Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/128/120 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default New & Discouraged ...Help!

Hi everyone,
I just started the Atkins induction 14 day diet and Its been a week now. I have followed this strictly and not cheated at all. I haven't lost any weight at all!

Is that normal for this diet. I heard all these great things about how you will drop so much weight the first couple weeks. I know it hasn't been two weeks yet, but I should've lost some weight the first week.

Right now I weigh about 134 and my goal weight is 120 lbs.

Is there an average amount of weight that you can expect to lose on this diet?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:31

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Angel & welcome. If you look at the little green lines under your name (to the left of your post) you'll see the figure "13%". That means that in losing only 2 pounds, you are already 13 % of the way to your goal.

It is expected that a person would lose up to 10% of the way to their goal weight during the 2 Induction weeks so you are already ahead of the game.

It is really important that we not get hung up on the absolute number of pounds. Compared to the average person here, you have only a bit to lose. I know that those 15 pounds are just as important to you as the 150 pounds that some people want to lose. Or the 50 that I still have to go. But we have to look at Low carbing as a slow, steady, sure way to lose fat, not a quick way to lose pounds. We each need to learn to eat in the LC way over a number of months so that we will never regain after we get to goal.

So you are doing really well at 13% of the way to your goal in the first 2 weeks. Keep up the good work. It may not be fast, but it will work.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 00:43

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Is it possible that you are already at a weight that is normal for you? This forum seems to attract two kinds of people-those that consider getting under 200 a major goal (sometimes the entire goal), and those that seem to be shooting for the bulemic look, complaining about weighing 108 lbs.

Now, I realize that I dont know much about your height, etc, but at 5'4", and working out constantly, I was at my PEAK at 133 pounds. I never lost an ounce below that. You sure you're not listening to the beauty mags telling you you're ugly and fat?

Regardless, since you are so close to your goal, it will probably take longer for you to lose it. Be patient, dont sweat it...make this a way of life, not a quicky way to get to a certain weight, and you'll get what you want.

JC
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 10:26
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:

You do not have a lot to lose so you will probably not have a big dramatic loss during induction. 2 lbs in one week is great! Just realize that with so little to lose your loss will be slower. Don't try to compare yourself with others. Your body is not the same as anyone else's and so may react differently. The word 'normal' gets used on this board a lot, but actually no one is 'normal.'
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 14:05

BF:
Default Thank you

Well thanks to all who repied to my post....your words of encouragement have helped!

Take care & good luck to all,

AngelSJ
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 19:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Unhappy I feel you!

I have been on atkins a full 7 days, no cheats, and lots of exercise. I have lost only 2 pounds, which was water weight in the first two days. I am just wondering if this doesnt work for some people or what is wrong with me. I am going to give it about ten more days, and if no results, then it is back to the real world of low-cal and running! I guess, lowcarb cant be for everyone.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 14:09
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Again, your progress so far is 15%. A person can typically expect to lose 10% in the first two weeks.

Do you feel better eating this way? You might not have been doing this long enough to get the energy burst but the health benefits should be showing up any time now.

Atkins isn't necessarily a fast weight loss program, but it is a healthy one that you can maintain the rest of your life.

Beth
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 16:13

Red face hmmm

Quite honestly, I feel tired, and run down. I am eating about 1800-2200 cals a day, and following induction closely. I work out regularly, as i have for my whole life. I dont drink caffeine, or smoke, or anything. I just feel like I am giving this my all and I feel YUKKY. BTW i am taking a multivitamin and other supplements. I really have put a lot of research and time into this before deciding to go Atkins, and I am just feeling frustrated and grumpy. Is this all normal? Im a 20 yr old college athlete-i am not used to feeling crummy all day!

thanks for any advice,

j
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 16:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Angel! At 5' 5", you are already very close to a healthy weight for your height (if not already there) so you can expect those last few pounds to come off very slowly. Those that lose a lot in the early stages of low carbing are generally those that have the most to lose. With as little to lose as you have, you should also consider moving on to the OWL phase fairly soon so that you can get a good idea of what your carb level for maintainance will be. Good luck and keep at it!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 01:45
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile still going, and going.. and going..

I've heard that people that need to lose more seem to notice more loss faster than those who are closer to home that are trying to lose a little. (hehe) I was a little let down my first week in Atkins. 6lbs off but I wanted 10. I'm so greedy.. hehe. Then come week 2 (day 14), I weighed in again.. still 6lbs! ack! When I dug the tape out, I noticed a 3" loss across the tummy! yeah! So it's not all about weight. It's about size too.

If you're athletic or leaning that way, consider muscle mass. When you put on muscle, it weighs more than fat but takes up less room. So you're weight may actually show more, when you're losing fat and buring calories more efficiently. I recommend more water too. It's something I need to work on myself.

Good luck!

P.s. you mentioned feeling crappy - this is common in week 1 of Atkins. It's your body protesting for junk food! Mine went away in week 2.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 06:40

Lightbulb It must be all mental

Well last night i went to a Guster (very cool band) concert, had about 5 rum n diet cokes, came home, had meatloaf, and 3 outmeal coookies. HEHEH. Well, upon waking this morning, i had not gained an ounce, but i was pleased to discover an old pair of jeans now fits! so, i am wearing them proudly, and thanking my little mini-cheat!

smiling more,
j
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:13

BF:
Default Wow........this really works!!!!

I am sooo excited! I can't believe it.
When I 1st started this diet I was discouraged because for some reason I thought the weight would just melt off automatically.

I started the diet and did good for a bout a week and then I went to Las Vegas for vacation and cheated soo bad! I had to start all over again on the induction part of the diet. I started over again one week ago on 07/17 and at that time I was weighing approx 132/133. I just weighed myself again this morning and now weigh 128!!!!
I've followed the induction part very stictly and haven't cheated once since I've started again. I have one more week of this to go before I can start the "Regular" Atkins diet. As the days go on...its getting much easier to get used to not eating all the suguars and breads I used to. I've also started excercising a bit....I'll walk about about 5 miles a week...compared to no excercise before.

I can't wait till I meet my goal of 120 lbs!....I know I can do it!!!!

Take care & good look to the rest of you,

Mindy