Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 16:00

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I agree.

I try not to emphasize that sugar is 'bad' per se - just that's it not a healthy choice. I am very lucky in that my daughter is young enough to not have such deeply ingrained eating habits. I am hoping that she'll develop them now and in the next several years.

A note - I do always point out the 'why' of something, as well as point out a healthier alternative when discussing food.

I don't limit her carbs - but I only buy the healthy whole grain kinds, with no added sugar. That way I can feel confident that her eating those won't negatively effect her health.

I am very lucky in that she loves proteins. She's caught on to several of my eating habits - and thank God they aren't the bad ones. LOL. She's not addicted to carbs or sugar, so given the choice she'll go about 50/50 - and I try to give her choices that include fat or protein with the carb. I find she has a more even reaction and doesn't come back in an hour wanting more.

We shop at Trader Joe's and she loves to learn about the food. We handed down a 'dictate' the other day after she'd had ice cream and spent about 6 hours (and most of the next day too, I might add) running around like she had ADD. She also gets more cranky and doesn't seem to have much control over herself. So, we told her - no more sugar. She couldn't care less. She still gets sweets, she already loves the desserts that mommy makes. We hadn't given her all that much sugar for a while before the other day and the effects of the ice cream seemed amplified. I think it's a matter of finding the right 'sugar' product to give her. The ones that don't seem to make her hyper - and have some redeeming nutritional value. Like oatmeal cookies. Or a nice muffin with plenty of fiber.

I guess I should have mentioned in my post that I don't really think elimination is necessary for good health - but certainly moderation - and moderation of healthier versions of sugary treats. Does that make more sense?

I do not try to control how much my daughter eats, when, or how much she finishes. I don't want her to have the same issues as I did/do with food. But, I think it's my responsibility to purchase and have available the most nutritious food I can find.

Hopefully she'll take that lifestyle and keep herself on a healthy path when she's grown and making choices for her family.

BTW, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant - so I already know that my daughter is at increased risk for diabetes. I wish I had never given her sugary stuff to begin with, but I was under the influence of a drug - refined sugar. I am going to make the best choices I can from now on - and pray for a healthy future for her.

I agree that having foods your guests can and will eat is important when entertaining - but there's always a healthier alternative.

Wheat rolls instead of white, desserts made with splenda or organic, unprocessed sugar. There are potatoes that have less starch. Vegetables that are lower-glycemic. I think that just because you want to provide some 'carby' and 'sugary' foods for your guests it doesn't mean you can't make a healthy choice. There are ways to make a wonderful meal that everyone can enjoy - no matter their eating styles.

Tonight I am making Skillet Chicken Florentine with cheese stuffed Ravioli. We're having no-bake no-sugar chocolate cheesecake for dessert. YUMM!! And something I would be proud to serve to any guest in my home.

Have a great healthy-eating day!!

Melissa

ps - The cereal idea is great. Luckily my daughter loves plain cheerios plain or w/ splenda added. I will remember this idea if in the future if she decides she wants something different. I'll first, of course, try to find a different version of whatever it is that's got less sugar, etc. I can't help it. I'm hooked on this low-sugar/healthier carb thing.