Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:56

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Metformin - What to Expect?

There seems to be a difference of opinion here as to how long it takes Metformin to start working. I have been on it 2 weeks (without having a blood work-up) and it seems to be working. If it isn't...there is no way to explain why my BG is 75-85 when I return from the gym. If is is not working, then the gym sure is!

Also, how long does it take for this stuff to leave your system? Does it take weeks? I am very anxious to stop taking it, as I have read a bunch of articles on the Internet that say to avoid taking it if diet and exercise are working. (BG is around 110 all day...drops at night...raises to around 120-130 in the AM.)

Edited to add: I am taking one 500 tab per day: 250 in the morning...250 at night.

I thank you in advance for your time!

Last edited by Sherrielee : Fri, Jun-06-03 at 09:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Well, some information, not advice

I have some information, non-advice for you.

My mother, who is 64, was taking that same dose you are taking, 500mg per day on the non-NR. It was doing absolutely nothing for her, after she stopped taking it, nothing changed.

Modification of her diet to 50 carbs a day (I know, but it was all I could talk her into) she is now at 120 or so on the morning fasting versus 160-180 low fatting it. She is beating her 29 year on son (me) in that department as mine is usualy 130 - 140 on meds (I may be advanced Stage 5).

So, understand that the dosage you are on is lower than the minimum dosage recommended by the manufacturer, so it is quite possible it's simply doing nothing.

On the other hand, that's the only drug for diabeties that actually has been shown to help you to lose weight.

If I was in your shoes, I would keep it around for a couple months anyways to help melt a few more pounds. Then stop it the medicine and test 4 times a day to watch for blood glucose readings.

I have done it before, so I am sure anyone can do it. Get to that goal weight as fast as possible and stay there.

Per my doctor, Glucaphage will start helping within a day or so, but the maximum effect will not be there until a week or two.

Good luck,
wsgts
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:20

BF:

Thanks for the great tips wsgts! Talking your Mom into 50g of carbs per day was probably quite a feat....congratulations!

You know, I have noticed that my appetite has disappeared. If I don't eat for 6-7 hours, I will get a headache...but nothing else. I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks, so you have a point. Ofcourse, I am also eating 20-30g of carbs per day and trying to eat mostly fish (salmon) and chicken.

I realize that weight loss is my "magic bullet". I am really making an effort to get it off ASAP. My daughter bought me a gym membership for my birthday and I am very motivated to use it, as Diabetes is nothing to fool around with.

I have a Dr's appointment on July 8th to get totally checked out. It's a GP, but HE has to refer me to an Endo...or my insurance won't pay for squat. So...I am going through the system. You guys are terrific. I come here everyday for advice and motivation!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:59

Default Making sure

I hope you are getting plenty of good vegetables too, that will help some too, just watch out for the sweet ones.

Good luck with your continued good health.

Later,
wsgts

BTW, we were in Marietta for a week a couple months ago. Nice place, lots of traffic.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:36

BF:

Wow! We live in Marietta/Kennesaw. We are right next to Kennesaw Mountain and Town Center Mall. Yes the traffic is dreadful. When we moved here 27 years ago, the spot where Town Center Mall is was a pig farm on a 2 lane road. Lots of changes, mostly for the worse...but some good! (lots of shopping )

RE: Veggies - Got it covered...We eat lots of baby spring greens, broccoli, asparagus...lots of green veggies. I eat a little red bell pepper and a half an avacado almost every day in my salad. Those carbs add up fast, don't they? (My husband was quite surprised to find there were carbs in eggs.)

Have a Great Weekend!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:18

Default Marietta

We were camping and stayed at the little RV park called Brookwood RV Resort Park there in Marietta. My wife was in town on business and pregnant, so no way she was going by herself.

We spent a lot of time at Dave and Buster's. My wife didn't care for it, but me and my 5 year spent a couple hundred dollars in there .

Nice to talk to you, talk to you later,

wsgts