Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Tired?? My answer...

When I am on the Atkins diet, I always, after a few days, get so tired that I can't exercise or anything. I just want to sleep. So I go off of it. Someone told me that this was because this diet lowers your blood pressure and I have low bp to begin with. The solution is adding more salt. I'm ready to give Atkins another try while I'm in this menopause hell. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it with salt??
Please let me know!!!!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 14:18

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

This way of eating is diuretic so I suppose it could lower your blood pressure. I think the answer is to drink lots of water - at least 8 x 8 oz glasses a day. I think deliberatly introducing salt into your diet could cause more probelms than it's worth.

Another point is that you may be feeling tired bacause the body is switching over from burning glucose as fuel to burning fat and it's not quite 'converted' yet. I think you need to give the low carb way of eating a longer chance to prove itself. Go light on the excercise until you feel you are ready.

I've found an increase in my energy levels since I've been eating low carb as my blood sugar isn't rocketing up and down all the time.

Good luck.
Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 06:50

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

[COLOR=deeppink] Hello heremego and welcome to the site. After reading a number of posts, it seems to be fairly common to experience that tired feeling. I have been on this
WOE for 42 days, and the first few days I had the same thing happen like my energy was zapped and I might pass out. Well I didn't and stuck with the program. Within a few days I actually got that burst of energy, and have been going strong ever since! It is truely amazing. What I found that also helped is to journal what I ate, if I exercised.took supplements, drank water, and how I felt. It is sure nice to reflect and see the progress in this short amount of time. Also I see you mentioned being in menopause hell. You might want to check the section on this site under health I think as I was reading a section that addresses menopause. Had 200+ comments, so obviously a "hot" topic. Good Luck! Queen Bee
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 08:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Heremego....

That tired feeling, especially the first few days, is often the result of carb withdrawal and is very normal. Switching your body from burning glucose for energy to burning fat is a big change and you need to give your body a chance to get used to that change before you go making other big demands on it such as strenuous exercise. That's why Dr. Atkins recommends cutting back on the exercise for the first few weeks so that you body can fully adapt or just skipping it altogether until you feel more up to it.
If the tired feeling continues beyond the first week or so, it could also be a lack of calcium/magnesium or potassium due to the diuretic effect of the the induction phase. If you take prescription medication for blood pressure or diuretics, check with your doctor or pharmacist before adding supplements, but otherwise those are good minerals to add at any point.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 08:29

Stats: 144/140/120
BF:
Progress: 17%

I've been having this same problem, and would be interested in knowing how long to expect this tired feeling to last. I know everyone is different, but if I knew an average amount of time before that energized feeling kicks in, it might help me make it through. I'm starting my second week. Not only do I feel tired, but kind of sad as well. I played a singles tennis match yesterday for my team, and I could barely make it through the second set. Thanks.

JJ
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 13:10
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks you guys for all your help. I will start tomorrow!!!!!!