Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:01

Plan: Atkins / Induction
Stats: 205/197/150
BF:I know its there..
Progress: 15%
Post Many thanks...

What is the 2.5/3.0/0#/0# ?????
Are the other numbers with the *asterick symbols wt loss? Just trying to learna about stuff.

If I have learned anything, I have learned to respect my weight loss. When I take it for granted I gain it back.

Thanks Again

Minime*******

P.S. Love those recipies cannot wait to try them out.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

The 2.5#/3.5#/0#/0# is my weight-loss record since I started, week by week. Mine is still pretty short but you'll see some around the forum with nice long ones. It's very comforting to see the long-timers' records because it tells you a LOT about what to expect.

The asterisked numbers:

210*205*200....

is my whole goal from start to finish (I started at 208 and want to finish at 160). Right above the #'s you see my current progress as a "thermometer" reading":

.................|

It really helps me to see it this way, and it's great fun every time I get to lengthen it a little.

Last edited by lostarts : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 12:45.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 14:53

Post Very Cool

I don't feel so silly now thanx! I need to be as into this new way of eating as I was the old way of eating, in that case I should have lots of successes.. I love the thermometer thing! Especially living here where it is always getting hotter... thanks again.

Soon to be a..............MinimMe
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile Many happy returns!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MINIME!
Have a wonderful day!

Rosebud
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 11:19

Post #2 Birthday Dinner..the bomb!!

I went to a 5 star dinner for my birthday, after a 5 hour SPA day, it was the best gift my family has given me. I didn't feel too good on the way to dinner, a girl can only detox so much.

I had 2 cheese sticks and a huge bottle of water, before dinner, I had the best dinner ever in my life, without bread!!! That was the hard part, I had to remember how hard it was for me to start losing and that kept it on the other side of the table. I had the biggest piece of Lobster I have ever seen! The best green beans and and a large glass of iced water with lemon. (that is my new thing) I cannot drink ice tea with the caffiene anymore, I was up all night, with my Narcolepsy that never happens, must be Atkins.

However, I did choose to cheat, I had spinach salad!! Good thing to cheat with isn't it. I asked the manager if I could order it for 1 person, its a salad for two. When I asked if it be made without sugar she asked why.....well, she is on Atkins too. The salad did have a tsp of brown sugar in it, but I told her and my husband that THIS IS MY CAKE!! She did make it for one as a favor to a sister LCarber.... I would have eaten the whole thing. I did eat all of my lobster as well and you know what this LC way of eating is the best, I was almost sick I ate too much. I don't have to do that again, THank God! But It was truly a success and I must share that, was absolutely the first birthday, I didn't have to have cake! Or miss it, and was shocked that I was totally happy and content with me, who I am, and what I ate was enough and perfect. Anyone out there, ever spend so much time on cake??? It is definately a new found FREEDOM FOR ME!!!
Gratefull for all of you and this support group, could and will not do it without it!!!

Minime
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 05:17

Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Happy Birthday

Hi Minime,

So happy to hear you had a great birthday dinner. I am totally amazed somedays at how little food I need and every time I am out to dinner and how I say no to desserts. Amazing....

I think that we have found a strength here at this forum. It is really a good place to be.

Keep up the good work!

Karen
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 10:26
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Mineme--try 300 mg of L-Tyrosine for when you feel down and out. I use it to combat adult ADHD but it does have anti-depressant qualities as well. You can get it at Wal-Mart, as well as vitamin stores. You might also try Phosphatadyl Serine (which works for me as well), but it is quite expensive.
I was taking Zoloft several years ago for OCD but quit because it made me feel like a zombie (no emotional highs or lows) and it caused insomnia. At the time I was also taking Adderal (timed release Dexedrine) for the ADHD, which worked quite well, but a change in jobs meant no more health plan, so I had to find a non-MD prescriptive solution. L-Tyrosine, oral Vitamin B-12 (in 2500 migrogram doses), Phosphatadyl Serine, Pregnenelone, and DMAE, more or less in that order, helped the most.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:45

Post G8 2 Consider

I was happy to hear from someone who understands medications, thank goodness I have been taking the Ritalin LA for 3 months and free to boot! I am now taking Lexapro and the decreased my Welbutrin from 400 to 150mg!! Its taking some adjusting! My son has OCD & ADHD, and is only 6 years old. Its been a journey, quite educational.

I learned another lesson today, must eat, I didn't eat most of the day, wasn't hungry and then all of a sudden Boom! I feel like I'm gonna faint, its on 109 degrees today. All the water in the world cant give you fuel to go.... dummy me, going to get some hot links now. Have a great day and thanks again for the RX advice, any clues on whats ok to eat at Olive Garden?????? Cannot find the Carb count for anything.!!! We go on Saturday...

Minime
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 02:52
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Having never been there, all I can do is refer you to page 112 of Atkins for Life where he offers some specific suggestions on what to order in Italian restaurants "instead of" some fairly common Italian choices, to wit:

insulata frutti de mare instead of deep fried calimari
sauteed portobello mushrooms instead of deep fried mozzarella sticks
escarole/stracciatella soup instead of fettucine alfredo
grilled red snapper/calimari instead of linguine w/clam sauce
veal/chicken piccata instead of veal/chicken/eggplant Parmesan
etc.

Also, when I don't feel like eating in the morning, I open up a can of tuna packed in oil, or (relatively) cheap pink salmon (a tall can is about the same price at WalMart as a 6-oz can--and it will last me at least 2 servings). Its the oil that makes either palatable, plus a little salt. Tuna packed in water is awful, although I'd gotten used to it a little after feeding it to my cats for a couple of years (a forkful b4 giving them the lion's share). What can I say--it was nearly as inexpensive as cat food, and less when I figured that most of the cat food went, eventually, either into the trash, or onto the plate of the neighbors' pit bull--a really friendly mutt, in spite of their reputation to the contrary!

Since you live in Las Vegas, you might want to consult Dr. Corydon C. Clarke, who has ADHD and OCD hinself, and specializes in treating this and, basically nothing else. He helped all of my 5 kids, and ex-wife--we all have various manifestations, as do both our parents. He's not particularly expensive, especially considering his degree is in Medical Psychology, and his clinic has more than enough patients to keep him busy from 8am often to well past 6pm. He also likes to start patients on sub-minimal dosages and work up to just where the meds start working, rather than starting with the "average recommended dose" and, maybe, going down from there, as most doctors seem to do.

Last edited by Azraelle : Thu, Jun-12-03 at 03:20.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 15:17

Lightbulb Wow!

Believe it or not, my son sees Dr. Barton and I have seen Dr. Clark myself, he is the one responsible for getting the non narcotic Provigil!! They are a wonderful group of doctors, insurance or not, they are worth it. I will read that page you suggested, I am still on Induction but able to add carbs if need be, just nothing white! I will also eat before I go!! That is the best way. Have a great day!! Gotta get packing for North Carolina, we are taking my kids on their first vacation, yes we are flying for 5 hours and they do not serve food, so must have nuts and slimjims, and a shake.

Bye for now