Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 06:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/230/185 Male 6 ft
BF:39%/32.8%/15%
Progress: 42%
Default Water Weight?

Can someone explain to me what this initial water weight is, and where it comes from? I've always heard about it. I've lost about 8 pounds and zero fat% so I'm guessing its all water weight from my 5 days on induction. But where does it come from. Already all my clothes fit much better. And the funny thing I found is that at work I've always tucked in my shirt and cause of my belly and sort of tight shirts. My shirt tails were always coming untucked. Hasn't happened since monday my firstday. Anyways...I drink 9ozs of water in the morning 3 liters of water during work and probably about 27 more ozs at night. And very rarely am I not thirsty, never had this problem before atkins. Is this cause of the water weight loss?

John

PS. It's friday.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 06:35

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

If you have increased your water intake, your body will release it. Most people do not drink enough water. So, all of the water from your foods and such will be held on to by the body to keep itself from dehydrating. When you are giving it a fresh steady supply of water, it will release the water from your body which carries the toxins and such out of your body.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:42

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

The initial water weight loss comes from your body using up glycogen which is stored in both your muscles and your liver. Each gram of glycogen has 3(?) grams of water attached to it, so using it up causes a big drop in the water composition of your body.

A lot of people get very thirsty when they are low carbing. It is because the diet has a strong diuretic effect on the body, it flushes all of the rubbish out of your body.

Also, something to keep in mind with bodyfat% - they can fluctuate by up to 5% depending on your level of hydration, so you may actually have lost some bodyfat, but because you are drinking so much ater it might not register
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%
Default water

I recently went u[ a few pounds and then all of a sudden I have been "going" for days...more than I've been drinking. The problem is that now I am getting charlie horses in my neck. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rudysmall.jpg (14.7 KB, 8 views)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:30

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

Try eating more dark green leafy veggies to up your potassium intake. Avocados are also an excellent source of potassium.

If you are on not other medications you can get a potassium suppliment (most blood pressure medications are contraindicated for them though so go ask your doctor if you are in doubt!)

At the supermarket check out the salt substitutes, they are made out of potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride. Good for you and you can get the taste without guilt