Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default heavy cream(HELP)

Hi, they say we can have the heavy cream and I heard some say you can have REDI WIP in the can, so I have been eating it, the ingred. say heavy cream,sugar. The label says less than 1 carb and sugar. So if that small amount it should be ok. huhI tried the heavy cream and splenda with it and it was nasty. To thick and sticks to the top of my mouth. So is the can ok.

Last edited by Lacey O : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 22:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 23:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think it's one of those your milage may vary thing. Personaly I stay away from it because it has sugar added. For some even that much sugar can set off cravings. Others on here use it with no problem as an occasional treat. Make sure to read serving sizes though. you may end up having alot more then you plan on.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 04:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Default i stay away

i stay away becuase i can polish off a whole can in 1 nite, tons in my coffee, and then i have the rest spoon by spoon, now i buy the whipping cream and make like 2-3oz of cream into whipped cream and i share it with my family, but only on special occasions. - its still better than cake or cookies.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:25
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I like redi-whip much better too... but I don't go through a whole can before I wind up throwing it out. Just a little dab on my finger once in a blue moon. So far, it doesn't seem to hurt. A great trick I learned from my dad is to put a little on SF jello and spread it across the top, so you get a little taste of it in each bite.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:29
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Of course you like it better.... it's got sugar in it.

Honestly I enjoy a small squirt occassionally myself but always keep the real heavy cream for things that don't need the extra sweetness.

Like a TBS in a diet root beer or diet orange soda makes a great float.
Mixed in ricotta w/ splenda, cinnamon, vanilla extract for mock rice pudding.
In coffee and such....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:39

Default reply

I really wish I like the heavy cream, but it was so thick and just coated my mouth. It didn't taste good with splenda either maybe if I did use it in coffee it would be ok. So, if I don't eat a whole can of Redi Wip I should be ok, I like to have 2 tbsp on my jello, and the label saids < than 1 carb. So, why would it effect my weight loss. I think the Atkins bars have effected it, so I'm laying off of those and have one ever other day like the Atkins hotline told me I could they said not everyday.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:42

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm betting you'll find varying opinions on this... Personally, I stay away from the Redi-whip specifically b/c it contains sugar. Even though it is just a little bit, it's not worth it to me. Besides, taking some heavy cream w/a touch of splenda whips up nicely and tastes pretty darn good. I even add a touch of cocoa powder now and then to have a "mock chocolate mousse".

Happy LCing!
Nikki
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:49

Default reply

I whipped up some heavy cream with splenda it was gross, thick and coated the roof of my mouth. How do you guys stand it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:52

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I whip mine up really well- basically it takes in some air and makes it nice and fluffy. I did notice that if my cream is starting to get a little old, it does leave a slight coating on the roof of my mouth. Usually, though, I have no problems.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 21:56
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

i recommend the heavy cream and splenda.
just pour the heavy cream in a blender and blend until you think its a little thick, open and stir and continue blending until the whole contents is pretty thick.
I mix this with softened cream cheese, splenda and vanilla.
This turns out to be the crustless cheesecake.....its soooooo delicious!!!!
just 12 oz softened cream cheese
small container of heavy cream
6 packets of splenda (i think)
1teaspoon vanilla.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 05:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/225/170 Female 5'3"
BF:48%/43%/30%
Progress: 8%

How much splenda are you adding to it? Which form? Also how long are you whipping it?

Another idea is whip it with a little SF Davinci syrup, which is my preference. Or when whipping with splenda add a touch of vanilla.

I have noticed that since I use a hand blender to mix it, I need to be careful not to overwhip it, as it will get kinda funky when I do.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 12:23
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I never use whip cream with sugar. I either whip my own, or I use thick devon cream. It's delicious. The brand I use is Jersey Farms and it has 1 carb per two tbsp. I find it's just fine on berries, etc, without the need for any Splenda or sugar. You can spoon it on without having to whip it up because it's already thick and delicious.

I find that I don't need sugar/sweetener in most of these things anymore. The fruit on it's own is sweet enough now that I'm tasting food properly.

Lacey, why not try giving up the bars altogether for a week or two, along with all the other fake sweetener treats. You will be amazed how much your cravings subside and how naturally sweet foods begin to taste.

K.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 12:34

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

If you don't like the heavy cream, why not buy the regular whipping cream? Just a thought...

It doesn't whip up quite as thick as the heavy cream.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 16:11

Plan: Started Atkins on 4/26/03
Stats: 202/190/145
BF:
Progress: 21%

I just use a little Cool Whip. The heavy cream or whipping cream tastes very greasy to me. It's OK when I use it as an ingredient in a receipe, but not by itself.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 23:41

Default reply

Hey how many carbs are in cool whip? I have noticed the greasy taste in heavy cream, except in an ingred. Thanks I will check it out.