Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:16

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default might have an ulcer

ive been having stomach pain for about three weeks now (since before i started atkins) and people have been telling me it may be because of a stomach ulcer (maybe from stress)

my question is, is it possible that atkins is making it worse? if it is an ulcer will i have to stop doing atkins?

i havent been to the doctor yet, but i plan to within the week probably. im just hoping the doctor doesnt tell me i need to stop doing atkins
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 20:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi new_here,

Low carbing won't make an ulcer worse - assuming you have an ulcer.

My dear, you need to do more than just plan to see your doctor. You really, really need to go, as soon as you can.

I am an ICU nurse by trade, and while I don't want to scare you, you should know that stomach ulcers can have scary complications if they are not treated.

You may well not have an ulcer. the pain could be caused by many things - maybe something quite innocuous.

But please, see your doctor as soon as possible to put your mind at ease.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:40

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

new.... I have a history of ulcers and take Prilosec. I am finding that eating low-carb actually helps with my ulcer (perhaps it's psychological??) but for sure taking the medication doesn't affect my weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:14

BF:

well i went to the doctor and he said i probably have acid reflux disease, he gave me some medication but its not helping at all, so i have to go back next week and get him to suggest something else maybe. i hope its not psychological, i wouldnt like to cause myself this much pain, sometimes its so bad i cant walk :-/
*sigh* hopefully ill be better soon...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:14
Registered Member

Stats: 190/152/115 Female 4 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 51%

has your doctor checked you for gall stones? I had gall stones and it was horrible pain. I had my gall bladder removed. They can see gall stones on a sonagram.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:34

BF:

well it only really happens after i eat... i never even thought of gall stones.. haha i dont even know where my gall bladder is.. i know the pain seems like its coming from my actual stomach, not just that area, is the gall bladder close enough to the stomach that that could be it?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 09:24

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Is the pain a knawing type of pain? Does your stomach feel empty? Or is it a burning type of pain?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 10:10

BF:

its like a nausea and a really bad stomach cramp pain, its hard to describe
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 10:38
Registered Member

Stats: 190/152/115 Female 4 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 51%

your gall bladder is attached to your stomach. It is between your stomach and liver, I think. The liver empties into your gall bladder and that goes into your stomache I think. I thought I had an ulcer when I was so sick with it. But it eventually got so bad that the pain moved into my chest. Then I went to the hospital and found out it was my gall bladder. Yes it can hurt after eating. I think that might be one of the symptoms but I am sure there are some people here who are nurses that can tell you better than I.

here is what happened, I ate and had pain and would get nasty heartburn. Then it got very extreme one night. I had pain in my stomach and heartburn. The pain moved to my back and stomach, then the pain moved to my chest and scared the crap out of me.

I was relieved to learn it was gall stones and could be removed easily.

EDITED TO ADD: The surgery was quick and I was ready to go home the next day! So even if it is gall stones dont fret. It was not to bad and I have felt better than I did in a long time. I never have heartburn anymore either.
Also, it's not just an older persons disease. The girl I was roommates with was 20 yrs old. She was there for the same thing.

Last edited by happyhat : Sat, Jun-07-03 at 11:04.