Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 19:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5.5
BF:Si, mucho!
Progress: 0%
Default Hip pain question

I am 45 and I have ran for over 12 years... I had surgery the end of last year and was out for months..

Have been back running for 6 months and I noticed the other night that I had a sharp burning shooting pain in my hip. And now I have a dull ache in my hip. Any suggestsions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 12:05

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default New shoes?

tight hamstrings, new route?

In other words, what changed the past day or two that wasn't there when you came back after surgery?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 19:27

Well, Saturday morning since it was soooooo nice outside I decided to jog over to the field instead of run on the treadmill and I had to run on some cement for a little while on the way out and on the way back. I have not ran on cement for a long time. Do you think that could be it? It kind of makes since. Huh? Had not thought about that. I used to run outside all the time but I quess I was used to it. Now I am spoiled with the padding on the treadmill. Darn.... Can I work back into the cement thing or am I just too old?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 21:16

BF:
Default One woman's opinion

We're all too old to run on cement.

You can probably do just fine with really good shoes and carefully upping your mileage and lots of vitamin I after and all of that. The bigger question is, "how soon do you want your first hip replacement?"

Your body's telling you something. Listen. Next time, run harder on the dirt and walk over the concrete.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:04

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:

"We're all too old to run on cement" Enough said! Concrete/cemet is the hardest surface to run on and it takes getting used to IF you are going to. I am concerned about the sharp pain that you had. WHere in the hip was it? How long did it last? Have you tried running again since? Any pain?

I only walk on my treadmill and I run mostely on trails although I do a 24 hour track event once a year and I have to go train on the traack to toughen up my legs and joints to get used to it.

Good luck to you.
Maureen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 16:23
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

ouch, my hip was bothering me for awhile, then i switched over to running on a dirt track....much better.....hope your hip feels better, good luck.....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/124/110
BF:
Progress: 46%

I know everyone knows this, but make sure you STRETCH!!!

As a runner, the best way to prevent injury is to do at least 5-10 mins of stretching every day you excersise. Your hip area is most at risk when running (knee area second), even if you've never had surgery before, so make sure you keep everything nice and limber, since this is a high impact sport. Stretching after excercise will also reduce later soreness by leaps and bounds, which is what we all want!

A good (and simple) hip stretch: Sit on the floor in indian style. Place your right foot on top of your left knee. Reaching in front of you, lean forward with a flat back until you feel a good stretch deep in your hip. Hold for 7 breaths. Switch. Repeat several times.

Hope this helps! And keep running!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 12:05

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

i couldn't find a picture of this stretch on the web, but I'll try to describe it - it is a low back/hip stretch.

1. lie on your back, left leg bent, right leg flat. try to keep the flat of your back on the floor - that is, keep your pelvis tucked if you can.
2. put your right ankle on your left knee, like you are crossing your legs "man-style"
3. now, lift your left foot off the floor and bring your left knee towards your chest. if you need help with this, you can reach down and pull a little on your knee, or have a partner push gently on your foot.
4. relax into the stretch you should be feeling in your right hip. as you relax, try to bring your knee even closer.
5. once your knee is as close as it will get, gently rock your hips to the left to increase the stretch on the right hip - without letting your knee back down if you can. you can use your right hand to push your right knee towards the left if rocking your hips seems difficult or uncoordinated.
6. Repeat on the other side.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 14:00

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

you can also approximate this stretch while sitting in a chair. handy for when your hip starts to burn while you are working.
not as good a stretch as the one on the floor, but it works OK.

for example, from sitting in a chair:
1. Cross right leg over left knee, man-style.
2. holding a flat back, bend foward at the waist to stretch the hip.
You might need to press down on the right knee when you do this to keep it from popping up.
3. to increase the stretch, once you are leaning forward, shift your weight to the left and/or twist slightly to the left and you'll feel the stretch move in your right hip.
4. repeat on the other side.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 13:35

Talking Thanks all. No more cement for me.

I want to thank you all for your time and compassion regarding this matter... I have not ran on the cement since that day. I did think about walking to the dirt area and then running which would be a good warm up and cool down. I just do not like to let people see me in my running outfit, I am self-conscious. But if I am running I do not have the time to pay any attention to them. Silly Huh?

Someone asked where the pain was in my hip. Well it is hard to explain.. on the left side always and it just shoots through rather fast.. It is the 3rd or 4th time I have had it and it is always when I lie down to go to sleep. What is the concern? Could it be something other than cement?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 11:54

BF:
Default Give it time

It could be a lot of things but if it wasn't there, you ran on cement, it came, and it's not getting worse when you don't run on cement, take the obvious conclusion.

Bodies are funny about what hurts sometimes. Most of my aches can be directly attributed to being > 40 and not warming up enough.