Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 11:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question Too soon to tell?

Hi guys and gals. Not sure if I'm just being an antzy pantz or what, but I've been on Atkins for 2 weeks now. After the first 7 days, I realized a 6lb loss in weight. I kinda expected the same results for the following week too, but today found that my expectations may have been too much. The scale still shows me at 210 (6 lb loss). I did a re-check on the tape and that little bugger shows a 3" loss on the tummy, so I don't feel at a total loss.

Here's what I've been doing: Drinking water & decaf tea only - no juices/milk or softdrinks. Most of my food is a meat product,eggs, cheese and a small amount of veggies. My exercise has increased. I ride my bike 2x week now and hit the gym 2-3x week too.

My only obvious downfall: On day 2 I was peer pressured into eating 2 slices of pizza at a friends house. On day 10 I ate a small cookie! I feel pretty guilty about that stuff. Otherwise, I've been a good boy.

I would like some opinions now... since I've been working out some, do you think it's possible that I may be putting on some muscle mass and therefore not losing weight? Or do you think I may have prematurely stalled? Any helpful insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 11:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Most people on week 3-4 don't lose pounds, their body kind of catches up with it's new way of eating.

You found one great thing -- the tape measurer went down. You will rarely lose inches and pounds at the same time, so measuring yourself and seeing it go down is a real encouragement. You might also find a favorite pair of jeans and use them as a scale. Getting them up over thighs, over hips, zipping then finally being able to wear them and breathe -- that is a good feeling.

You might consider upping your veggies -- you said you eat a little, eating the veggies will help keep you regular -- there are creative ways to get them in -- you might check the orange bar at the top of the page under low carb recipes -- yummy.

And the working out -- you will lose inches faster because muscle takes up less room than fat.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/attachme...ttachmentid=731

-- so even if you may gain a pound or two that muscle looks so much better.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Debi

Last edited by Debi Warne : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 11:51.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:05

Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default same

Hi I had the same results, but i have not cheated. The only thing I know of that could be wrong with me is the Atkins bars, I would have a half a day. But Atkins hotline said that it was ok, lots of people have tried to tell me that they would tell me that to make money and they made a point today, why would they do that, cause if I'm not seeing results than I would quit and stop buying them anyways. So that made since. They also have stuff in them that we can have. So, I don't know why we are not losing. I hope to get some advice, as of why.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:29
Contributing Member

BF:
Smile more exercise

I'm not completely depressed about my slow start. It kind of motivates me to do more exercise. I was at the gym today doing circuit training and 30 min on the treadmill. Afterward, I felt great! I plan on going more often now and working in some "bike" time too. I have a nice 21 speed mountain bike that needs some attention. I feel once I kick this into gear, I should meet my goals much sooner than without the exercise.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 23:03

Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default reply

Hey I started exerciseing in March and lost 15 pounds before I Atkins and now I don't have the energy to even go walking. I hope it will come back ,I've only beeb walking once this week.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 04:13
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

When you say "small amount of vegetables", how small are we talking about? According to Atkins, we're supposed to have 2-3 cups a day during induction (the 2-3 cups depending on what kind they are).
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 09:06
Contributing Member

BF:
Default veggies

My usual salad (veggies):

2 cups romaine lettuce
1/2 cup mixed cheese
2 tbsp vin & oil
5 olives
1/2 tomato (sometimes 1/3 cucumber)
-----------------------
total carbs: about 7g

I do this 1-2x per day.

Sometimes when I'm eating my bacon & eggs (w/cheese), I'll throw a couple slices of tomato on it too. I like some variety in my meals. I don't think I could just sit around and chew on a steak all day.. lol.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:25

Stats: 170/147/145 Female 5ft 9
BF:have no clue
Progress: 92%
Default I cannot believe that you are new to this!

Hi ya Coolcat, Sorry for barging into your journal but I ran across one of your posts from when you first started! I am amazed that you are new here. You speak *Atkins* fluently! LOL! Ok, bad joke. Anyways, I just wanted to say hello. I think I may follow your posts around for awhile and see what answers I can find. Here's to great success in the weight battle and healthy lifestyle! *Thats IF I can actually follow the damn diet* Ciao~ Kat
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dude: look at your stat-meter-thingy. You've already lost 38% of what you want to lose. On average, people lose about 10% of what they want to lose while on induction, and another 5% *per month* after that. The last 10-20 lbs are always slow to come off.

...so to answer your question, yes, it's too soon to tell.

Keep up the good work! It's a way of life!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:50

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Hey Coolcat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcat
... since I've been working out some, do you think it's possible that I may be putting on some muscle mass and therefore not losing weight? Or do you think I may have prematurely stalled?

I've been working out pretty hard lately too... and I haven't lost any lbs in over a month... BUT, I am losing inches... and that's all that matters to me.
A quote from somewhere on this list is:
"muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space"
Sounds good to me!

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by pegva : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 13:52.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:55

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

I hit a week 2-3 stall too. I had started exercising more as well, and I think i may have been holding steady due to increased blood volume and muscle mass. Just in case, I cut down on the cream cheese and aspartame, and now I'm slowly headed down again. Don't obsess, you'll soon weigh less.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/118/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 10%

yeah i also noticed that it's the muscle mass thats replacing the fat so the scales dont move