Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/191.5/144 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile I'm new to this site and on day 4 of induction!

Hello everyone!

My name is Julie. I'm 32 years old and have around 70 pounds to lose. I'm on day 4 of induction and am really craving sugar today. I'm looking for new friends with great tips for our success! Thanking you in advance!

Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:39
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Julie,

I don't have any *tips* to curve those cravings but I can most definately relate to them! I succumbed to temptation last weekend & ate three or four S'mores, a couple hot dogs w/bun & ketchup, and drank regular sweet tea. I went camping & just couldn't handle the diet any more! I am back now & better than ever. I am actually doing better this week than when I first started as far as what I eat but I sometimes forget that I am dieting & damn near stick something chocolate in my mouth! It's so discouraging but I am hopeful that it will subside with time! Good luck to you! It just has to get better!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:42

Plan: Smart Carb,Atkins,low fat
Stats: 197.5/189.5/150 Female 5feet 4 inches
BF:in a relationship
Progress: 17%
Wink Try Glutamine

Hi Julie, I have just moved into my second week of Induction. Last week, from this web site, I learned of glutamine. I went and got some from the health food store and take one in the morning. 500 mg, and it is really amazing. I am loosing the sugar/carb thing. I am feeling full, and seem to be reaching for water! Not chocolate! I don't know why.....I am just going with whatever works. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:43
Registered Member

Stats: 208/191.5/144 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink

Thanks JonBonJovi Fan!
Well, I think the weekends will be harder for me. I'm not hungry, but still crave the sweets! I have a can of ready made frosting in my kitchen cabinet that has been calling my name, but I just don't want to give in and feel like a loser. I have a lot of weight to lose!

We can do it!!!

Julie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:31

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi, there, make it easier for yourself, get rid of all the high carb, sugar stuff, stock your kitchen with good carbs. Some times the first week is the hardest to get through, I'm not a sweet eater, but about day 5, I was really craving something sweet, just guzzle that water!

Good Luck, Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I second Miss Lilly's post on the glutamine. Have read on this forum that it helps out a lot with cravings, especially in the early going. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 07:47

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%

Hey Julie,

Welcome to the boards and to this way of eating. Low carbing is the best and you've come to the right place for information and support. These boards are Awesome!!!!

As for the sugar cravings, I have to concur the L-glutimine pills definitely help. I take 500mg's about a half hour before breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dr. Atkins talks about it in his DANDR book. Also, as time goes on, you're cravings should subside. Keep you carbs to 20 or less, maintaining ketosis, and that will help too.

I also agree with Kathy54, get rid of all bad carbs in your house and stock it up with acceptable good carbs/foods. That way, the temptation won't be as powerful. And drink plenty of water.

You may experience sluggishness, headaches on induction, but it's all normal. Feels icky at times, but it's your body adjusting to this new way of eating. Hang in there and it will pass.

Welcome and good luck on your LC journey