Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Unhappy Carbo Binge

Has any one here been doing great and then fall into the attack of the carbo overload? I couldn't stand it any longer one afternoon and ate everything i shouldn't have. A couple hours later I felt like I was having a hangover but didn't consume any alcohol. I even gained weight for the one afternoon of indulgience that made me feel horrible. Does anyone else ever have that problem or find it difficult to get back into ketosis again?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Just drink alot of water, and get back on the wagon. Doing a week, or at least a couple of days of induction can help detox. If you aren't already, you should be moving through OWL and getting close to premaintanance as close to goal as you are. Moving through the stages will allow you a much wider variety of food and make you much less likely to get bored or tempted by off limit foods.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/180 Female 5'6
BF:0
Progress: 0%

thats me...100%....i just gained 6 lbs from eating everything i could get my hands on this whole week. today i started strict induction, and i hope i lose all that weight...i think its really water weight thogh, im not sure. even when i was eating carbs, i felt soo terrible, and lazy, like i was sooo tired. i used to say..ok every 2 weeks ill have 1 carb meal, and thats it. it turned into every week, every other day, etc. i hope i do better! anyway good luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:03

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

That is the one thing I hate about this WOE. Once you cave in to the nasty carb monster, you are out of ketosis for the next day or so....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:11

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I read a line in Atkin's book that fit me to a T. He said "Did you ever have a big meal, with dessert, and then an hour later you were looking for something sweet to eat?" That is what being addicted to carbs is all about. When I went on induction I found that the carb cravings really went away. I use low or no carb products to allow me to have goodies so I leave the high carb stuff alone. I am fortunate because I like to cook (most of the time) and I have time to cook. I like pizza with meat crust but have just ordered some low carb pizza crust mix as it have gotten great reviews. It can also be used to make Italian foccocia (sp) bread.

I look at this the way I would look at smoking. Once I lost the craving for carbs, I don't want to eat them again and then have to go through the withdrawal again. I use my carbs for veggies, nuts and low carb stuff. Even my husband is enjoying our meals and normally he is a breakfast cereal and spaghetti hound.

Good luck. You can find really enjoyable things to eat without carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:47

Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thank you for all your responses. Asalvato, I'm interested in meat crust pizza, could you tell me the ingredients!

And I agree with Jan Keater, it is a carb monster! lol
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 16:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have that KETO pizza crust, I havn't tried it yet though. The only problem with it is you have to make up the entire package at once, which is enough for 2 20" pizzas, or 2 ficcocias. Since I can't handle cheese really well anymore, maybe I'll make up a pizza with 1/2 soy cheese and alot of veggies, then have the other half things my son likes. Then use the 2nd half for ficoccia. Not until winter though, there is no way I am baking in this heat
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 23:43
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'3"
BF:
Angry Feeling bad about messing up

I am on Day 12 of induction and I was doing really well until Day 10 and 11.
Allow me to list the ways I messed up and BOY am I feeling it!
1. Friday- had a BBQ at my house but my mother in law brought beef roast in gravy and I ate 3 or 4 thick slices. Then, I had a diet coke. Then I had pork on the grill that I think had been marinated in kind of the Thai Satay seasoning- sorta peanutty and sweet.
2. Saturday- went out for sushi. Ate some spinach with the sesame dressing- and some soy sauce with the sushi as well. No rice !! Also, I drank 4 glasses of white wine. That was the kicker.

Today I feel constipated, depressed, low energy and swollen. I haven't weighed myself at all since I started (I want it to be about how I feel and how my clothes fit- not the number)-I just feel all wrong.
I have been back on track today but since I am still feeling so bad (guilty and physically ill) I am just looking for some support. I can still get back on track right?

Thanks everyone and good low carb thoughts to all!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 06:09

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Yup...did great for four months and then whamo...allowed myself a pepsi and that was the start. Ended up having four sodas and a pepperoni bread before finally saying "no more". The day I started over was tough because I really wanted to have a pepsi for lunch. Caught myself trying to justify it and got past it. Did great since last Tuesday and finally lost some more weight. I was stuck between 190-193 for two and a half weeks (very normal I know...lol...it just hadn't happened to me in the entire four months before this and I didn't like it one bit..heehee). I finally hit the 180's Keep on trucking and don't let yourself justify. If you do it once, you will likely keep making excuses or saying "tomorrow" and the longer you go the harder it will be to get back on track...not to mention gaining back that hard won weight loss!

L
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 06:29

Stats: 190/173/150
BF:
Progress:

thank goodness im not the one, i seem to have been on a carb binge for the last three weeks, i put on 6 lb so im really angry with myself.....is it ever worth it?. So i bought some ketoticks and started off induction yesterday. good luck everyone who is getting back on track.....love lieve
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:01

Stats: 243/217.5/150
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Add me to the list....

This last month has been super hard for me! Summer fruits and picnics are killing me!! Everytime I slip (yes, it's been multiple times ) I convince myself that falling once gives me liberty to blow the whole day or weekend or whatever timeframe I seem to think of at the time. Yesterday I determined to begin eating healthy again. So far, so good. I even had to resist some of my favorite carb items last night and I didn't even have to talk myself straight! I'm so sick of being stuck at the same weight all month!!! Let's get back on the wagon together here
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:03
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'3"
BF:
Thumbs up Yes! I agree!!

We have eaten right before and we can get back on the right track again!! It feels soooo good to be on track. Together, with the support of this forum- we can do it!!

Tracy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Low Fat
Stats: 160/155.5/135 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Carb Binge

hramsey76,

I gave in to the carbs over the weekend myself. I had some popcorn at the movies and a McD's cheeseburger for dinner. I felt so full. I gained 2 pounds...But I'm back on track this morning. I think we all have to give in sometime, otherwise we'd go crazy!

Happy Low Carbing!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 17:36

Stats: 253/198/175 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 71%

I was on vacation last week. Let's tally the damage: 1 gravy biscuit w/ homemade grape jelly (can't resist mom's cooking), honey mustard dressing, a small portion of bread pudding, french fries w/ ketchup on 2 occassions, texas toast, couple slices of bread in a restaurant, a couple bites of pound cake, a few bites of fresh fried trout, 2 pancakes with maple syrup, and 1 slice of personal pan pizza. That was all the bad stuff over the course of a week.

The damage? My weight stayed the same week-to-week which I think it a miracle. I have to say that I did swim, walk, and ride jet skis a lot, and my shorts were feeling looser at the end of the week, so I think I probably lost an inch or two without losing weight.

I'm off schedule on my weigh in days but will weigh and measure again on Saturday. I'm getting back in the low-carb saddle this week.

The good news is that in the past, I would've eaten 4 of mom's biscuits, a whole loaf of the restaurant bread, and the whole stack of pancakes, and a small pizza. So I'm not entirely unhappy w/ myself. Know what I mean?

Sam
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 18:28
Registered Member

Stats: 178/160/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

Yup...Im in the same boat. Been almost 3 weeks off, and everyday I think "I am back on tomorrow" but it doesnt happen. Just like you newjoy, I figure if I blow it, I might as well blow the whole day. But with summer and all the parties and weddings, vacations and family reunions, I find myself thinking " if I start back today, I only have 6 days before such and such event, and I know I will blow it again" and since it takes me 3 days to get back into ketosis why even bother? Boy, I am good with excuse's. I am really starting induction again tomorrow! ~* #~$!
Let's all kick butt. I know we can do it!