Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 17:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/178/125 Female 5'4" (ft & Inches)
BF:Tons not sure
Progress: 34%
Question Looking for A Substitute...

I am trying to make a low carb Cheesecake and I have the filling recipe, but I need to find a recipe or something to substitute the crust ... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 07:56

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%

You can use ground almonds to make a crust... mix like a graham cracker crust and press into the pan.

I use a packet of ground almonds- 150 grams-- I think just about a cup in volume, and enough egg white to make it hold together (usually less than one), and a tablespoon of splenda if you want a sweet crust. This makes enough for my small pan, but if you like a thicker crust or use a bigger pan then make more.

I bake it at 200 C until golden... unfortunately I've never timed it. I think this is about 375- 400 F.

It can be used for virtually any type of pie because the almonds have enough oil to keep it from getting too soggy.

Use your judgement about the amount of egg white you need since no two eggs are the same. If you can press it up against the side of the mixing bowl and it stays then it's perfect.

This also works nicely with a bit of cocoa and splenda added to make a chocolate 'cookie' crust. I use a tablespoon of each because I like the bitter chocolate taste.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 20:21

Stats: 205/178/125 Female 5'4" (ft & Inches)
BF:Tons not sure
Progress: 34%

Is there anything else? I don't like almonds.

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 12:12

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Most any nut will do fine. I like macadamia or pecan.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:25
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have used pecans w/ melted butter and splenda and it was a wonderful crust.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 21:53
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Default Crusts

I've used nuts, but also Atkins Bake mix, vanilla shake mix, and the (overpriced) Carbolite Bake mix.. unfortunately, I never measure, but just mix butter in with some of the bake mix and a packet of Splenda, until crumbly.

I bake it at 375 for about 8 minutes (should be firm but not too brown).

In my experience, they all work about the same. I prefer the Atkins mix, but it does have a little "soy" taste to me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 21:40
Registered Member

Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

I used 1/2c pecans, 1/2c Hi-Lo Cereal, 2-3 packets of splenda, 4 pieces of RS SF Dark Chocolate (Has Sugar Alcohol) and 3/4 stick of butter.

I ground all the dry ingredients in the blender then melted the butter and poured it hot into the crust, pressed into the pan so it melted the chocolate and made it yummy!

For a filling this time I used SF Chocolate pudding, Vanilla Soy Slender, Ricotta, Cream Cheese, Chocolate Extract and Cream. All this I added to taste & texture.

Put it all in the freezer to set and took to a pitch-in at work. Even the skeptics of LC said it was good. The crust is really crunchy.

1 Cup of Hi-Lo Cereal has 12g of Carbs & 5g of Fiber so net is 7g and only.9g of sugar, cheap too, $2.19 for a 16oz box. I have seen it at Trader Joe's and Super-Target.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:53
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I use LowCarbSuccess Granola.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins kinda
Stats: 175/168/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 16%

Why does everybody use that Splenda and such????Do you all have that much of a sweet tooth?
I guess I'm lucky in that, cause I don't. Good thing too, cause I can't STAND the taste of ANY of those subs!!!!! They are ALL 10 times sweeter then reg. sugar to me, horrible aftertaste, and, frankly, just suck!!!
The little bit of sweetening I do, I think I will just go back to sugar, don't use it enough to bother anyway.

Last edited by misfit : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 08:39. Reason: misspell
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 11:17

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%

Yes, as a matter of fact many people do appreciate the taste of sweet things and don't feel satisfied without something sweet on occasion.

The world's come a long way since the days when there was only saccharin. And I think anyone who had a diabetic family member in those days can really appreciate the difference that aspartame and splenda made to the lives of those who can't eat suger... and for those of us who choose not to eat sugar.

Used properly, artificial sweetners have hardly any discernable aftertaste. They must be treated as the substance they are. They should be combined with flavours that compliment them and cooked in ways that don't impair their taste. If you try treating them as if they were exactly like sugar then they can taste rather foul.

Saccharin seems best in foods with a tart taste like lemon and rhubarb and it doesn't change at all when cooked. Also adding a pinch of salt to the sacharrin sweetened food helps to counteract the overly sweet taste.

Aspartame works well with the sweeter flavours like german chocolate, cinnamon, strawberry, vanilla, and caramel but must not be added to foods that will be cooked. Just like sacharrin, a pinch of salt is sometimes needed to temper the sweetness.

Splenda seems best with dark chocolate or fruity flavours but it can taste slightly bitter in foods that are baked for a long time. It's very nice with cream and berries or for cooked custard.

For ideas check out some diabetic cookooks... they may not have many low carb recipes but they will give a good idea on how best to use artificial sweetners.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 13:40

Plan: Atkins kinda
Stats: 175/168/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks for the info, but I think I will still use sugar, like I said I don't sweeten much anyway.
My mother and her twin sister are both diabetic, so I am aware of the using of it. They both use and don't mind it. I can taste it, no matter what it is in, even if I don't know its been used (they have tried to trick me!! LOL) I guess I am just super sensitive to it.
You all enjoy!!!! Me, I'm gonna stay away from it.

Thanks Again!!

Last edited by misfit : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 13:41.