Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrade addict
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Question and compliment for "Karen"

After reading the following:

"You also have to recognize that many die-hard addicts would not touch CAD/CALP with a thousand foot pole. I am one of them. For me, and many others, abstinence is what works. My insulin levels do not rise after eating artificial sweeteners. I have solid proof of it by using a glucometer."

Would you mind if I asked why (I just started CAD, and am curious), and could you please post what the difference between the plan you follow and CAD is? Also should I buy a glucometer?

The compliment is for your rhubarb crumble. I made it 2 nights ago, and it was fantastic, we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 09:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Would you mind if I asked why (I just started CAD, and am curious), and could you please post what the difference between the plan you follow and CAD is?

Carol, I would love to answer it!

My carb addiction is exactly like being addicted to any drug and you'll find many of us addicts on the forum. One bite and I'm spinning off on a binge. I've used carbs all my life. Not only did I eat them, I "used" them. and created an unhealthy relationship to food and my inner workings. I've tried the CAD/CALP reward meal and it sends me right over the edge. Like the alcoholic saying goes...one is too many and a thousand is never enough.

I've just recently come off a whole year of being addicted to low-carb sweets. I would eat them every day and justify it by saying they were low-carb. Kind of like a junkie going to methadone and never really dealing with the addiction. I did really well with Protein Power when I first started low-carbing and I've been on a full-circle, low-carb journey right back to the beginning again. I became far too smug and complacent with low-carbing and it was time to stop messin' around.

My Back to Basics Challenge started here with 6 days of eating lean meats to "clean the slate" and then moving back into my basic Protein Power plan again. Just like starting to low-carb in the beginning, it difficult but it seems like a breeze now except for one recent afternoon of madness. So, it will give you an idea of what I eat on a daily basis.

On PP you can have limited amounts of fruit and grain. You start at 30 grams a day and stay there until you are within sight of your goal weight. Lettuces are unlimited and not counted towards your daily carb count. You also figure out your minimum protein requirements based on your lean body mass. High fat dairy is limited too, which works very well for me because my drug of choice is combining artificial sweeteners with whipping cream, cream cheese etc. I eat smaller meals more frequently and make sure that I have vegetables and protein with each meal. I follow Protein Power a bit differently than what's allowed though. I eat berries on occasion, but rarely any fruit and no grains.

My bottom line is: If I have an overwhelming desire to eat something, then it's exactly what I should not be eating.

I don't think you'll find many people obsessing in a compulsive way about steak and a Caesar salad.

I bought the glucometer out of curiosity but I don't think it's at all necassary. I used it for a while to see how my body reacted to certain foods but that was quite a while ago. All I have to do to stay the course is eat cleanly.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much for your reply Karen. I have been doing CAD for less than a week now, and have lost 3 1/2 pounds so far. I will give it awhile to see how it goes, and if I find it isn't working for me, then I will try your diet. I was only in the "mild addiction", on the test. 36 1/2 more pounds to go
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 09:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I was only in the "mild addiction", on the test.

Then you'll probably do just fine with CAD.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 09:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Karen, I hope so! Have a great day!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 15:25

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Carol,

I was quite concerned about being able to stay in control on CAD - I loved Atkins because I didn't have cravings and I could eat normal amounts of food without gaining. The downside for me was that I didn't lose weight, and I ran out of steam after 7 or 8 months and I kept losing hair. I also didn't score exceptionally high on the cad test. However, I tried it and it works really well for me - all the advantages of Atkins, plus I get to eat a 'regular meal' once a day. I don't get out of control, and I really enjoy a 'treat'. I usually have a balanced sensible nutritious low-glycemic carb, but sometimes I throw out all the rules (except the 60 min rule - that is sacred) for my RM. I actually enjoy not needing or desiring snacks. To me, that is liberating.

Best wishes and keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Lila
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:09

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Atkins to CAD ... My .02

This is my opinion, from personal experience, so please take it with a grain of salt.

I think that people have better luck on CAD/CALP if they have done Atkins Induction first. (Or some other form of detox/deprogramming).

I personally did both that, and for a few days what Rachel Heller did when she first started losing her weight - only one meal a day. My RM. I find that if I have a strict 'detox' period - a few days minimum, to two or more weeks, then I do better with cravings and such when I go to a plan that allows more of the 'risky' foods. Remember - just because you technically CAN have a food, doesn't mean you should, that's it's the best choice to fuel your body.

I think that some people also appreciate the added carbs when going to CAD/CALP.

Now, some people can't do the 'one bite' thing. "One bite is too many, one thousand is too few." I've been that person too. Especially if I don't detox for a few days before starting CAD/CALP.

I also have a health scare on my side. I skimmed under the numbers for diabetes last month. Very close call, and I DO NOT want to be diagnosed. So, I have three months to turn it around, and go in again for tests. So, if I don't eat right, I'll be getting that big diagnosis.

Anyway, my original point was that it's hard to appreciate a certain plan unless you've tried some others. Each has it's own spin on the low-carb thing. Or, at least this is my finding. I've had to fail at a lot of things, to become successful now.

My advice is to try the one that appeals the most for a month, at the end of that time figure out how you feel - how's your hunger/craving level? have you lost weight or inches? how's your energy? mental accuity? If you are happy with all aspects, then keep going. If something doesn't 'fit', then research another plan. Try it for a month. Ask the same questions again at the end of that month. If you go through a bunch of plans without finding the perfect fit, maybe consider taking the parts of those plans you've done that worked the best for you, and mesh them into Your Plan. Only you truly know your body.

I have personally done this. I've tried several plans over the last 3 1/2 years, some over and over again. This has been my most successful start. Over the last month I have slowly incorporated one change, then another. I altered my portion sizes (I can only consume about 1 cup of food at any given time), gave up sugar (for RM's, anything I eat has to have less than 3 grams of sugar per serving, regardless of carb count), started exercising everyday, did Atkins Induction for one week, and then moved to CAD/CALP. I've lost 11 pounds and 11.25 inches.

Good luck in whatever plan you do. Come here often. You'll find tons of information, support, and advice. Search the past posts for things that interest or concern you. Ask, ask, ask.

From my Amway days, there's a saying. Find people who are where you want to be, and then ask them how they got there. Let them be your mentor's, your inspiration.

Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 06:47
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I totally agree with Melissa. This is not a one size fits all diet world. While a plan as written might be perfect for some, that doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. Another plan might answer perfectly. Or, depending on body chemistry, someone's perfect plan might be bits and pieces from many plans. The secret is to observe and listen to your body and give any plan a chance to work. The perfect plan for an individual, whether it's made up of one or parts from many, is one that makes you feel good physically and mentally, one that gives you energy and good health and one that helps you lose weight and maintain it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Lila2002, I agee with you about the "regular meal", it is that, that keeps me on the diet through the rest of the day. I think my biggest downfall is my "sweet-tooth", but knowing that I can have dessert with dinner is all I need. If I was on a diet that allowed no "sweets" at all, I don't think I could get through the day! lol I do find that my craving for something sweet has diminished on this diet though, which is a good thing.

CaarbJunky2, you made some excellent points about trying other plans if one doesn't work for you. I actually wondered myself what some of the other plans might do for me, and if I find after a month that this one doesn't "fit", then I will try a different one.

Zuleikaa, I like your idea about using different plans to make up a plan that works for you. If I do decide to try some other diets, I will keep that in mind.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me out, I really do appreciate it! Have a great day