Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Expert: Obesity epidemic set to get worse"

Expert: Obesity epidemic set to get worse

Monday, June 2, 2003 Posted: 12:42 AM EDT (0442 GMT)

link to article

HELSINKI, Finland (Reuters) -- Obesity has spiralled into a worldwide epidemic affecting 250 million adults but a leading nutritional expert believes the worst is still to come.

Overweight adolescents are on course to fuel an even bigger global health problem as they mature into obese adults, he says.

"The younger generation, the generation after us, will be even more obese than we are, which doesn't make the future look very promising," Dr. Mikael Fogelholm said in an interview.

The chairman of the 12th European Congress on Obesity, which ended in Helsinki on Sunday, said the prevalence of obesity among adolescents has increased more rapidly than among the middle-aged population.

"We can't expect that the present generation will die and we will have a lean generation," added Fogelholm, who is also the director of the independent UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research in Finland.

A steady, and in some cases life-long, diet of high-fat fast foods and idle hours in front of the television and computer, has taken its toll on children.

"Most obese adults now had not been obese children," Fogelholm said. "They obtained their extra kilos (pounds) after they were 25 or 30 years old. But now we have more and more people who are already obese at the age of 10, 15 or 20.

"If the trend goes on, the future doesn't look better. It looks worse unless we can find a way to prevent obesity."

Along with expanding waistlines, being overweight or obese increases the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, strokes and certain cancer. In the United States, where over half of the adult population is obese or overweight, obesity costs about $93 billion a year in medical expenses.

Elsewhere obesity rates range from two percent in some developing countries, to 80 percent on remote Pacific Islands and about 20 percent in Western countries.

Fogelholm believes the solution to the problem must begin with changes that encourage people, and particularly youngsters, to get more exercise and to make healthy food choices. But he stressed that must include changes in how city centers are planned, how food is marketed and the sizes of portions in which it is served.

Ministries of transport, environment and education should be involved in health policies, he added.

"It's a complex phenomenon especially from a behavioural viewpoint," he said.

"If you think of smoking -- people either smoke or they don't smoke. But everyone has to eat and what they eat, how much and the amount of exercise they get make weight control a very complex behavior."

About 1,500 doctors, nutritionists, researchers and geneticists are attending the conference which started last week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:56

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Fogelholm believes the solution to the problem must begin with changes that encourage people, and particularly youngsters, to get more exercise and to make healthy food choices. But he stressed that must include changes in how city centers are planned, how food is marketed and the sizes of portions in which it is served.

Somebody actually gets paid big bucks to state the obvious? Jeez, I'm in the wrong profession.

Seriously, I'm glad to see that someone with a degree recognizes the importance of integrated societal support for good nutrition.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:06

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

The problem is still who decides what is good nutrition. He skirted the issue by not saying what he thought good nutrition is, but most of the nutrition programs I've seen are carb-based and limited in fats and proteins. We all know where that leads.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by DebPenny
The problem is still who decides what is good nutrition. ;-Deb

Yup. "Good nutrition" is defined by the day care center that my kids go to in the summer as Granola bars or cereal bars, those little individual cereal boxes, frozen waffles with syrup, orange juice, hot dogs, chips, cookies, some fruit (mostly bananas), sandwiches made with white bread, etc..
No wonder my oldest daughter gained 6 pounds last summer even while being very active and swimming every day.
When I asked them not to let my daughter eat 4 hot dogs with the buns for lunch (she actually did this!), I was told that because they receive federal funding they had to let the kids eat as much as they wanted if they said they were hungry.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Oh, Lisa, I'm having sympathetic frustration pains! Is there anything you can do about your day care center's feeding practices? Maybe they have to let the kids eat as much as they want if they say they're hungry, but can't they make the entire menu healthier?