Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 09:55

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question new to cycling

well ive not rode a bike in about 20 yrs..

hubby bought us bikes on monday.. I rode 4 miles today (yippee) down to a local church.. I didnt eat before i rode, but drank about 20 oz of water

on the way there it was alot of coasting with a bit of cycling.. there is a huge hill that i only got 1/2 way up (very difficult to walk up let alone ride)..

the way back is just the opposite (of course) with little to no coasting.. still only got 1/2 way up that hill..

round trip took me about 30-40 minutes

how do i calculate the calories burned?

how do i plug this into fitday? I know there is a place for activity but if i plug in 4 miles at 30 minutes, wont it just mistake that for faster MPH? or is this ok since on the way back it is double the work?

is it normal for a beginner to feel like when she gets done? and will this go away? (I do feel better after sitting down for 10 minutes and drinking water.. is it simply that i need to carry water with me?)

to avoid the ouchies.. whats the best type of seat to get (i read someone got a gel seat)? and what other things should i get.. gloves? water bottle?

thanks in advance for all of your help.. heres to better health and not getting winded on a bike ride !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 11:33

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I am riding for 3 years now, and also started as a commute. Since I am male, I had additional issuse with the seat.

It is very tempting to get a soft and wide seat, but it will not work for rides longet then 15 min.

You need to find a seat that allows you to put you weight on the two "sitting bones", and if the seat is too hard it'll kill ya, and if it is too soft it will do the same, as you will sink into it and it'll block the blood supply..
I test seats by puting my elbow into them and lean hard, and kinda feel it. Also, make sure you get one of those split seats with sppace in the middle that makes sure you do not put your weight on "the middle" instead of the two bones. When I started I didn't think I had "bones" at all (I was 280)...

no matter how good a seat you get it will take a few weeks of riding until you get use to it and it stops hurting. Now I can sit on a bike for 60-70 miles with no pain.. Also, get yourself good riding pants, the type that has a chamoi (sp?) in them to protect from chafing. Again, do not tempt to get the type with Gel, it'll just bunch up and press on places you don't like pressed against (at least not when you ride)...

Have fun.. Riding is the only cardio I enjoy..
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 14:17

BF:

thanks so much for the reply!

I have a schwin (sp?) bike.. the seat sounds exactly like the one you describe.. im glad i asked the question and included the gel seat.. otherwise i might have found myself in an uncomfortable position..

i appreciate your input and look forward to future posts

ps: know any good places online where my husband and i could buy 'extenders' for our handlebars? (he has a mongoose) the customer service rep says they dont sell those parts (to raise the handlebars we would need to remove something and replace it) Also do you think we can do this ourselves or should we take them to a bike shop?

thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Rideing a bike is simple, rideing it well and getting the most out of it takes a little time.

Some thoughts:

1. There are SOME gel seats that might work. TERRY Cycling makes saddles for both males and females that might look "odd" but have merit. TERRY Cycling also has bicycles designed specifically for women. http://www.terrybicycles.com/index.html Arie it totally correct in that adjusting to a seat does take time. However, remember that you need to learn to sit on the back of the seat to keep the sitz bones on the wide part.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "extenders". There are several ways that can be taken. It could mean a new stem or those funny "horn" looking things you see on a lot of mountain bikes. It might be a good idea to go to a bike shop and get some advise on this.

3. There are lots of "things" that over time will help you get more out of cycling. A helmet, goves, and water bottles are essential. After that you can look at peddles that have straps or peddle-shoe combinations that allow you to hook on the peddles. Somewhere in there consider clothes that are specific to cycling such as padded shorts and maybe a bike computer. The computer could play a big part in charting progress and helping you calculate calorie burn.

4. The quality of your bike is important. It isn't critical that you have the best but if you ride a "tank" you will find that pleasure in riding might suffer. One of the great things about cycling is to go fast enough to create your own air conditioning and to see as much country side as you can. This is wear a reputable bike shop can be a big help. Walmart, Kmart and other discount/department stores are not the place to start. Their bikes are generally over weight, poorly equiped, and often poorly assembled. A good, general purpose "mountain" bike with front shocks will run you somewhere between $350-$550. You don't need a bike with front and back shocks. A bike shop will help you find a good selection for you and also be a place for additional help in operating the bike and fixing it. Many bike shops are now refusing to repair bikes that are from Walmart...

5. Just like you studied LC eating, it takes some time to learn things about cycling. Subscribe to BICYCLE magazine, join your local bike club, find others that you know ride often. Local clubs in any reasonable community sponsor rides for all levels of riders. Even if you are not interested in doing the Tour de France, you can improve your enjoyment just talking bikes with fellow riders looking for the same things you are. Many rides are more social then you might think. If you would like to provide information on your home town, I would be glad to see if I can get you a link to a local club.

