Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/173/150
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Question????

Hi! My question is can someone please explain to me how you can lose inches and not any pounds. I know this seems like a dumb question but I really do not get it. Thanks!! Alicia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Alicia,

It does seem confusing, doesn't it?

What happens is that if you gain muscle at the same time you lose fat, you will shrink while weighing the same - or even a touch more.

The thing is that muscle weighs more than fat. Have a look at the picture here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...usand+and+words

When we start low carbing, many of us have been eating insufficient protein, and simply eating an adequate protein diet, causes some muscle growth. And of course, many of us start or increase our exercising at the same time. It's amazingly common to lose inches, but not pounds. It's the reason we tell folk to measure as well as weigh.

All the best to you, Alicia.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/173/150
BF:
Progress: 28%

Rosebud! Thanks for the post! That picture helps explain my question. So I guess I will get the tape measure out- or is it to late to start now. Thanks again that really helped. Alicia
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 07:19

Stats: 174/165/120
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking losing inches, not pounds

I've been low-carbing for a month and lost 9# the first 2 weeks and none the last two (was traveling some). I am a little discouraged but realize that changing my eating & beginning an exercise program (Curves 5x weekly) is probably the reason the weight isn't coming off with the inches. Needed to hear it from someone else, though. Those of you on Atkins Induction let me know how you are doing.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Blossom,

You are doing very, very well. 9 pounds is a great Induction loss.

Frustrating as it is, it is extremely common for the body to pause for a few weeks after an initial big loss. The shrunken fat cells hang onto extra water for a while to "reassure" themselves you are not going to starve them forever. Once they realise there is food coming in, they will relinquish some of that water and you will begin losing again.

Did you know that the usual Induction loss is 10% of the weight you wish to lose, followed by a further 5 to 10% a month after that? So you are ahead.

Remember that a true stall is 4 to 6 weeks of no pounds OR inches lost.

Just keep following your plan, and soon some more weight will leave.

Cheers.

Rosebud