Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/139/132
BF:18%
Progress: 46%
Angry 6 Weeks, Only 6 Lbs--Should I Start Over?

Help.. I've now been on INDUCTION for 6 weeks and depending on the day, have only lost 4-6 lbs.

I've not cheated except for an occasional glass of wine or cup of coffee.
I've also not left ketosis the whole time. I am drinking 100oz of water every day.

Do you think I'm having metabolic resistance problems? I'm just hoping to get back down to the weight I've been my entire adult life and I can't even manage to do that. It doesn't seem like it should be this tough.

Should I stay on strict induction? I'm really bored with it.

I'd love to hear your advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:20
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You are close to your goal weight so you will lose slowly. I would keep your loss in perspective - you are averaging a loss of a pound a day which is the healthiest way to lose. Hang in there - you're doing fine!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Sports:
6 weeks on induction and only 4-6lbs. Hmmm. Sounds wrong to me. Would love to see some of your menu's for several days. How many calories...what percentage calories from fat...number of carbs...how much fiber...how much protein...etc

No wine. No coffee. INDUCTION!

Metabolic resistance: If you have not yet done so, read this section in DANDR book. You may need to have your blood work done etc...check meds you may be on...candidia...etc...etc...

Stay on Induction? NO. Go to OWL. Why? Because you said you are bored. Dr A states that this is the top reason for moving on to OWL. You mentioned that word "Bored"...so I say you move along now...to OWL!

Final Note: You have ONLY 7 pounds to lsoe till goal. You had ONLY 13 lbs to lose in total. If you lost 10% of the weight you had to lose in the 2 week induction start...that would have been only 1.3 pounds. Sounds like you are on track to me! You simply do not have alot to lose and so your losses will be MUCH slower. I was 315...when I started...and lost 14 Lbs in 2 weeks...it is all relevant!
Now...even if you lost 4 pounds in 40 days...that is 1 pound every 10 days. GREAT. NO PROBLEM AT ALL! You are low carbing for the long haul...so what is 70 more days to lose 7 pounds? Besides...I bet you get a whoosh or two along the way, and reach goal ALOT faster! Moving up to OWL may just create a whoosh for you also!

Keep going...move to OWL...add variety...follow the rules...have wine (allowed on OWL)...live and be happy. Over time, you will reach goal, and be HAELTHIER for doing it this way!
BEST regards;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 08:23.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:21

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

First, congrats on your 6 lb loss. Although it may not be "a lot" by your opinion, considering you don't have much to lose, this is not a "little". Most lose 10% of their total amount to be lost during induction. Have you added exercise to your routine? If yes, than you may be building muscle thus the slower drop in pounds. If no, than perhaps you should.

I also found that upping my carbs just a bit helped me get back on the losing trend. I upped the carbs by adding a little more veggies to my daily menu...seems that veggies/salads (if I eat more) help me shed faster as well as keeping proteins down. Make sure your fat is up there too...when I drop below 65% of daily menu than my losses slow down too.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

FULLY AGREE with yvonne: (Yvonne, look at YOU! DOING GREAT and LOOKIN GOOD!!!!!)
Watch the protein is not too high. Mine was...by lowering protein in my case from around 190gram to 130 grams per day, I began losing again...remember, excess protein can effect blood sugars!
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 08:26.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 18:00

Stats: 145/139/132
BF:18%
Progress: 46%

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate your support.

I'm going to try to go cold turkey on the wine and coffee this week and see if it makes a difference, then hopefully go into the next phase

I'm sure you agree, it's tough to stay motivated when the scale is not moving at all.