Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 238.4/235.6/160 Female 5'7
BF:soo much
Progress: 4%
Default Carbo-lite bars

Has anyone else experienced bad tummy problems after eating one. I was so excited because it tasted good but oh my I can't stay away from the toilet. Could it be these bars? Or maybe I am sick! Would love to hear what ya'll think!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/162/135
BF:
Progress: 56%

I have never tried the Carbo-lite ones but on most if they are made with malitol they state that it may have a laxitive effect. It happend to me when my fiance thoughtfully bought me a box of Purdy's no sugar added chocolate truffles. I went a bit nuts not having had any chocolate for so long. I read the back of the box and that is what it said. The Atkins Advange chocolate too I think.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:50

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Many of the different types of bars contain maltitol. Which can have a laxitive effect.
"Maltitol is a reduced calorie bulk sweetener with sugar-like taste". Not all of the carbolite contain it but many do. I don't know too much about the other sweeteners that are used.
Be sure to keep a close eye on those ingredients so you can tell which ones give you problems.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 17:48

Stats: 238.4/235.6/160 Female 5'7
BF:soo much
Progress: 4%

All I can say is I have never been so miserable. It has to be the bars. Never again and I bought a 6 pack!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 18:14

Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

No, you aren't sick. It's the bars, definitely! Some people react to maltitol w/bad tummy aches and trips to the bathroom. I get extremely gassy. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 18:52
Registered Member

Stats: 350/331/200 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I had my first one of those today. Someone at work brought one for me because everyone else was eating real chocolate. I have never been so gassy and miserable in my life. They sure tasted good, but the after effects are not worth it.

Hey, maybe I lost a few pounds after all that time I spent in the bathroom!

Michelle