Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 13:58

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Why do we give high-carb to our family & friends??

Warning: Long rant.

I just seem to be getting more and more confused by this. If we consider this WOL to be more healthy - then why do we still give crap with added refined sugar and carbs to our friends and family? Why, when we do the shopping and cooking are we still giving them items that we know to be detrimental to their health??

I mean - we care about our loved ones, right? Our children, husbands, wives, friends and family who visit us in our home.

When we as a group know as much about the negative health benefits to eating sugar and refined carbohydrates - why do we continue to feed that to them? Does it really do them any good?

I don't want to assume that everyone does this, but I read a post today about a lady who bought something, later found out it had sugar so she gave it to her child, and then got the non-sugar kind for herself.

I understand not wanting to waste food - but come on.

I'd like to know - what, if any, changes have you made to the food you serve other people since you've discovered low-carb.

I guess this would make a good poll, but I don't know how to go about doing that - so I'm just posing a question.

This isn't just a matter of weight loss to you, right? It's about health, too. If you aren't willing to put this food in your body because it makes you sick and fat - then why continue to serve it. Don't we say - if it's something you can't live without for a day, then it's prolly something you should avoid. Americans are fat - and getting fatter. Why? Well, everyone on this forum knows why. Starchy carbs, sugars, and refined/chemical laden foods.

Am I the only one who sees it as hypocritical to continue to serve that dangerous food to our families? When we KNOW just how bad it is - not just for us who are fat and unhealthy - but for others. Eventually every one of them will suffer negative health effects of that kind of intake. It's inevitable. Just look at the millions of expanding wastebands, kids and adults with diabetes, heart attacks, cancer, etc. in our nation - and the ones in other countries where our influence has reached.

I beg you to consider not just what you family is saying they want to eat - but what is really the healthiest lifestyle for them. Don't come back at me with "Well they don't need to lose weight" - I know they may not need to do that - my point is that there are other health risks. Sugar consumption is linked to so many diseases - cancer, diabetes, heart problems, PCOS, etc. The research is growing and growing that shows that sugar and refined foods are a big contributor to our bodies diminishing health.

Look at your children - if they eat carbs and sugar all day - do you want them to continue that for 20-50 years. What do you think their health is going to be like after 20, 30, 50 years or more of that kind of lifestyle. Do they get enough exercise? Look at hubby, is he getting a 'beer-belly'?

Think of every single reason you love low-carb. Energy, clear-headedness, lower blood sugar/blood pressure/cholesterol, reduced cravings, hunger, better emotional stability. Do your kids have tantrums? Don't you think your family would like to experience some of that too?

Forget what anyone says about sugar not making kids hyper. My daughter is proof positive that children shouldn't eat sugar. Just ask DCFS about her screaming and tantrums and her inability to control herself. (BTW, she doesn't get sugar anymore, and she's doing much better.)

Have you thought about the correlation between sugar consumption in our lives and the rates of things like ADD? How about birth defects. PCOS. Women having trouble getting pregnant and having to use drugs to bear a child. Is it just me or have some of these problems just exploded.

Sugar has no nutritional value - no redeeming qualities. If your family loves sweets - switch to fruits, or start making their desserts with Splenda. Go to whole grains, not white bread and muffins, candy, etc. Make a few changes that will show you care. They may grumble - but eventually they'll thank you. And, even if they don't, you'll know that you did what you could to care for them.

We can't control whether our loves ones are hit with a bus on the way to work or school, but we can control what groceries we buy. What foods we make.

I am not saying that I am perfect. I've been doing low-carb for over three years on and off. But, I let my family have what I wouldn't allow myself to have. Sort of vicarious living. But, it's not helped them in the long run. So, from last week on - my entire family is sugar free. I am throwing it all out. I don't even want to give the food to my friends. I don't think that's fair to them and their health. I'm not going to perpetuate the unhealthy food. And, I am darn sure not going to support the sugar industry. I don't agree with what they are doing to us to make a few bucks, so it's a matter of principle for me not to buy their poison.

Sorry this is too long. Sorry, I get a little hot-headed. I just feel strongly about this. I think if every family that had a low-carber stopped shopping for the processed food with refined this, chemical that - the food manufacturers might actually feel the hurt. Realize that we as a nation aren't going to take it laying down anymore. We want real food, stuff that's good for us. Not this genetically manufactured stuff with added sugar and chemicals. Let them feel it in the pocketbook, the ONLY thing that they care about.

And let your family feel the love you feel for them with every low-carb meal you serve.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:15

Plan: my own (S.Beach-ish)
Stats: 272.5/264.5/150 Female 69in
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't do it.

I have 3 little boys and have always fed them healthy food. They do not eat "low carb", neither does my husband. Their carbs are fresh, raw fruit, brown rice, occasional wheat pasta, Ezekiel bread, homemade bread, muffins or pancakes made with several grains.

