Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Your Goal Weight - Is it too high?

I was wondering, for those of you that are now that you are approaching your goal weight, do you find youself rethinking your goal weight? I wonder if that is common among Atkins people? I ask this because I know most of us have tried other diets and never came within the ballpark of our goal weight and by the time we get to Atkins, I wonder if we find ourselves saying "well, I won't be so demanding anymore because I will be happy to be X pounds overweight at my goal weight for my height."

I've been so far away from normal weight for so long myself that I wonder if a lot of other Atkins folx set their sites low on the *Goal* weight area too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 12:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When I get close to my goal weight I plan to rethink it. All the height weight charts say my goal weight is a tad high. My lean weight seems to be going up though, so lowering goal weight may not be a good idea. That's why I'm waiting until I reach it to see what size I am, how lean I look and so on.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 12:48

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

My goal weight was chosen on the basis that i was that weight for many, many years and felt very healthy. BUT i've actually done some research on what people 5'8" think their ideal weight should be and the majority think 7 pounds less than my goal weight. So........i am rethinking :-)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

The last time I weighed 205lb it was a very good weight for me. But, as I approach my target it appears that I will not be as thin as I used to be. I will not have the same amount of muscle mass as I used to have. I will need to lose some more fat or gain more muscle.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:08
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Interesting...

My assessment is based on the fact that I wish to be one size smaller and just firmer.

I believe my goal is attainable and comfortable to me.

I will never be skinny but I want to be firm and fit and attractive and hopefully I am getting close to that goal.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:17

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

i TOO WILL rethink my goal when I get to the one I have presently established for myself. I guess with me is that I'm not looking to be "bikini perfect" - - I just want to look fairly good for my age, be healthy and perhaps fit into a size 5 jeans in comfort
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:51

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

I've already started re-thinking my goal weight, but its just too early for me. Last time I weighed 210 I think I was 5 feet tall....

Now that I'm 6'2" - I just really wonder what I will look like at that weight. Once I get close, I may drop to 195 or 200 or ???? (I just don't really know.).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:07

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Parasite:
Since you are a guy (I'm assuming that because of your height mainly and your *male* figurehead cartoon) 210 sounds like a good weight or certainly not bad. My brother is 6' 2" and weighs in at a trim looking 190. I guess for a guy it can really depend on the muscle issue.

At 5' 11" I went for *pie in the sky* goal and hope that a year from now I can proudly tell people on this forum that I did it and get them past the *scare* of stalls.

I looked through *success stories* and found that a lot of people went well below their original goal. Do you think it was because they realized how *possible* it was once they were within a few pounds of their 1st goal? Really amazing inspirations out there
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/186/155
BF:
Progress: 0%

i'm rethinking my goal weight now that i'm about 10 lbs close to it. i think it may be too low for me NOW. i think 160 lbs. instead of 155lbs will be better for me. i picked that weight (155) because i remember being at that weight when i was very sick, of course from being sick i looked gastly. i actually went down to 143 lbs. and was all bones sticking out!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: Eades
Stats: 278/236/181
BF:44%/33%/14%
Progress: 43%

When I started Atkins I created a spreadsheet to track my history of weigh and body fat %. Using these numbers I have a constantly changing target weight... I instead have a firm body fat% goal. I did this for two reasons. #1 I have incorporated a resistance training program into my life, and over the last few months have measured an increased lean body mass. I do not want to miss my goals because I increased muscle mass. #2 I am sick of hearing how all the weight I lose is muscle and water. Much harder for them to try to make this statement when I can show the colaborating body fat % reduction.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 17:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

I recently changed my goal to 165...if i feel I look to skinny on the way I'll saty where I'm at
not too worried about it though
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 01:56
Contributing Member

Stats: 302/350/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: -32%

I based my goal weight on the BMI Chart, for someone who is 5'9" my weight according to BMI should be between 142 and 156...so 150 is a nice round number between that range.

On the other hand...I have not been that light since I was about 14 years old. So as I get closer I will see what happens, and determine what weight is right as I get closer to ""Ideal"" weight.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 06:46

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I will probably be rethinking my goal weight as well. I haven't been under 200 for years so I have no clue where I will be comfortable. In high school I was 165 and I looked good so maybe I will shoot for that.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:06

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

My first goal was what the Height/Weight charts said my ideal weight was. I changed my goal (later on) to the highest weight I would weigh without being considered overweight by the same charts.

I posted a while back that my scale was off of the Doctor's scale by about 15 pounds. At the time...I stayed with what my scale said. The Gym and another scale agree's with the Doctor's...As a result, I changed my current weight by 15 pounds.

But, at the same time...I reevalutated my ideal weight. Based on my current LBM (and that it is going up)...my goal (based on the height/weight charts) was too low (11% Body Fat). In fact, my "ideal" Weight according to the charts would put me at about 7% Body fat...and that is if my LBM doesn't go up any more. I changed my goal to reflect 18% Body Fat with no change in LBM. If my LBM continues to increase, I might have to raise my goal again.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:17

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

I hope this isn't a silly question, but how does one determine their lean body mass?

Thanks
Tiffany