Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 07:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default The "O" Blood Type

So, I lost about 110 pounds on the Atkins diet. I watched many people fail on it, and others succeed. Most failed due to will power, others just couldn't do it.

Two of my brothers did the diet. One succeeded, one didn't. The part I found interesting is that the one brother succeeded was a type "O" like myself. The other is type A, or something. (I forget, but it's different than us).

I looked around on the internet, and a friend of mine showed me this book yesterday about blood types. It said word for word in this book that Type "O"'s have a problem with Gluten and Dairy. It also went on to say that their history came from eating a primary diet of meat, and living in a mild state of Ketosis. Just cutting out wheat alone can cause a "O" type to lose weight.

I found this amazing, because I am allergic to gluten and lactose. I lost SO much weight on Atkins, and nobody could figure it out.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 08:04

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Colby

Well done on your excellent weight loss.

Don't know about the Type 'O' blood group. I know I am type A and have been low carbing for 2 years now, slowly but successfully. I don't have any intolerance to gluten and lactose. Will be interested to read what others think.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 08:23

BF:

Thank you

Here's an article worth reading...

http://www.ez-weightloss.com/ez-wei...obloodtype.html
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 08:36
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've heard of this before - didn't realize it was hooked up with Nutri System. Doesn't appear to be low carb in that they suggest eating beans and fruit but it is an interesting theory. (I'm an O, too!)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:17

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I'm type A:
Quote:
people with type A blood have sensitive immune and digestive systems and should comply with a diet that is high in carbohydrates and low in fats.

LOL, I don't think so. Might sound nice in theory, but lc is for me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:47

BF:

I agree too. I've seen it work for almost everyone, and like I said, the failures have been willpower.

It might explain why it worked so well for me though? 110 in 8 months was crazy!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:38
Registered Member

Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

They totally missed the mark on my blood type B. But it was interesting to read about it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:17

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Like ColbyJax, I lost a fair amount of weight in a short time without too much effort, and wondered why I had done so well on this diet, when I'd failed at other attempts at healthy eating.

I examined the blood type dietary theory, and although some people's results I've checked on correspond to theory, some don't. I think there's a stronger connection between diet and one's metabolic type. I've visited the clinic of one of the published practitioners, and talked to about 20 clients in attendance at an open house at the clinic. Granted, this is going to a biased population, but I was impressed by the degree of positive results achieved by their dietary modifications, especially considering the states that some of the clients started with (they included both type I and II diabetics, and cancer patients).

Also in its favor is the fact that this dietary model has a thirty-year history, whereas the blood-type model is less than a decade old. In addition, the metabolic typing model relies on a battery of lab tests to determine an initial dietary plan, then requires follow-ups with a clinician to monitor one's reaction and make appropriate adjustments. I think that this is a sounder approach than relying strictly on a single aspect of one's biology.

There are a couple of books available on this subject. Having read both, I recommend Kristal and Haig's work for its readability and emphasis on lab work to determine one's metabolic type. Wolcott's questionnaire-based method can be useful, if you clearly fall on one end of the metabolic typing spectrum or the other.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:13

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

That is really interesting. I am also O blood type and have lost pounds and inches just from not eating wheat etc. I never thought it would work but I feel great!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:48

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Not just willpower

The more I do LC, the less I believe in willpower having anything to do with this at all.

I thought it was willpower when I couldn't stop eating, but now that I'm carb-free, mostly, it's an amazing difference. And now that I am carb-free, mostly, I am discovering other trigger foods. Don't eat them, don't overeat. End of story. Eat them, go crazy. Not willpower at all.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 05:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

Hey-

You might want to check this out:

http://www.earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:31

BF:

I can point you to 6000 sites devoted to destroying the LC lifestyle too...

My point was, it's an interesting theory. LC worked well for me, and this diet confirmed a few MORE things.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:59
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

I am glad LC has worked so well for you. You have accomplished such a remarkable personal transformation and I find that incredibly inspiring. But I don't think it is because of your blood type.

While some sites do try to argue against a LC lifestyle-they have no biology/physiology/real studies to back up their arguements. The link I posted shows exactly why the blood type diet is biologically invalid. I wasn't trying to make you upset or mad. As an anthropologist and an anatomist I felt like I had to point out the fallacies in the blood type diet.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 09:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Thanks for sharing all of the links. I had seen the Blood type book in the store but resisted. Once I decided to try Atkins, I have tried to give this one a chance. So far so good. I am an O type, so I was curious to see what this was all about.