The rest of their diet is meat and plenty of it, simply prepared, organic eggs, nuts, seeds, nut and seed milks, and vegetables by the truckload!

We all drink water when we're thirsty.

Occasionally Mike and the boys have herbal tea or hot carob to drink. I am not afraid to judiciously use maple syrup and local, raw honey for them, either but its not everyday. Also milk rarely. I make sure they get plenty of calcium from other sources. If I could get organic, raw milk we would use it.

The result of this WOE for my family...they are off the charts, height and weight-wise. Mike and the boys have clear, bright eyes and beautiful skin. Not any extra fat on any of them, but they are big and strong. Also great endurance, running or biking or hiking.

I intend to keep feeding my family this way. Strangers often comment on my boys' radiant health, and how active and fit Mike is at age 33.

It ain't just genetic, either. My oldest brother's family eats this way, with very similar results. Big, happy healthy kids. My second brother's family eats the SAD and their kids are often sick not to mention on the scrawny side But people believe in health or they don't.

Also my children are homeschooled, spend most of their days outdoors, and have muscle-building chores. They do not receive vaccinations except for tetanus and inactive polio, which I believe has greatly contributed to their health. We don't do "well-baby checkups" either. I did that for awhile and the children got sick every time we went to the doc's office! Now we only go if there's a problem that needs medication or something major.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:17

BF:
Default forgot to mention....

lest anybody think my children are "deprived" we do occasionally make desserts or even homemade ice cream or candy. But its for holidays and we use real ingredients. I don't see any reason to feed 'em chemicals, just because everyone else eats that way!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:32

BF:
Thumbs up YAY for you!! :)

Sounds awesome!! I know it's going to take some time to transition to better foods, especially for my daughter, but I kalso know that she'll accept it. She's already getting the message that sugar is bad, and we've transitioned away from some of her favorite snack foods because of transfatty stuff. She rarely asks for the other stuff, and if she does I just remind her that it's bad for her, and she can have something else.

Your family is the ideal I am aiming towards for mine. Hope you don't mind if I bug you in future for advice and help.

Thanks for responding. I am so happy that my first responce was such a shining example of what a healthy food lifestyle can be. Oh, and we are homeschooling too! LOL.

Thanks again!

Congrats again! Your family is lucky to have you!!

Melissa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't limit my 3 year olds carbs, but I do limit his refind sugar and flour levels. He is allowed a ton of fruit, likes eggs and chicken, and probably eats to much peanut butter.

I do still allow him to have occasional bread, iron kids, though he rarely has it these days.I put his peanut butter on colby jack cheese isntead. He is also allowed one treat a day. Occasionaly he will have a piece of candy, but hus current fav is splenda sweetened blue bunny icecream bar.

When we are grocery shopping I do let him have free samples or a cookie from the bakery, I don't want him to be so restricted on food he retaliates by hiding food or binge eating later inlife.

All this sounds good, then he goes to his father's house every other weekend and has lucky charms for dinner :P
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:40

BF:

Melissa, nice to meet another homeschooling mom!

I'd be happy to talk about kid diets, anytime

I don't know how old your daughter is, mine have eaten this way since birth. Which has to be lots easier! Hang in there!

A bit of advice, I wouldn't teach her that sugar or specific foods are "Bad". The conventional wisdom from shrinks that specialize in eating disorders is, if you teach them that certain behaviors are bad, when they indulge in them they feel guilty. Too much focus and emphasis on food.

I don't know how much of that is true. My mother always wants to give sweets and empty calories to my 4 year old, and I worried about telling him that her food was bad. What I decided to do was to teach him about health, and the different ways nutritious foods help him grow. Also when you only eat sugar once a month or so, you feel like garbage when you do! Even a child can easily make the connection. Now on his own, he tells grandma, "I like cookies but I will only eat one. Too many will make me feel yucky."

My point is, teach positive health instead of a negative list of foods. What do you think?

Good for you about nixing the transfatty snacks! That stuff scares me silly. I mean, its just not food!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
When we as a group know as much about the negative health benefits to eating sugar and refined carbohydrates - why do we continue to feed that to them? Does it really do them any good?

