Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 19:54

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question 2 Q's: #1 about splenda #2 about redi whip

im scared to use splenda.. i have food allergies.. should I give it a try? I dont have any deathly allergies.. but I do get sick from somethings.. however I never got sick from sorbitol..

how bad is redi whip? it says it has less than 1 g of carbs.. the chocolate only has 1 (but less than 1 of sugar).. and a serving is 2 tbs.. I know we're to avoid sugar.. what will this do to me if i have a bit and it calms my cravings?

thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

If Splenda spooks you, try stevia which is a natural sweetener.

It's only my opinion, but I think Reddi-wip may do you more harm than good in the cravings department. It does contain sugar and the combination of sugar and fat can merrily send you on your way to binge hell and/or needing it everyday.

If you measure out 2 level tablespoons of the stuff, you'll be surprised a how teensy it is and I don't think anyone has ever used 2 level tablespoons.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:38

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

since splenda is made from sugar, if you arent allergic to sugar, id think you wouldnt be allergic to splenda, but still be careful and dont over do it the first time you try it just in case you are allergic

about the redi whip, if you figure out youre not allergic to splenda, just make your own home made whipped cream. redi whip (at least cool whip did) might have hydrogenated oil which is a carcinogen so youd want to stay away from it. i dont know if that small amount of real sugar will do anything though, my first week on atkins i ate cool whip and i still lost weight..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default splenda and r whip

I have lots of food sensitivities and have tried lots of sweeteners and Splenda is the only that does not give me a reaction. (either headace or stomach problems) And it does not give me heat flashes which sugar used to and almost every other low carb/low cal sweetener did.
Stevia is great as well. But for cooking and availability purposes I usually use Splenda.

Redi Whip not only has sugar it has nitrous oxide and some other stuff that in large quantities can bestow a nasty headache (yup found that out the hard way!) and as Karen said the sugar is still there.

Homemade whipped cream rocks and you can flavor it any way you want.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 01:11

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:

thank you all for your replies! you dont know how much they are appreciated!

yes i think ive decided to omit redi whip.. it made my cheeks turn pink both times I tried to get away with it besides.. even though its not super sweet i did find myself thinking about it by the time i was coming home from work

im going to try splenda if i can get up the nerve.. but i will try the homemade whipped cream if i can.. and i think youre right, i wont overdo it.. i think thats where people have run into problems (i only came across ONE site on the ENTIRE web listing allergies ~ and the web is a HUGE place~.. but these people had allergies to chlorine (which is used to separate the sugar) and the others were probably sugar sensitive (there werent that many anyhow.. so its a very rare thing).. I cant find stevia anywhere and im a bit more afraid of that since its an herb..

ROFL i know im so crazy..

i hope splenda works.. even though im not supposed to have dairy, im dying to try those mock danishes..

ps: karen youre an awesome chef! the recipes ive tried here.. oh my goodness.. just super duper and dear hubby loves them!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Thanks peapod! If you do want to try stevia, it's available at natural foods stores.

Karen