Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%
Exclamation Help! I don't think I'm losing weight yet..and what are some atkin's-friendly snacks?

It's been 5 days, from what people have been saying, I should be seeing *something* by now, right? You can see my menu in my journal, at least for the past two days.

One thing I'm pretty sure of now is that I need to cut out the shakes for now, just in case. But...I'm having a really hard time figuring out what to bring to work to snack on instead, since cheese needs to be limited, too! And so far I haven't been able to find nitrite-free anything, bacon or lunchmeat so I don't want to overload on that...

What do some of you bring to work? We also have a really tiny fridge so there isn't a lot of room for me to store things!

Thanks,
~Sango
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:33
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Try to get your bacon fresh from a pork butcher you usually find their bacon has not been treated with all sorts of chemicals to give it a longer shelf life.
Eggs are quite filling make an omlete. I like sausages and have been told that Jimmy Dean do a zero carb sausage and Johnsonville Brats are Low carb too. (just a shame we cant get them here in the uk. Tinned tuna prawns things like that should curb your hungar till you get home for tea

Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Lightbulb

I didn't really snack much on induction, but here are some ideas-veggies, especially celery; a small slice of an Atkins Advantage bar (if you have a sweet tooth problem like me); sugar-free jello (it comes made in pudding cups, tastes great, no carbs).

More importantly, when you get the urge to snack, think about whether your stomach needs food or your brain thinks it wants to eat b/c you are bored, depressed, out of habit, etc. One of the hardest parts of any plan is facing our "emotional eating" habits. And eating at mealtimes only until comfortable, then stopping.

Personally, I have one small snack at midafternoon, and eat NOTHING after dinner. If you like, you can break up your meals, and eat 1/2 as much twice as often.

Good luck-it does work!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 202/188/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Ye old pork rinds! Not a huge fan of them myself but they are convenient. I also make up cream cheese/green olive spread and put it on celery. Maybe bring a small cooler with you to work?
I really try to make the meals large enough (enough fat too) that I do not get too hungry in between, but it is very good to have something there to eat just in case. Those snack machines can be rough, ha ha. I bring string cheese also, if you are going to run over the carb intake, better to do it on that than a bag of chips or cinamon bun.
Tommy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:06

Plan: Atkins low carb
Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'4
BF:too much
Progress: 17%

Don't worry about not having dropped any weight yet. The first time I started Atkins I didn't lose an ounce for 10 days, then, BAM!, 8 lbs gone overnight. Hang in there. This time, to my surprise, i've lost 5 since I started on Wed. It WILL drop - don't be discouraged. IF you are truly hungry and craving things you shouldn't have, eat some tuna salad w/ triple the amount of mayo you usually use. It will get rid of those pangs usually.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins low carb
Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'4
BF:too much
Progress: 17%

Could someone point me in the right direction? I don't know how to change or add stuff to my profile? I seem to be "lost in space". Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:17

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

If you feel like a snack, have some water first!

If you really need a snack: celery & string cheese are my faves

For work lunch, I have been cooking a few chicken breasts at a time and packing one per day (I eat them cold) plus some raw veggies.

HTH
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:34

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

my favourite snack is celery with cream cheese.i never would touch celery before i started l-cing but now it,s one of my staple foods.how sad is that?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 18:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

hello,

I'm going on week 5!!! and still on induction I eat eggs in the morning, and for work I take a salad with tuna, olives and Tomatos , you can bring for snack pepperttes and cheese strings. Thats what I do. I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day helps with hunger as well. I dont get hungry for about 6-8 hours between meals as well. Except for the last few days I have been having hunger pangs sooner than expected, does anyone have any thoughts on that, and my weight is coming off slower???
thanks for the help
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 19:27

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hello Sango. A few ideas: deviled eggs, chicken salad, buffalo wings with blue cheese or ranch dressing. After induction you could add some macadamia nuts or almonds. Those are a real treat! Good luck. Queen Bee
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 06:25

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

Pork rinds w/cream cheese (about 6 at a time) seem to satisfy my "snacky" needs. I also rely on deviled eggs (my supermarket sells a bag of 12 boiled eggs in the deli so its REAL easy). Beef stix/jerky have been helpful in a pinch. Once in an emergency I bought a combo pepperoni/mozzarella pack at the gas station

I suspect maybe you need to do a tiny bit more planning. Make up your snacks ahead of time and make sure they're always at hand (home/work). If there's a fridge at work, you're all set -- get a jar of mayo and some of those EZ tuna cups. Instant tuna salad.

Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 07:08

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%
Default Helloooooooooooo????

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenica
Could someone point me in the right direction? I don't know how to change or add stuff to my profile? I seem to be "lost in space". Thanks

I hope someone comes along to answer this question, cuz I need to know too!!!

Pork rinds seem to do it for me!!! I take the small bags with me when I'm in my car. Baskin Robbins makes a sugar free hard candy that's made with Splenda that I keep in the glovebox in case I'm on the road and have a *sweets attack!"
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 07:10

Stats: 162/132/130
BF:
Progress: 94%

Slim Jim's....those are the most handy, non refridgerated, quickies I've used. I also take a container of about 14 olives, 2 or 3 premade celery and cream cheeses and a package of pepperoni's...one container, one space in the fridge.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 08:52

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thanks for all of the ideas, all! I used to hate celery, but I think I can get used to it again -- cream cheese isn't allowed during induction though, is it?

Anyway, I'm heading to the store today to load up on eggs, tuna, and a few other things...

Thanks again!
~Sango
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 02:25
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

yes you can have cream cheese 3-4 oz, if you read page 125 it tells you what cheeses you can and cant have! (YUMMY)
good luck