGE list of things to take in the car or make ~ home... I like it a lot! And if you havent already, get the atkins new diet revolution book...
it has LOADS of recipes and snack ideas in the back!!!
good luck! keep me "posted!"

#4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 13:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Somewhere in the beginning of the Atkins book he states that this is a "qualitative, not quantitative diet." There are no restrictions as long as your carb limits are under what will keep you losing weight and feeling great. As you go along with this way of eating, you may have to adjust what you eat, but your usually fine in the beginning.

Just eat half of what you are planning to eat and wait 20 minutes to see if you're still hungry and then eat more. Eat slowly. Eat whenever you are hungry. It's a good idea to have breakfast every morning to keep your metabolism in gear.

Karen