Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/198/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Malitol & What is it????

Hi there,

I was just wondering what malitol was and how it affects people.

I noticed today, when I bought atkins peanut butter cups for the first time.....they were yummy! That the carb value was over 20, but the net carbs were 2....

Does this cause stalls in anyone??

Also, if you have a moment check what I am eating at fitday.... I'm not sure if I am eating enough carbs???

My net carbs are showing at 7 (plus two cuz I cant find peanut butter cups on fit day!)

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp

Thanks

Tabitha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Maltitol is an evil sugar sub for me. It turns my stomach and makes me bloated and gassy. I've heard that it doesn't do this to everyone, but I will not eat candy with maltitol.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:23
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tabitha,

If you want to know more about maltitol, there's an excellent article on sugar alcohols in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:27
Contributing Member

Stats: 188.5/168.4/165 Male 67
BF:Kiss Me - Im LC'ng
Progress: 86%

Malitol, sorbitol, etc..are sugar alcohols. They dont affect blood levels so they can be subtracted from total carbs to get Net Carbs. As stated, they do affect some folks in the "gastro" department..so use sparingly until you see how they affect you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:38
Registered Member

Stats: 198/198/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all your help guys & gals...

I think I sort of undestand what it is now!

So I right to only add 2 carbs for my peanut butter cups, as per package?

Thanks
Tabitha
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 21:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For most people it doesn't effect sugar blood. Some people though say it effects thier's and they have to count the total carbs there. They do stall many people. Start with having them just as a treat, not a regular thing and see if you have bad effects in any way.

*Note, don't give any to the kids. I gave my 3 yr old half of one because he handled them fine the first time I gave him some. It was not a fun mess to clean.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 06:20

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

Found this on the net:

Maltitol is a member of a family of bulk sweeteners known as polyols or sugar alcohols. It has a pleasant sweet taste--remarkably similar to sucrose. Maltitol is about 90% as sweet as sugar, non-cariogenic, and significantly reduced in calories. Maltitol is especially useful in the production of sweets, including sugarless hard candies, chewing gum, chocolates, baked goods and ice cream.

Maltitol is made by the hydrogenation of maltose which is obtained from starch. Like other polyols, it does not brown or caramelize as do sugars. Maltitol?s high sweetness allows it to be used without other sweeteners. It exhibits a negligible cooling effect in the mouth compared to most other polyols. Although maltitol is often used to replace sugars in the manufacture of sugar-free foods, it may also be used to replace fat as it gives a creamy texture to food.

Benefits of Maltitol
Does not promote tooth decay -- Maltitol, like other polyols, is resistant to metabolism by oral bacteria which break down sugars and starches to release acids that may lead to cavities or erode tooth enamel. Maltitol, therefore, is non-cariogenic. The usefulness of polyols, including maltitol, as alternatives to sugars and as part of a comprehensive program including proper dental hygiene has been recognized by the American Dental Association. The FDA has approved the use of a "does not promote tooth decay" health claim in labeling for sugar-free foods that contain maltitol or other polyols.

Reduced Calorie Alternative to Sugar - Absorption of maltitol by the human body is slow, allowing part of the ingested maltitol to reach the large intestine where metabolism yields fewer calories. Therefore, unlike sugar which contributes four calories per gram, the caloric contribution of maltitol is only 2.1 calories per gram. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has stated it does not object to the use of this value for maltitol in nutrition labeling of foods. For a product to qualify as "reduced calorie" in the United States, it must have at least a 25 percent reduction in calories. Maltitol is, therefore, useful in formulating "reduced calorie" products.

The lower caloric value of maltitol and other polyols is recognized in other countries as well. For example, the European Union has provided a Nutritional Labeling Directive stating that all polyols, including maltitol, are assigned a caloric value of 2.4 calories per gram.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 06:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarionw
Found this on the net:

Maltitol is a member of a family of bulk sweeteners known as polyols or sugar alcohols.....
For the record, this is from the Calorie Control Council website .. http://www.caloriecontrol.org/maltitol.html

(please provide a link or other credit to the source of information )

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:53

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

SORBITOL
is actually used frequently as a bonafide laxative - hence the disaster that can occur from overeating any foods or candies that are sweetened with it.

The food lables don't tell you that it IS a laxative, only sometimes that it CAN have laxative effects.

That's like saying Ex-Lax CAN have some laxative effects.