Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 09:48

Plan: Atkins/PP combo
Stats: 314/269/150
BF:
Progress: 27%

All I can say(respectfully) is that I don't agree with your calculations. Fiber is part of carbs on the label. From the USDA website regarding labeling:

Quote:
Question: Does total carbohydrates include dietary fiber?

Answer: Yes. Dietary fiber must be listed as a subcomponent under total carbohydrate.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/qa2.html#nut

I'm no nutrtionist, and I have no clue how they arrive at these numbers, but when the USDA says that fiber is a compenent of total carbohydrates listed on the label, and Eden Soy said that the fiber had not been deducted (from the email) then I choose to accept the label.

And Lisa - what I meant by fiber having zip to do with calories - I also meant with regards to labeling. Fiber, being a subcomponent of carbohydrate, is not an additional calorie component. The accepted calulations are Protein x 4, Fat x 9 and Carbohydrates x 4 = Calories. Which, is all a layperson like myself has to go on. If they don't add up - then there's a problem. Eden's label does add up.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one topic
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 11:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The accepted calulations are Protein x 4, Fat x 9 and Carbohydrates x 4 = Calories.

Correct (if you round the numbers). So...for my can of Eden Black Soybeans I have (per 1/2 cup serving)

Calories: 120
Total fat: 6 grams (54 calories)
Protein: 11 grams (44 calories)

That's a total of 98 calories from fat and protein. The rest has to be carbs by default.

There are 22 calories left over, so that would be 5.5 grams of carb which still doesn't match the label, but is more consistent with what soybeans run in general for a 1/2 cup serving; about 5-6 grams of carb. Obviously, it can't be one gram of carb because of the number of calories left after you subtract calories from protein and fat (7 grams fiber subtracted from 8 grams total carb) and it's not a total of 8 or even 15 (8 grams carb plus 7 grams fiber) either which leads me to believe that they have indeed subtracted the calories from the fiber from the total and done some rounding up and down to get their counts.

The problem with what the USDA says about labeling is that manufacturers don't do it consistently, they round up or down to get even numbers and if your product is imported from another country, they do their labelling differently (fiber is often pre-subtracted from the count in other countries), so if you really want to know how many carbs you are eating, you can't always rely on the label. Either use the hidden carb calculator or do the math yourself. A few grams of carb one way or the other isn't going to make or break you, but if you were to eat 2 servings, you'd be getting 5 grams less carb than you thought (label says 8 per serving) and would wind up shorting yourself on veggies for the day thinking that you were at your carb limit when you weren't or you could put yourself over your limit by subtracting the fiber from the total count and thinking that you were getting only 2 grams of carb when in fact you were getting 11.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
No. What the label is saying, and the emails clarified, is that the 8 grams does not include the fiber. If the Eden company HAD chosen to include the fiber in the total carb count, what it would've read is:

Total Carbohydrate 15g
Dietary Fiber 7g

Actually this is what it USED to read when I first started buying the black soybeans. I was realy suprised when I got a can today and the label had changed.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally posted by LCklassy
All I can say(respectfully) is that I don't agree with your calculations. Fiber is part of carbs on the label. From the USDA website regarding labeling:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/qa2.html#nut

I'm no nutrtionist, and I have no clue how they arrive at these numbers, but when the USDA says that fiber is a compenent of total carbohydrates listed on the label, and Eden Soy said that the fiber had not been deducted (from the email) then I choose to accept the label.

And Lisa - what I meant by fiber having zip to do with calories - I also meant with regards to labeling. Fiber, being a subcomponent of carbohydrate, is not an additional calorie component. The accepted calulations are Protein x 4, Fat x 9 and Carbohydrates x 4 = Calories. Which, is all a layperson like myself has to go on. If they don't add up - then there's a problem. Eden's label does add up.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one topic

Actually, the single biggest error on the Eden label is that they have misrepresented (I'm sure it's not deliberate) Total Carbohydrates and plugged in the number from their lab reports for Carbohydrates -- and Lab Reports are done in the USDA format, where fiber is listed separately.

In short, the 'old' style label was more accurate... at 15g Total Carbohydrates and 7g Fiber (both soluble and insoluble). Also in short, the label is incorrect in its inference that one can then deduct the Fiber grams from the Total Carbohydrate grams.

The Calories calculations and numbers (NOT rounded to 4x4x9) in all the posts above are (a) a backcheck in case of error and (b) QUITE accurate and as prescribed by the USDA itself, based on thoroughly documented lab methods. It is the FDA that permits the use of the much more compact and simplified layperson version of 4x4x9 as seen on most Nutrition Facts labels.

It's not a matter of thinking too hard, or of choosing to disagree based on the assumption the manufacturer would not make an error (yikes, who's THAT optimistic?). It's a matter of looking objectively at the facts and seeing if they add up. They don't. There's an error.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default aye carrumba

Please tell me something that I can understand in regards to black soy.

Can I have the "almost black bean soup" from DANDR on induction?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Question ??

does this mean keto hot cereal actually has 15 grams of carbs then??

i plugged it into the carb counter and that's what it came out to.

calories: 150
protein: 17
carbs: 12
fiber: 9

help!!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 17:03
Registered Member

You don't have ANY fat grams listed. It's probably a mistake.

Try again including the fat grams and see what comes up.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 17:04
Registered Member

Default Re: aye carrumba

Quote:
Originally posted by NANCI B
Please tell me something that I can understand in regards to black soy.

Can I have the "almost black bean soup" from DANDR on induction?

I understand the recipes are listed, in DANDR, as to which phase (Induction, OWL, Maintenance) they are appropriate for. Is that not so?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 01:58
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hello,
I don't know if anyone else is still interested in this thread but I found it confusing enough that I wrote back to Eden Foods in the hope of getting something more difinetive. This is the letter I sent and the response I got back.
--------------------------------
Hello,
Carb counts for your black soybeans has been a topic of hot debate on the Low Carb Forum. Apparently two people have written to you and gotten back conflicting information. Now I don't know what to think and I'm sure that is the case for any who have read this thread. It would be great if someone there could go through this thread and get the gist of what is being discussed. We would appreciate having this cleared up as we still don't know if the effective carb of this product is 1 grm or 8 grms. This is such a great product and if we have an accurate carb count everyone will be much more comfortable using it.
Thank you!
-----------------------------
Thank you for contacting Eden Foods and your interest in Eden products.

Eden uses an independent lab for nutritional testing to verify nutritional information. We use their lab reports for the information that we put on the labels. The carbohydrates that we report on our label are taken directly from their reports. The lab does not make any adjustment to the carbohydrate figure as it may relate to fiber. We can assure you that our label lists true carbohydrates, not a "net number".

If you should have any further questions, please contact Customer Service.

Sincerely,

Sandra K. Baker
Customer Service
800-248-0320
www.edenfoods.com
---------------------------------------
So, there you have it. They claim that the information of the can reads as it is. There is the carb count that includes the fiber and there is the fiber count that can be subtracted for the effective carb count.
Hope this helps.
Signey