Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins!!!
Stats: 151/147/140
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default When should I move into phase 2??

I've been on Atkins for 2 weeks, lost 5 lbs and an inch off my waist. I'd say I want to lose at least 3 more inches off my waist total. When should I move into OWL? I'm actually afraid to. I tried atkins back in February, and when I raised my carb intake to 25, I was out of ketosis already. I'm really afraid that if I move up, it will just sabotage my diet. Anybody with experience have any suggestions on what to add and how to do it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:06

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

With as little weight as you have to loose, it wouldn't hurt to go into OWL. Maybe up it say 2 to 3 carbs and see how that does and increase it slowly until you don't loose no more
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

I'm in the same boat. I lost 8 lb and 2.5" in the first two weeks of induction, but thought my weight loss had sort of levelled out, but the last three days I've dropped about .5 lb per day. I need to switch to OWL before I get too low and go under weight, lol, but I'm not sure how to.

I sort of jumped into this WOE head-first (I started researching low-carb and low-fat plans on May 20, and started Atkins on May 21). Induction is pretty straight forward (and so far more successful than I could have imagined), but I assumed I'd have plenty of time read up on phases 2 and 3 before getting there. I shouldn't have been such a skin-flint when I ordered the Atkin's books on-line, and went for the lowest shipping and handling... I'm sure the answers lay in there, but the books haven't arrived yet. Upping the carbs probably won't be too hard (though I have difficulty getting up to 20 each day), but it's knowing what type of carbs to increase that is key. For the time being I'll go with veggy carbs...

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some responses. Thanks for starting this topic.

Last edited by Coriolis : Sun, Jun-08-03 at 09:21.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

The following link should help you out roxy_foxy: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-451522.html

and these links should help you out Coriolis: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-693999.html

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-61563.html

The decision to move to OWL out of Induction is, obviously, an individual one. Some people like to stay in Induction, to lose the bulk of their weight and their thoughts are "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but others like to move on to get more variety into their diet in exchange for a slower rate of loss (which I think is where you both are since you do not want to lose too much weight). What happens commonly, after Induction of about two weeks, weight typically hovers on the scale. So it's not necessarily upping the carbs that causes this. Your body is taking a pause from its weightloss. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

Thanks paradise. The Atkins site must be temporarily down as I can't seem to acces the pages you linked, but will check again later. Many thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 12:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Cor, I posted two links for you: How to Follow Phase 2, Part 1 and How to Follow Phase 2, Part 2. The first link I can't get through. When I go to the website directly, I can't get into the article. The second link is fine. I can also directly get into that article on the website. Can't explain the problem with the first link.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 13:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Also read

"Are You Ready to Move Beyond Induction?
Before you even think about stepping up from Induction, consider the possibility of staying with it for a while longer."

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-381023.html