6. Your getting ill could be related to the level of exercise you experienced and perhaps not being prepared for it. You can help yourself by learning to shift the bike to find the most approriate gear possible. Here, again, is where establishing a good relationship with a bike shop or club will pay dividends in the long run....errr....peddle.

Cycling is a GREAT sport. It is also a very social sport if you choose to let it be so.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 143/134/117 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
on the way there it was alot of coasting with a bit of cycling.. there is a huge hill that i only got 1/2 way up (very difficult to walk up let alone ride)..
is it normal for a beginner to feel like when she gets done? and will this go away? (I do feel better after sitting down for 10 minutes and drinking water.. is it simply that i need to carry water with me?)
thanks in advance for all of your help.. heres to better health and not getting winded on a bike ride !

Hi Peabod, excuse my editing your post.

I have found that when I exerise after abit of break from LC eating that I will feel quite ill initially. In fact, the first time I LC'ed about 3 years ago I actually vomited after some mild exercise. Afew days later I went for a long hike (6 hours) and had the worst diarrhoea I've ever had.

After a panicked call to my natropath, I worked out that this is actually a sign of your old fat cells being rapidly released for energy. This is roughly how it was explained to me:

The fat cells are used as a kind of toxic storage facility by your body, so when the fat cells are released into your system for energy, so are the toxins. The toxins make you feel sick, and your body will often react by expelling it ASAP (in extreme cases via vomiting or diarrhoea).

Drinking water will definately help your nausea, as this will flush the toxins out. After afew exercise sessions, everything calms down and you no longer feel sick, and you're now toxin free!

On your point about getting winded, I also sometimes find that when I'm really in ketosis and my body is using fat for energy, my muscles become quite abit weaker than normal, and things that I can normally breeze through I really struggle with. I guess this is because the fat is not as accessible to my muscles as the carbs I used to eat.

I ride bikes every weekend too (love it!), and my husband can always tell when I'm in ketosis, because I just run out of puff and go much slower than normal. I actually don't mind this feeling - how encouraging to know that every pedal means a smaller bum!

Noni C

PS Husband & I have matching gold bikes!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 04:01
Registered Member

Plan: ckd
Stats: 231/195/185
BF:
Progress: 48%

hi Peapod, congrats on getting on the bike!!

I must agree with the other guys about gel seats, they are wonderful for about 20 minutes , like a comfy sofa....
anything longer than that you will start having problems with friction
and believe me friction problems down there are not a good thing!!!

its probably tempting to goto the local department store or buy a saddle online, but I would seriously advise against it
make friends with your local bicycle shop, if you buy a saddle and it doesnt work out for you, they will as a genral rule exchange it for something that fits your body better

barends are good on long rides to move your hand position about, and seem to put your body in the right position for *grinding* up the hills
the danger though is they take your hands away from the brakes
but hey they look pretty cool and dont cost alot of money, so why not

as for water, dehydration is a real threat when you are lc'ing due to the lowered reserves of water related to glycogen storage. You can dehydrate very quickly when exercising.
The added problem on the bike is the *natural air conditioning* you dont know how much water you are loosing until its way too late because quite often you wont see the sweat

as a general rule, drink a large bike bottle full of water an hour, when thats gone, go refill it

invest in a water bottle ( bidon ) and cage for your bike
your body and performance up those rotten hills will thank you

have a great day

Simon
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 15:47

BF:

thank you all very very much!!

i definitely plan on getting educated! thanks for all the tips.. im absolutely thirsty for knowledge about this!! you can see what a novice i am just by the word 'extender'.. I meant stem

I dont know how to use the gears.. hubby says to shift into high gear to get speed up and then shift to a low gear for hills.. im just going to have to figure this one out from practice.. a bike computer sounds excellent for when i get better at it

I think ive read a few places on here where they say not drinking enough water will make you nauseated.. someone said drink 1 liter prior to cardio..

and just for the record.. when i read 'barends" i read it as 'bare ends".. i dont know what this truly is LOL but im too nervous of a person to take my hands away from the brakes (especially because of our HUGE hills, narrow roads and speed-demon drivers). I am however going to invest in an helmet, waterbottle/cage, gloves, clothing, and (temporarily) an 'odometer/speedometer' thing

any suggestions for calculating calories burned based on the type of ride i had?