Well...first of all, not everyone has a problem with carbs and sugar. Sure, living off that stuff to the exclusion of other much healthier foods is bad for everyone, but I don't honestly believe that everyone should be banned from bread, pasta and desserts forever and ever amen just because I believe that it's healthier to avoid them. How would we all feel if vegetarians suddenly took over the world and we were all forced to give up meat (all that saturated fat that the majority feel is so bad for us)?
When it comes to my kids, I still have the last word as far as what they can and cannot eat while they are under my direct supervision (school is another matter altogether) and they do eat whole fruits, veggies, cheese, meats and yogurts and lower carb whole grain bread. I allow them the occasional ice cream or candy bar (defined as once every couple of weeks) and they each get one bag of regular cereal per month. If they choose to eat it all in one day; fine, but no more until the next month. This teaches them to eat smaller portion sizes and not eat it so often because it didn't take them long to figure out that mom meant it when she said once a month. It also teaches them that there are other choices for breakfast besides Captain Crunch and Pop Tarts (the latter of which never enters my house).
As for the adults; they're adults. I have no right to tell them what they should or shouldn't eat. I know I get very irritated with those that try to tell ME how I should eat. I also don't push my WOE and my choices on anyone else nor would I appreciate it if they tried to do that to me. When I have guests, I cook my regular low carb meals and offer 1 higher carb side such as rolls or potatoes for those that wish to have them, especially if I know them well enough to know that they would appreciate such a choice. If I know that they are on a low fat diet, I also try to provide a lower fat meal. My friends that know I low carb afford me the same courtesy when I eat at their homes; they provide me with choices that are allowed on MY WOE.
If others choose to eat low carb...great! But I'm not the type of person to force another adult to eat like I do even if I do believe that it's far healthier. Freedom of choice...it's a wonderful thing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:05

BF:

Lisa, that's a great arrangement you have with your friends. I wish the people I knew gave a hoot about others' diets!

I do something similar. When we have people over, especially strangers, I have a little of everything. Usually meat, potatoes, several veggies, salad and a wholesome dessert. I haven't found anyone yet who doesn't like my cooking!

When we go somewhere else, its always a problem. So many people invite you over and have spaghetti with sugared sauce, white garlic bread and a sugary, fatty dessert I don't know what to do about this. I hate to offend people by not eating. Also I'm on a really tight budget and I know the cost and effort of preparing a meal for others. Still working on my diplomacy skills in this area.

Whoever was worried about kids retaliating to their oppressive WOE and becoming overweight bingers, I don't worry about it. My husband was raised on healthy homecooking and views junk food and fast food as absolute polluting garbage. I was raised not to waste money on "food" that has little nutritive value, and I believe it as strongly now as when I was twelve. So there's 2 people that prove, you tend to do what you did in the home you were raised in.

This is also proved by all the people who were raised on junk food and can't give it up now. You tend to stick with the familiar. I honestly can't imagine anyone in my family wishing they could eat white store bread and stop eating delicious, fresh whole grain bread that they help to bake themselves.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:08

BF:

LadyBelle, I beg your pardon! I didn't know how to read thru the posts while I was replying. I was addressing your comment about the possibility of a child wanting to binge or hide food.

AmyRose
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by AmyRose
LadyBelle, I beg your pardon! I didn't know how to read thru the posts while I was replying. I was addressing your comment about the possibility of a child wanting to binge or hide food.

AmyRose

AmyRose...I was one of those kids. When I was little, I was chubby and at that time, doctors still believed that sugar and bananas made you fat so...I was denied ALL sugar and NEVER got to eat a banana...things that I really liked. Yup...I rebelled at the first opportunity and bought stuff that I had been denied all those years as soon as I had my own money (allowance or babysitting). Knowing that I would get scolded if either of my parents saw me eating those things, it also taught me to hide those treats or binge on them so that they were gone by the time I was picked up from school or got home. Of course, the other dynamic there was that my older brother was very skinny so my mom bought all those sugary treats for him so he could gain some weight and I was never allowed to eat them.
Different kids will react differently to restrictions such as that and I think a lot does depend on how it is presented to the child and whether it is applied fairly and evenly to everyone in the home.
With my girls I don't tell them that foods are "good" or "bad"...it's more an issue of "good fuel" for their bodies or "junky fuel". Just as cars run better on the right fuel, so do bodies and that's an analogy that they understand.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 16:00

BF:
Default I agree.

I try not to emphasize that sugar is 'bad' per se - just that's it not a healthy choice. I am very lucky in that my daughter is young enough to not have such deeply ingrained eating habits. I am hoping that she'll develop them now and in the next several years.

A note - I do always point out the 'why' of something, as well as point out a healthier alternative when discussing food.

I don't limit her carbs - but I only buy the healthy whole grain kinds, with no added sugar. That way I can feel confident that her eating those won't negatively effect her health.

I am very lucky in that she loves proteins. She's caught on to several of my eating habits - and thank God they aren't the bad ones. LOL. She's not addicted to carbs or sugar, so given the choice she'll go about 50/50 - and I try to give her choices that include fat or protein with the carb. I find she has a more even reaction and doesn't come back in an hour wanting more.

