Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Calling all smart folks....Doreen, et al.....

I have been reading some of the older posts, one regarding the actual process that takes place in the body while LCing----the "metabolic advantage". Like all of you, I'm not satisfied just eating this way====I HAVE to know how it all works! Anyway....here is what I'm wondering about....

Adkins has spoken of caffiene causing problems with weight loss in some people. I hadn't really thought much about it until I read a post on an older thread that stated something about caffeine triggering adrenaline, which (the adrenaline) triggers the release of glucagon/glycogen, which can stimulate insulin. Is this true? on a strict LC diet, is there still enough glycogen stored in the body to be effected by adrenaline to the point where it produces inculin?

Is the process Adkins is talking about when saying caffiene can effect the weight loss in some folks?

I'm wondering because I'm trying to take care of any areas where I might be hindering my progress in losing fat. If my morning coffee is doing this to me (basically causing insulin production), then I'll obviously stop drinking it. Also, my asperin has caffiene in it.

Are there other things that can cause production of insulin(besides eating carbs, and taking in caffiene, if in fact, caffiene does do this in the body)?

I want to make sure I've dotted all my t's and crossed all my i's

Any help is so much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:37

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Dr. Atkins didn't want people to have coffee on Induction at least. I believe that caffeine may cause insulin secretion which will quickly lower your blood sugar and make you hungry - just like eating sugar/starch carbs does. So I think that's the real reason he suggests cutting it out.

A lot of people do keep on drinking coffee and still lose. Others try gradually mixing in more and more decaff. until they get used to the change. If you are a big coffee drinker, then stopping short can give you withdrawal headaches. (Caffeine is a component of some headache medicines because it dilates the arteries.)

Why not click on the Search icon above and do a search for caffeine? Be sure to click on "Show as posts" on the Search page which will open.

good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

In earlier posts, I've referred to some research which showed that caffeine ingestion appeared to cause sustained elevations of blood glucose and insulin, which could lead to or worsen insulin resistance. Natrushka posted those studies, and it seems that the effect was seen following the consumption of a large amount of pure glucose. You can read those studies here.

Other suggestions are that caffeine's stimulant effect causes an increase in adrenaline and cortisol, the stress hormones. The elevated cortisol levels are known to cause higher blood sugars, and hence increased insulin. As well, caffeine appears to cause the level of cortisol to stay elevated for a longer time than from other stimulants.

One thing about coffee, whether decaf or regular .. is that it has carbs. One 8 fl. oz. cup has 1g ... and most mugs hold 10 to 12 oz. If you're having several mugs of coffee per day, plus a packet of sweetener and/or some cream in each one, you could be racking up quite a few carbs. It really is best to limit to one or two cups a day, whether decaf or fully leaded, and maybe learn to like it black

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 00:23

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

As I diabetic I can confirm that caffeine will raise blood glucose levels. The only difference between a diabetic and a 'normal' person is that a 'normal' person would then release insulin to take care of the extra bg levels. In my case, it just raises my bg levels as I think I don't have insulin 'storage' in my pancreas, but I do have 'sustained' insulin release which eventually will lower my bg levels. (As will a brisk walk--makes my muscles need more sugar which in turn lowers my insulin resistance and allows my muscles access to that high bg floating around in my bloodstream) So as a type two diabetic I try to get my muscles to help bring down my bg levels too. Plus I no longer drink caffeineated coffee or tea (if I can avoid it). Plus I don't miss the caffeine withdrawal headaches I *used* to get!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 08:19

BF:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doreen T
It really is best to limit to one or two cups a day, whether decaf or fully leaded, and maybe learn to like it black
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your replies everyone...........and Doreen, yeah, I already only drink 1-2 cups a day and count every carb in the coffee and cream, etc.

So.........IF caffiene is causing an insulin reacation in me, wouldn't it make sense that it would show up on a ketosis strip-----that the strip would go to negative a while after drinking caffiene?
And then once the excess has been worked out of the system, the strip would show "pink" again?

Again, just trying to figure this out. Even though my coffee intake is minimal, I really do love it, but I want to know if I should go to decaf. Also, want to know if I need to find a different type of pain reliever that doesn't contain caffiene (but would hate to, as my current one works so well).

Thanks for all the help, smart folks
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:50

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Question Was wondering about this too...

I have an addiction to Diet Vanilla Coke. I have read that caffine and aspartame can cause blood sugar/insulin variations. However, when I drink the DVC, I don't find that my cravings increase at all. In fact, it helps curb my sweet tooth and appetite. If I don't feel any increase in cravings - could I still be affected by them and not know ?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 20:34

BF:
Default Re: Was wondering about this too...

Quote:
Originally posted by thininBC
I have an addiction to Diet Vanilla Coke. I have read that caffine and aspartame can cause blood sugar/insulin variations. However, when I drink the DVC, I don't find that my cravings increase at all. In fact, it helps curb my sweet tooth and appetite. If I don't feel any increase in cravings - could I still be affected by them and not know ?

Well, cravings don't have much (at least I don't think) to do with whether or not those things are affecting you. Basically, if caffiene does affect blood sugar (the question in my post here), then it's like you are eating more carbs....cuz' the rise in insulin is what happens when you overeat carbs (over 30 - 40 per day)......

I've actually posted this question to the Adkins website....when I hear back, I'll let you know.....