THANKS so much!!! i truly appreciate you all..

looking forward to more reading..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 19:39
Registered Member

You will find that a simple bike computer is pretty cheap. $15 maybe. I have a fairly simple spread sheet in excel that calculates (ball park) calorie burns. You plug in your distance ridden, time it took, your weight, and there you have it. Email me if you would like a copy. There are a lot of variables but it should help you get close.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 01:12
Registered Member

BF:

hi again Peabod

lets have a shot at answering some of those questions....

gears....
believe it or not, its better to spin your legs faster than push harder
just watch the professional cyclists and how fast their legs go
basically forward energy = speed of legs X how hard you pushing
you will use your energy reserves more efficiently by staying aerobic by peddling faster ( especially on lc )
see if you can peddle at about 80rpm ( count the rotations/minute )
if you cant get there yet, dont worry, just practice

water.....
drink slowly but consistantly through the ride
stay hydrated, but not floating in it
make a mental game of it, like a mouthful every so often
getting dehydrated will sap your energy like nothing else

protective clothing
please please wear a helmet, its just not worth not wearing one
wear gloves because if you fall instinctively you put your hands out to cushion the fall.....ow!!
padded shorts (knicks) great investment, if you're shy about wearing lycra you can always wear them under *normal* clothing ( but never wear underwear under your knicks )
and dont forget to be sun smart ( here in australia skin cancer is a real threat )

calories.....
sad but true, exercise doesnt use many calories
what it will do however is make you fitter, heart healthier and most importantly stop your metabolism for crashing when you cut calories by dieting

my polar hrm book says for a casual cyclist
8.3mph = 3.75 cals/min
16mph = 10.5
22.5 = 24

just being out there is the important thing

simon
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 06:25
Registered Member

Sorry Simon, I can't pass it it. LOL If anyone would know about friction problems "down there" it would be someone from "down under"

Simon has a lot of great advise. I do want to suggest that exercise might burn a few more calories then his post might suggest.

The following is a calorie burn table based on speed in MPH. It was published in BICYCLE magazine several years ago. Of course, the faster you go, the more wind resistance you have to over come... If you ride a typical circle route (out and back) the winds sorta even out however higher winds will mean a slight increase in calories burned. Also, hills are not factored into this table. The first column is the speed, the second column is calories burned/per LB/min. So you find your average speed on the table and find its corresponding calorie burn rate, then multiply it time your ride time in minutes. As an example, last nights ride was 1 hour and 58 minutes, ave speed 19.5, I'm 229.

.0851 X 229 (lbs) X 118 (min) = 2300 kcals.

I have been useing this formula for YEARS and it seems to work very well on average. I now use a polar HRM and it calculates calorie burn pretty close to the table. The spread sheet I use does a table look up so it saves you from haveing to find the burn rate.

8.00 0.0295
8.50 0.0310
9.00 0.0325
9.50 0.0340
10.00 0.0355
10.50 0.0373
11.00 0.0391
11.50 0.0408
12.00 0.0426
12.50 0.0448
13.00 0.0469
13.50 0.0491
14.00 0.0512
14.25 0.0524
14.50 0.0537
14.75 0.0549
15.00 0.0561
15.25 0.0575
15.50 0.0588
15.75 0.0602
16.00 0.0615
16.25 0.0630
16.50 0.0645
16.75 0.0660
17.00 0.0675
17.25 0.0691
17.50 0.0708
17.75 0.0724
18.00 0.0740
18.25 0.0758
18.50 0.0776
18.75 0.0793
19.00 0.0811
19.25 0.0831
19.50 0.0851
19.75 0.0871
20.00 0.0891
20.25 0.0912
20.50 0.0933
20.75 0.0954
21.00 0.0975
21.50 0.1025
22.00 0.1074
22.50 0.1124
23.00 0.1173
23.50 0.1233
24.00 0.1292
24.50 0.1352
25.00 0.1411
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 07:30

BF:

wowee! excellent stuff guys!!

I hope to gain as much love for the sport as you have!!

taking it slow but someday I hope i can do what you all do and look back at these posts and laugh at myself a little.. for now, these 4 miles have become my best friend.. and will be, i reckon, for a long while!

my goal is to get around a huge lake we have here.. it is 4 miles one way but very hilly.. alot of competitors ride/walk/run there.. beautiful scenery!

however im not going to push myself too hard.. just build it up little by little.. im not trying to break any records here (or myself for that matter).. however youll find i will be asking more and more questions as time goes on and perhaps ones not meant for a beginner to ask, simply because im a 'sit at the feet and learn' type.. i like to be thoroughly educated on things.. i wasnt when i began atkins and i failed at it miserably.. now i restarted after a week of carb out and really educating myself, have been on it for a little under 2 weeks and am doing wonderfully (IMHO.. you can come visit my journal anytime.. link is in my sig)

i cant recall if it was in this thread or another, cue bald 1, that you said the most important part for me right now is working on my WOE.. and youre right.. that is my main focus, this being secondary

thanks again!!

Last edited by peapod : Thu, Jul-03-03 at 07:36.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:08
Registered Member

Moving some things back to "NEW" topic. Gear charts:

Well, gear charting and understanding the mechanics of shifting are an important step to firmly understand how to find the best gear to meet your goals. One of the first things you want to do is to make sure your bike seat is properly set. Here are some starting guidelines...

