Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 06:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Need A Replacement For Toast

I've been on again and off again with my LC WOL but the ONE thing that is my downfall is what to eat first thing in the morning to break the fast.

When I am trying to get myself functioning while I drink my morning java I need to eat "something" and that "something" is usually a piece of toast. It's quick and easy and doesn't require brain power to make ... hey, I AM still half asleep here folks.

Any suggestions what I can nibble on first thing in the morning? I have a sensitive tummy at this time of day so celery or a boiled egg won't do (can't eat a meal or eggs, etc. first thing in the morning). I need your help folks as I have GOT to stop eating toast in the morning cause you know what? That makes me feel like crap!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:39
re-started LC 3/1/06

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 350/314.5/150 Female 5'4''
BF:Too Much!!
Progress: 18%

I sometimes eat a piece of slice cheese or a string cheese stick. Make sure you test a few brands and dont buy the cheapest ones because I havent found one yet that tasted really good that was the cheapest. satgento and cheese head are my favorites.

I either do that.. or cook a few strips of bacon in the microwave. Once I have that in my tummy I stop being hungry. You could also try slices of sandwich meat that is 0 carb. Not the honey hams.

I have also made devilled eggs using mayonaise, mustard, durkee red hot, and sprinkled with paprika. I make a dozen and eat on them for a day or two. They dont last long because my kids gobble them up.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 11:51

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Smile

Hi there,
Can you get low carb bread in your area? I bought a few loaves and keep them in the freezer, take out one to toast when I have the urge.
I also will have some bacon to chew on, or some ham...and the other thing I will have is some Gruyere cheese..those little triangles...they have 0 carbs...so no harm to that area of the diet...they do seem higher in calories...but that shouldn't be a problem if you are not counting cals.
I know that I have trouble eating in the mornigns...so usually just wait until I can have breakfast.
I also make up some of the low carb pancakes, freeze them, and pull them out and quickly toast them...that might work as well.
Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 08:26

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey Norma!

What kind of toast are you eating? There are a couple of lower carb breads around - Hollywood, Weight Watchers and there's one I've found locally - Betty's I think it's called, not sure how widespread it is. If you have to have it, they might be ok.

I usually just eat a couple of pieces of cheddar cheese in the morning, and a diet Pepsi!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 20:05

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've been geting the LC bread like Weight Watchers, right now I'm using Hollywood dark which has 8 grams of carbs per slice.

Can't handle eggs or meat, cheese, etc. in the mornings, they make me gag

When I can I make Shepard's Loaf which is yummy but I haven't been feeling well enough this past while so I haven't made any.

Perhaps I'll have to make do with the 8 grams of carbs in the morning, otherwise I'll end up eating nothing until a few hours after I wake up when I can stomach other foods.

Darned ... wish Wa'il would market his bread so we can get Shepherd's Loaf at the grocery store. ... hint ... hint (Wa'il are you listening?)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 06:18

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Good morning Norma,

In the sweet treats section Rob posted a recipe for an Almond cake -see "thought you died and went to heaven" (sorry, I don't know how to include the link). I make a half batch (in the microwave) and eat it as a corn muffin replacement. I also discovered if you bake it in muffin tins in the oven they are like "real" muffins - you remember the ones made with flour! I bet they freeze just fine. They are super easy to make too- as easy as a mock danish.

Rosemary