Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 06:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/147/126
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Keto Strips

I have been doing Atkins for just over a week but have not lost any weight yet.

I have just been to the chemist and bought the Ketostrips to check that I am burning fat.

The strip is showing very high (dark purple)....is this good or bad?? If it is good....why am I not losing weight....??

If anyone has any ideas, or similar experience, I would be pleased to hear.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 12:26

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

There are a lot of threads aboiut this. You could search the boards. It is a complex issue. The general view seems to be that dark purple is not good, because it probably means you have not drunk enough water and so your pee is too concentrated. Are you drinking about 2litres a day?

It is true that you can show purple and not lose weught, and vice versa. I have found them comfort blankets in the past, but have decided to stop using them and get better at knowing for myself.

However, it must be disappointiing not to have lost anything. I suggest you write out a typical day's food and see what people think.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/147/126
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for your reply....

My menu for today was...

Breakfast:-

Boiled egg

Lunch:-

Scallop/prawn/mackeral/mushroom/broccoli in cream sauce

Dinner:-

Gammon and fried egg
sugar free jelly and cream

Supper

May have some pork scratchings!!

quantities/carbs.... http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 02:01

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down

Hi Jinx

I can understand that you are frustrated when the scales are not moving and the book promises so much, but take heart. You are not the only one to experience this.

Firstly, the average weight loss during the 2 weeks of induction is around 10% of what you want to lose. This for you will only be 2 or 3 pounds anyway, so do not be looking for large losses.

The ketostix showing purple means that you have converted your body into being a fat burner, rather than a sugar burner. The colour just means you are burning fat, this is from the food you eat as well as from your own body. You only need it to be in the positive range to register this. As already suggested, there are many other threads about this, so use the search function at the top of the page.

Glad to see you are using Fitday, but I can not see your page as I think the link is incorrect. Are you eating 10 times your body weight in calories? I also don't see any vegetables. You do need around 20 carbs a day, it is no point doing 0 carbs, this does not help your body to lose weight as it shifts the balance of other hormones.

Are you drinking plenty of water. At least 2 litres a day? Not drinking enough will stop you losing weight. So will not eating enough as it throws your body into starvation mode.

So, as already said have a critical look at what you are eating. With so few pounds to lose you will have to be quite clinical about it and it will take time and effort to get there.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 09:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree the problem could be too few calories and way to little fat. Thisis a high fat diet, and by going low fat and cal you only make your body flip into starvation mode. Instead of using the address for your fodo page, make your fitday public and it should give you a link to use. You can also choose the "HOME" link on the side of the page above food, go down to where you had the option of making it public and it will show there. It should look something like

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...html?Owner=jinx

replace jinx with what ever your username is.

On fit day only keep track of calories and shoot for the x12 or more range to start to get your body outof starvation mode. You can always cut back when closer to goal. Also try to get the green fat part of your pie chart over 60% at least. Alot of people do well in the 70-80% even.