We shop at Trader Joe's and she loves to learn about the food. We handed down a 'dictate' the other day after she'd had ice cream and spent about 6 hours (and most of the next day too, I might add) running around like she had ADD. She also gets more cranky and doesn't seem to have much control over herself. So, we told her - no more sugar. She couldn't care less. She still gets sweets, she already loves the desserts that mommy makes. We hadn't given her all that much sugar for a while before the other day and the effects of the ice cream seemed amplified. I think it's a matter of finding the right 'sugar' product to give her. The ones that don't seem to make her hyper - and have some redeeming nutritional value. Like oatmeal cookies. Or a nice muffin with plenty of fiber.

I guess I should have mentioned in my post that I don't really think elimination is necessary for good health - but certainly moderation - and moderation of healthier versions of sugary treats. Does that make more sense?

I do not try to control how much my daughter eats, when, or how much she finishes. I don't want her to have the same issues as I did/do with food. But, I think it's my responsibility to purchase and have available the most nutritious food I can find.

Hopefully she'll take that lifestyle and keep herself on a healthy path when she's grown and making choices for her family.

BTW, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant - so I already know that my daughter is at increased risk for diabetes. I wish I had never given her sugary stuff to begin with, but I was under the influence of a drug - refined sugar. I am going to make the best choices I can from now on - and pray for a healthy future for her.

I agree that having foods your guests can and will eat is important when entertaining - but there's always a healthier alternative.

Wheat rolls instead of white, desserts made with splenda or organic, unprocessed sugar. There are potatoes that have less starch. Vegetables that are lower-glycemic. I think that just because you want to provide some 'carby' and 'sugary' foods for your guests it doesn't mean you can't make a healthy choice. There are ways to make a wonderful meal that everyone can enjoy - no matter their eating styles.

Tonight I am making Skillet Chicken Florentine with cheese stuffed Ravioli. We're having no-bake no-sugar chocolate cheesecake for dessert. YUMM!! And something I would be proud to serve to any guest in my home.

Have a great healthy-eating day!!

Melissa

ps - The cereal idea is great. Luckily my daughter loves plain cheerios plain or w/ splenda added. I will remember this idea if in the future if she decides she wants something different. I'll first, of course, try to find a different version of whatever it is that's got less sugar, etc. I can't help it. I'm hooked on this low-sugar/healthier carb thing.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 16:29

BF:

Different kids will react differently to restrictions such as that and I think a lot does depend on how it is presented to the child and whether it is applied fairly and evenly to everyone in the home.
With my girls I don't tell them that foods are "good" or "bad"...it's more an issue of "good fuel" for their bodies or "junky fuel". Just as cars run better on the right fuel, so do bodies and that's an analogy that they understand.

Lisa, I totally agree. That situation must have been awful for you! Especially about the brother eating things you were denied. I'm sure that sort of thing could have some long-lasting effects!

As I said in an earlier post, even in our super-healthy family we do not make a big deal about sugar and white flour being "bad." We just emphasize what you DO eat to be healthy, and what sort of things make you feel yucky if you eat too much of them.

Also my homemade stuff is so much yummier, everyone I know would prefer homemade cinnamon rolls (Wheat flour, real butter, cinnamon, maple syrup) to any fluff food available. So I think in our case its more what we CAN have, what foods we love to eat, than about deprivation or things not being allowed. Our kids think they eat abundantly. At least so far, my husband and kids would never like to trade their 3 squares for convenience foods. I do not think it would all be so rosy if their diet was spare or monotonous. Also our nutrition-teaching is done with smiles and lowkey attitudes, which maybe helps.

Just my 2 cents, and I agree with all you said about the effect on children when their food becomes a source of stress
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 17:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't have any family, but I do like to entertain.

When I first started low-carbing, I would have some token bread or potatoes with dinner for the carb eaters. After about a year, I stopped doing it. No one ever seems to mind and if they do, they can eat bread when they get home. There is always plenty of good food to eat.

I applaud all you mothers who are feeding your children so well. I see so much heartache that comes from feeding children crap. Using food as a pacifier or a reward causes so many problems through the life of a child that grows up that way 'and I'm one of those children. Keep food as food and love as love and as much of both as they need to grow into sane and healthy adults.

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 17:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I never make or buy anything high carb, period. Our friends and family know not to expect bread or pasta or potatoes, but they also know there will be plenty of delicious food, including a yummy low carb dessert. People do tease us, but noone has ever complained about the food!

Karla
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 18:55

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well, I don't have a family to cook for and I don't entertain, my home is way too small. But in answer to accidentally buying something unhealthy and giving it away to someone else... never! If I buy something carby by mistake, it goes in the trash. I don't let me aversion to waste inhibit me.

And when I go to potlucks, I always take a good low-carb dish (usually all-in-one) because I know that it's probably my only chance of having something that I want to eat.

;-Deb