Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Red face Whey Protein ( was i wrong about this one)

I tought that all the hype was infact some bull, whey protein behing a by product of cheese ( a waste) , so i really tought that it wasnt any different then other proteins, and that you didnt quit need any other protein then the ones that are in your diet.

Was i wrong, i started losing my hair around 4 years ago, nothing much, some thining but still after reaching 30 i was getting a bigger and bigger bald spot on top of my head.

I decided to do something about it this year, so i bought some Nutricap lotion and capsules, well one of the ingredient in the capsule is pur whey protein.

I went and did some research on this and found out that whey protein stenghten the hair , is very good for the immune system, and so much more.

I know that Dan said in BodyOpus to take at least 50g of whey a day, well i beleive him now.

Guess that Whey is in for me.

BTW, no more back pains and my hair has started to grow back everywhere on my head.

Now i am happy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 15:08
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Very interesting - I have thinning hair myself.

I have bought Designer Protein Whey from Trader Joe's (because it was on sale) and the chocolate is good in unsweetened soy milk or mixed w/ ricotta cheese as a kind of pudding.

Thanks for the great news!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 16:10

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I eat Strawberry Designer Whey mixed into yogurt and cottage cheese almost everyday. Tasty and helps me meet my protein requirements.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Talking Glad i could help you

It is very important that we do share some information on supplements and things that work and do not work.

I have been doing this treatement for about 1 month and a half, but since your hair is recycled every 3 months, you should be able to see good results in that time.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 02:19

Plan: Body opus
Stats: 178/170/160
BF:
Progress: 44%

Whey protein is so much much better than other proteins. It has a much higher bioglogical value and aminos contact than other protein. It is also as cysteine in it which increase immune fynction , prevent muscle loss. No protein comes close the only protein that is highly used in the body is egg protein. Soy is the crapest source of protein and meat is second worse.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 16:24

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi everyone....yannick, great information.....

I am also from Montreal....Can you tell me what is the brand name of the whey protein you are using and where do you buy it.....Can I use this in the introduction stage?... Is your whey protein in powdered form?.... As you can tell, I have never used or seen this stuff....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:31
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

hey guys, have ya'll every tried "Isopure", i've been hooked on this stuff and it tastes pretty good too....2 scoops = 50g of protein...great stuff, and it comes in low carb (<4g ) or zero carbs
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: 1st ATKINS; now CKD!!
Stats: 208/166/158
BF:
Progress: 84%

ISOPURE is good but is really exspensive. Twice as much as WHEY. Where do you get your ISOPURE at and how much?

thanks
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:29
Contributing Member

BF:

well, i have a local source here in Houston, called DNC off of FM 1960, i buy it for $31 for a large bucket, not sure what the net weight is though. i guess i've never paid attention to the price of Designer Whey, i'll have to make a mental note the next time i'm there.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: 1st ATKINS; now CKD!!
Stats: 208/166/158
BF:
Progress: 84%

I saw it on the web for $29.50 for 3lbs. is this a good deal? A serving consists of 2scoops 50g protien 200cal

I get 5lbs whey protein optimum niturtion for $23.50. A serving consits of 2scoops 44g protein 4carbs 220 cal.

Would there be more of a benifit if i drank isopure after lifting compared to the whey? For the difference in price?

Will nothing but consumption of protein after my workouts be better than the fat and carbs in the whey i usaully drink after?
Will there be that much of a difference in growth or what not if i drank the ISOPURE instead of the whey after workouts?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:58
Contributing Member

BF:

well, "from my experience", i tried several brands of protein shakes and Isopure gave me the best results. more protein with less to drink. when i would drink a Isopure shake within 30 min of my workout, i had great results in gaining muscle. i've tried EAS, Weider, and some others right after my workout but they didn't give me the results i wanted, maybe too many carbs in them? but like i said this only applied to me, i've gotten some of my friends to try Isopure and they've had some good experiences also.

the $29.50 is a good deal, just gotta look at how much they charge for shipping. for the same 3lbs bucket, GNC=$50, my source= $31...so you've definitely got a good source.... maybe you could drive around your area and see if there's a mom n pop supplement store that may have it at a better price?

if you're on CKD, you could add a teaspoon of flax seed oil to it for the fat part, but when i tried it, i didn't like it....i just went with the plain shake. oh and BTW, IMO their dutch chocolate is better than the vanilla...