Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/180/150
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Dark Undereye Circles?

Has anyone experienced dark circles under their eyes when lc'ing? I have noticed them for at least a week now, dh actually noticed them now too which surprised me and means they are dark!

This is my first time on Atkins - a little over a month into it. I have and have read the majority of DANDR - will read other parts as I move to other levels. I take a mult vit w/out iron daily, plus added a cal mag zinc supplement to help with leg/foot cramping. I followed induction to a t - lost 14 lbs! I have fluctuated a bit since then, but have basically maintained my weight loss and no more. I felt crappy during the start of induction and at points when I was not getting in enough carbs. But, lately I've been feeling pretty good and feeling like I'm losing inches - enough to keep me going with this WOE. I am in keotsis right now according to my random morning test stripping and the way I feel.

I am still frequently getting muscle "crampy" feelings in legs, etc. - not severe anymore but if I stretch it is especially true. Today, my mid-back totally froze up and now hurts - I was carrying about 14 or so lbs - this has never been a problem for me in my life! Just finished my TOM, all was fine - a bit heavier and crampier but nothing I cannot handle. HELP - the eye circles have me worried and add the back muscle thing today... I don't want to stop lc'ing - but I am getting worried. I do journal - I pretty much eat when I am hungry throughout the day - I try to get to 20 carbs a day - sometimes I don't... I do a good job with the water most days unless I get really busy at work... UGH.

Sorry, long post!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/184/165 Female 5' 6"
BF:no clue
Progress: 0%

DH commented last night that he could see I had some small dark circles. I've never had a problem with them before so that was kind of strange. He gets them easily, though, because he works himself so hard and is often tired
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Oh great! I already have them! Now I'm going to look like I was in a boxing ring! I've been blessed with natural raccoon eyes (thank you, Mom).
Well, I guess that's why someone invented cover-up...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

A couple of possibilities come to mind with the dark circles. Do you have allergies and are you drinking enough water? Allergies will give you what doctors refer to as "allergic shiners". My DD has allergies and she has perpetual dark circles under her eyes. The only thing that makes them worse is....dehydration. If she's not getting enough water, I can tell almost immediately because the circles under her eyes will get darker.
Regarding the muscle cramping, try adding about 200 mg. potassium, but only if you're not also taking blood pressure medication or diuretics. Check with your doctor or pharmacist first if you are and try to take it with meals as it can irritate the stomach if you take it on an empty stomach.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:46

BF:

Thanks. I will up the water and see what happens... I am usually drinking 60 oz of water daily at minimum. Many "good" days much more than that. Much of it in the evening, so I'll try to drink it all day instead. On an interesting side note - my dh is a diabetic on insulin - he gets dark circles under his eyes when his sugar count is too high. Funny - since I don't "cheat" on this WOE - and thus could not possibly have too much sugar in my system! Thinking maybe it has something to do with ketosis...? I do work hard and go to night classes - so tired is not out of the question - but I typically get in my sleep. I actually seem to stay awake later and get out of bed faster now that I am further into this lc'ing.

I am in "perfect" health - no health concerns that I know of. No meds except the pill which I have been on forever. I was going to up the potassium earlier - Target pharmacist said if my multi vit already had it he would not recommend taking more b/c some experience irregular heart beats, etc. with too much. Scared me into only buying the cal mag zinc supplement!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 19:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I was going to up the potassium earlier - Target pharmacist said if my multi vit already had it he would not recommend taking more b/c some experience irregular heart beats, etc. with too much. Scared me into only buying the cal mag zinc supplement!

With some people, I can see how that could happen, although I think you'd have to take way more than 200 mg. to get that effect. However low carbing and being in ketosis has a diuretic effect and you tend to lose more minerals such as potassium, calcium and magnesium, especially in the early stages when you are at lower levels of carb. Supplementing during that time with extra minerals is usually a good idea.
Strangely enough, I get palpitations if my potassium is too low.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 19:50

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm so glad you mentioned the dark circles! I've noticed the same thing in my mirror and I've only been on Atkins for one week! This is the first time in my life that I've had them (except some bad days caused by over-partying in my much, much younger days). I drink lots of water (at least 10 8-oz glasses a day, usually more) per day. I'm thirsty, though, so drinking the water is easy. I'm taking the Atkins Basic 3 supplement. Maybe I should try a little extra Potassium. Who cares how thin I am if I look like I just stepped out of a boxing ring!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 22:16

BF:

Thanks all - I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the dark circles going on. I will drink my water the rest of the week, check out the potassium again, and try to get some extra sleep this weekend to see how things go - I don't think it can hurt!

On a different note -- I just had to laugh tonight when I realized that the 14 or so pounds that "pulled" my mid-back today were just about the same amount I've lost on Atkins! Wow - that makes the loss sink in! I'd highly suggest finding something equivalent to the amount of weight you've lost if you think you aren't losing enough and need some motivation!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 22:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

I have the dark circles also.
Everyone thinks I'm tired, but I'm not. Actually sleeping better now.

Could it possibly be that SUGAR & CARBS cure dark circles?LOL
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 23:02
Registered Member

Stats: 203/171/150 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Dark Circles

I have always had racoon eyes and always had dark circles round my eyes. Last time i was at the doctors they picked up on it and aske if i had meny allergies - i am admitedly allergic to just about everything. Apparently if they are caused by allergies the blackness is caused by blood circulation under the eyes. She gave me some nasal spray which i take every morning and they have improved heaps!!! Not sure if this is the case for many other people but it sure helped me.
I also get very bad cramp in my legs and i find that magnesium does the trick to help mine as long as i take it every day
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 08:07

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I have them too and hate them...I drink lots of water, take my vitamins & minerals... Stinks ... one negative aspect of LCing it seems
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

This could be totally wacky but a holistic doctor (friend) once told me that dark circles under eyes were a symptom of allergies. When I asked about people who didn't have any "obvious" allergies, he said candida was often the cause.

I know very little about candida (mostly what I read in DANDR) but I understand it gets unhappy when carbs get low. Maybe related?