Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 72/65/70
BF:6%/6%/6%
Progress:
Default don't want to Lose weight!

I'm interested in Atkins for the health benefits but not as a weight losss plan, but find that the books are always talking about losing weight. OK, I'd like to slightly reduce my percentage of body fat (so the muscles stand out ) but I don't want to reduce my hard-won muscle mass (in fact I want to gain weight). Is this feasible on Atkins and if so, how do I calculate how many carbs I can take if I'm already gaining weight through body-building exercises?

This brings me to my next question: exercise. Can you do it on induction? (I'm talking principally about weightlifting here).

Thanks, and good luck to all you low carbers out there!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:33

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Take a shot at it

I'm pretty new and losing weight like dropping rocks. However, I'm starting to think about your problem--what's it going to be like when I get to target?

1. The books talk about losing weight but they really mean losing fat. You're not going to lose muscle mass if you're eating enough protein, which you almost can't help but do on the plan.

2. I, and many others (see the exercise forums) have found some loss of "fast-twitch" endurance with a LC WOE. Much better in the longer, slower activities than I used to be. Plenty of room for the energy drinks if your workout is strenuous enough to need them.

3. I'd think that a week or two of induction would show you what your body wants, then just keep upping the carbs till you get to where you are stable. Hunger is the best indicator for me, and now that I'm close to carb-free (within reason), it's amazing how accurate and clear the hunger signals are. I never used to be able to distinguish between real hunger and low-blood-sugar cravings, but the latter have completely disappeared.

happy experimenting!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you don't want to lose weight then there's no need for you to do the induction phase at all. You might want to consider getting and reading Dr. Atkins' new book, Atkins For Life and starting at maintainance levels instead of induction.
If gaining muscle is your primary goal, you might want to have a read through the exercise forum. There are low or lower carb plans specificially for those who are trying to build muscle such as Body For Life and CKD.
HTH!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 06:55
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Johnny, I feel I must help you out here. So here is what I am willing to do for you. Any weight that you lose, you can just pass the loss over to me instead, OK? That way we will both be happy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:28
Registered Member

Stats: 252/224/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 27%

LOL Mary me too.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:25

Progress:
Default What a great place to be!

What a welcome! This really is a nice place to be. Thanks for all your comments and help.

cs: you're so right, I'm learning, little by little, how important it is to listen to what your body wants - I too am finding the signals clearer once you break out of old habits. So true the old adage:

"Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're dry: if they don't catch you, you'll live till you die"!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:37

Progress:
Default weight swap

Thank you Mary, Blairwitch for your kind offers; I'll keep them in mind. Maybe if we put our heads together we could come up with some kind of weight transfer device. Can you imagine it? We'd make a mint. Keep working on it!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:43

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi there Jonny,

I've managed to gain 2lbs over the past 2 weeks - so if you find you need it - just come calling ;-)

Helen.
UK
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:45

Progress:
Default Jumping in a the maintenance stage

Thanks for the swift reply, Lisa. I'd always wondered if it was essential to go through induction, as basically, in the end, Atkins turns out not to be very different from any other eating plan, just that you eat more fat and less carbohydrates. In fact it is a calorie-control diet with the main difference being that because it's highly structured (you keep proteins and fat stable, only changing the intake of carbs), its easier to calculate how much you can eat before gaining weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:48

Progress:
Default Yeah, but were you trying...

(serious question)

cheers,

JohhnyB
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:12

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Hi again Jonny

I suppose if I am honest then I have to say that I am not sticking to the plan as rigidly as maybe I should be...

... don't get me wrong I'm not cheating - just eating too much full stop!!! And indulging in too many sugar free chocolates - and too much wine - no hope for some people is there....

I have done great to have lost my excess weight, and I did it pretty quickly 8lbs in two weeks - and then the next 8lbs over the last 5 months - I am basically happy with my new found shape - but I would like to shift those last few extra 1lbs...and the 2lb I have just put back on...

... so I daresay I am going to have to cut back on a few things - especially the chocolate!!!

Helen.