1. Have someone hold the bike steady while you peddle backwards with your HEALS on the peddles. Your seat height should be so that your knee is nearly totally extended. That will normally mean that when you put your feet on the peddles for normal peddleing that you will have a slight bend in the knee when the peddle is all the way down.

2. The saddle should be adjusted to be level to the ground for starters. After that, you can experiment with very small tilt adjustments. I use a VERY slight nose up on my saddle so that I don't slide forward.

3. Try to adjust the saddle fore-aft so that the top of the bone just below your knee cap is directly over your peddle axle when the peddles are parallel to the ground. A string with a small weight can be used to do that.

These fitting ideas will help you avoid unneeded knee problems and help you peddle more efficiently. OK, gear charting works like this. Get a calculator. LOL

1. Count the number of teeth on your front gears (known as "chain rings") and the number of teeth on all of your rear gears (often refered to as "gear cluster" or "cogs" or "free wheel gears/cluster"). You may be able to find the number of teeth on these gear stamped onto them but they are often hard to read if the gears are dirty and you don't know what they look like.

2. Look at your tires to determine their size. The most common sizes for tires are 27" or 700C for better road bikes and 26" or 650C for most mountain type bikes.

3. Look at the following links in this order to help you set up your very own gear chart and get an idea what it all means.

http://www.i1.net/~dwolfe/gerz/howto1.html
http://www.i1.net/~dwolfe/gerz/howto2.html
http://www.i1.net/~dwolfe/gerz/gerz26.html
http://www.i1.net/~dwolfe/gerz/index.html

What does this all mean? Well, those numbers are known as "gear inches". The bigger the number, the taller the gear is which means it is harder to push or you go faster for the same number of peddle strokes.

Trying to wrap this up, the idea is to find a gear where you can peddle comfortably at between 60 - 90 RPM without feeling winded and/or feeling strain on your legs, knees & hips. Don't worry about absolute speed for now. As you go up some of the easier hills, you try to keep your peddle "cadence" nearly the same as you do on flat terrain so to do that shift to lower gears and let your speed slow down. As you go down hill, don't peddle faster, instead shift to higher gears to keep even pressure on the peddles. If the hill is steep, you may need to shift to a HIGHER gear and stand out of the saddle.

Your goal is to combine bike fitting (saddle height and position) with a smooth, efficient peddle stroke. The final test for saddle position is when you can peddle around 60 RPM or more and your hips do NOT move.

Had enough?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 01:29
Registered Member

BF:

I like your formula there cb
see how it matches up with my hrm
scary mary with that technical stuff there
I think I just like to get on and pedal, working on the assumption tomorrow ill be better

Isnt cycling great peapod, I havent put my finger on it yet, but nature looks all that much better cycling compared to walking

With the diet, the others might disagree with me, but I try not to get too caught up in the technicalities of it all, just the principles
I low carb, but dont get too hung up by the rules or minor err blow-outs
long as im doing it better today than i did tomorrow, i think im doing great
hmm didnt i just say something like that about cycling

have a great day
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 07:06
Registered Member

m0rgan

I KNOW, I KNOW! LOL I'm a bit...umm...err...can I say "anal" at times and not upset anyone.

I like to teach cycling from the techincal side because I believe that it will help people get more pleasure more quickly. I was lucky, I seemed to learn this stuff naturally plus I was too stupid to know what I was lacking. I did my first 100 mile ride after owning a bike for 4 and I had never ridden more than 15 miles in a day before. On top of that, no toe clips, no water bottle, didn't know what a gear chart was, didn't understand shifting patterns, wore blue jean cut offs ( ...THAT HURT!), and $5 in my pocket to buy snacks on the route. I still completed the ride in a respectable 8 hours and THAT is how I got started. ([In my best Homer Simpson] Gee Marge, I don't know WHY my butt was sooo sore, and my legs hurt sooo bad, and I feel soooo ill.)

I've helped a few novices along before they tossed their bikes to the great storage shed god. LOL I admit, it helps to do it in person but what the heck. At work most folks know that I am serious about starting right and I've even helped them pick out bikes at my favorite bike shop...honorary employee. LOL

Time to go ride!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 00:52
Registered Member

BF:

hehe cb you are a star

i think learning to ride is better on a steep curve (better than steep hill)
Actually i got my *first* bike for Christmas, one of those el-cheapo
kmart kinda things, and just loved being on it
Barely went 4 miles the first few times

Easter time I bought myself a serious road bike *emptied wallet*
Training at the moment to do our local round the bay ride ( 140 miles )
on october 19th

hehe lookout peapod, cycling's like a drug