Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:05

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Have you ever seen yourself in someone else???

Hi All,

I ran into Walmart today to buy snacks for my sons T-ball team today and I was walking around the store (I admit I was sidetracked by the vast array of stuff walmart carries) I ended up behind a woman who weighed easily 350-400 lbs and I noticed she was huffing and puffing but still managing to eat out of a pack of doughnuts. I saw her consume about 4 doughnuts , she may have finished the pack after I left her, who knows. But I saw myself a year ago in this woman. Barely able to walk, yet still stuffing in the death foods, wearing a tent cause they dont make anything in your size and I realized how far I have come. I may not be at goal yet and it may take me a year or more to get close, but I can shop for clothes again, I can run with my son, I can garden without getting faint from heat, I no longer sweat at the slightest excercise, I could go on and on about how this WOL has made my life better. I didnt know until about 3 weeks ago that my mother had told my husband she was afraid I was going to have a heart attack (before I started the LC)

So, I saw myself in this woman and I just wanted to say that I may not be the skinniest chick on the block yet, but I am grateful for every ounce I have lost and every bit of energy and vitality I have gained.

The only problem was I wanted to tell her about LCing (which I would never do unprovoked) Maybe she was put in walmart by some divine source to remind me that I have come a long way and that although the path ahead is most certainly going to have mountains to climb and valleys to traverse, at this point it is possible to look back along the road and see the distance I have covered before I start putting one foot infront of the other to complete the walk ahead. I want to thank you all for the support I get here because I sincerely believe without this WOL I would have without a doubt headed for a very early grave.

Last edited by gotaloseit : Fri, Jun-06-03 at 17:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Default I know what you're saying . . .

I find myself looking at all people differently. Hang with me here. As a Christian, I feel I have the eternal answer for everyone. EXCEPT, you can't tell by looking at a person what their spiritual condition is. When you LOOK with your eyes at people, well, we all wear our fat on our sleeves. It seems that people's sadness is standing out to me more. When I see people doing things like you describe, I find myself looking at their eyes. So much of the time, there is a visible emptiness there. A void they are trying to fill with food. I don't think I'm making a judgment when I say that - I just think I am RELATING to what they are doing. I stood in line behind a woman 2 nights ago. In her cart, she had only the following items: 2 dozen donuts, a dozen or so cans of biscuits, 2 or 3 cans of juice, 2 bags of potatos, and 2 loaves of bread. She was a large woman. I just wanted to tap her and say, "I can teach you a better way." Like you, I won't answer an unasked question. I just pray for opportunities to inspire, encourage, and maybe even teach others to search out a better way for themselves.
I also find myself counting my blessings more and more. At the beginning of last year, I WAS the 350lb woman huffin' and puffin' around. I never would have eaten in front of anyone, though. I would have waited until I was alone in the car and sure that no one was watching. As if that makes me a better person. Ha!
Keep counting your own blessings! Thanks for thinking to write this down. I'm sure many others are finding themselves relating.
Shari
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 06:30

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I have always found myself praying for people I see having a hard time just walking. . .before LC they served as warnings. . .you too can be here. . .now I want to go up to each one and explain.. .it's not you. . .it's the carbs. They are like the cake in alice in wonderland. . .carbs constantly say 'EAT ME' and also shampoo. . .'Eat me' then repeat.
redawn
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 07:33
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I sometimes find myself staring at women such as the one you described and I have to catch myself -- the last thing someone like that needs is to be stared at. I think my fascination with them comes from both empathy, because that was me a year ago, and fear that will be me again. I would never go up to a stranger and talk about diet, but I hope that as Atkins and other low carb plans get more publicitly, more people will learn that carb addiction is the root of their problem.

I am grateful every minute of every day that I learned the source of my weight problem. Even though I still have a lot of weight to lose, I am not that woman anymore. I regularly walk four miles in 70 minutes, I can buy clothes in most stores (size 22, but a year ago I couldn't even fit into the plus sizes at most stores), I can climb the six flights of stairs from the parking garage to my office, I can keep up with my husband and kids when we are sightseeing or shopping, and I can even comfortably cross my legs. I never want to be that woman again and I am sure she does not want to be herself now.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 09:31

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I sure hear you guys. The other day I was shopping and was behind an older woman at the checkout. Everything in her cart was processed food. All junk. I looked down at my cart, and where in the past I would have had as much junk in my cart, I had only whole food. All natural. The only thing that was processed was my 0 carb bleu cheese dressing.

What a switch!!!!! What a blessing. Thank you God for getting my mom to start Atkins this year, and for prodding me to start myself.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 10:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Default Me too

I have also seen the woman you are discribing and have counted my blessing that I have found this new way of life.

The other day I saw this guy who has been in our neighborhood for years, sence I was little, he calls himself " Garfield". Hes a very heavy set Man who has the biggest heart, years ago he was Bigger then what he is today and when I used to see him at the pool. Kids always made fun of him and called him terrible names. I always felt bad for him and could see him crying inside. Now he has lost some of his weight and he now can ride a bike and can take walks, were he couldnt do any of this before. I don't know if hes LCn but when I saw him I just wanted to reach out and tell him that there is a better way, and that I was inspired by his loss. Of course he was just getting on the bus when I saw him but other wise I would have.
You know as a Christian we are told not to judge others, we dont know there situations or what they have been through. I just wish the rest of world would get the same message and would help instead of hurt. I think alot of people would be different.
Hope you all have a wondferful weekend
Blessings to you all
Stephanie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 10:36
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I would love to get a button that I can wear to the grocery store that says:
"I've lost X pounds and I am going to lose X more! Ask me how!" or "Body by Atkins" - when I get top my goal, of course!

Or a t-shirt like a food label: I. E., "This t-shirt contain one person, Serving size: 4 Petite, Ingredients: steak, butter, cream cheese, lobster, mixed greens, broccoli, sugar-substitute and spice. Certified Low-Carbohydrate!" (Once,again only after I get to goal!)

I find myself fighting the same desire to be an Atkins Evangelist -- and I am just dying for them to ask me why I have 6 cartons of cream cheese in my cart but no bagels!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have to say I love the tshirt idea........I think we could market them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also saw the other day that someone has started an atkins catering service to the stars............their three meals are delivered to them everyday with snacks, alls they have to do is eat them. I was thinking this might be a business to get into...after all people pay Jenny Craig tons of money to eat her so called weight loss food, why could this be the next big business...but this time it would be a weight loss system that really works.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 21:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%
Talking

I have been telling everyone I know about my diet program. I feel healthier because of this WOE, even in the short amount of time I have been doing it.

Only 6 short weeks ago I could down an entire container of pringles in one sitting (with a diet pepsi no less.) So I can empathize with the lady in the grocery store (Although, I must say I never ate while I shopped unless it was a free sample, I don't beleive in opening something until it has been paid for. But that is just me.)

I am trying to get my mom and my step-mom to start this program. If either of them come to this site, I hope they look me up and post in my journal. (hint hint)